We'll see how it goes. I scored a 2001 RX that supposedly has 60 hours on this engine. Debating on how far I need to go checking this thing out. I'll be installing it in a 2000 RX. I'm planning on keeping the ski unless someone wants it more than me. I'm gonna pull all the parts off the donor ski and scrap it.
Compression check... maximum suckage. 110psi. I guess I'll be liting into this engine real quick since it is out of the ski. May as well put my R&D head on there and do some other stuff while I'm in there. Here we go !!
Cylinder bores are standard size and not all that bad, ring wear is what one might expect. I didn't find a reason for the compression to be where it is. I know my gauge is working because I must measured the XP at 150psi just to check it.
After a few minutes of pondering and mic-ing the cylinder bores many times... again and again. Then a hone job with more measuring..... this girl is getting a .50mm over bore job. The cylinders would work but would be at the upper end of the range but we're in for the long haul. I'm kinda proud that I bought the engine donor ski Thursday and it is stripped and at the dump on Monday. I got skis everywhere and don't want no mo !! If this RX is anything like the 96XP I am finishing up on... yikes !!
I brought the RX home from the hangar. Now it's gonna get real. Work came to a screeching halt yesterday. Rave valves are too short.... go figure !! The cylinders were standard bore too. I wonder how much power the engine was making ?? Awe.... the stuff I find working on these skis. Test everything.... trust nothing. LOL
I need a decent head as I don't want to install the R&D head.
Fairly productive today. Now officially waiting on parts. Pulled the engine.... LOL Boy O Boy.... people. Guy told me he rode this ski last year and forgot to winterize it. He was trying to free up the engine. Good luck with that... even the carbs were frozen in position. Cylinders may be good .75 mills over. Oh yea... the rave valve was frozen into position also. There goes that failure to winterize again. He broke one of the valves.
Pulled the engine and did some clean up. Waiting on parts for the other engine, cylinders are bored, head came in today and it looks really good. Got it from Irby's. I like those people. I'll probably sell the R&D head I have for the engine. I'm keeping them stock.
The ski isn't really a looker and someone did a fiberglass repair. I'm not sure the side of the ski is gelcoat.
So.... I thought this might interest some people. When I bought these 2 skis the guy had the head off the RX. He was soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil trying to free up the engine. He said, "I didn't winterize it". I wonder how many years ago that was. LOL Also....I wonder how much penetrating oil it would have taken to free this baby up. I actually had to cut one connecting rod with a torch. Hopefully I can save some parts.
It's really only the 1 cylinder that was stuck. I'm wondering if the engine casings will be good. I'd like to rebuild it but it probably isn't worth the trouble. That won't stop me taking in apart though.
I was comparing to the 787 engines. So what would be a compression number if I installed the R&D head I have. I'm not actually going to put the head on the engine I'm going to install on this ski. I've read if one does this you have to run 93 octane gasoline. I'm just curious.