2000 gti---not a good day

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1103

Out on Barnegat Bay and my 2000GTI will run for 10 seconds or so and then die--did this for about 20 min than had my other ski tow me in. As soon as I started to be towed in the ski started and stayed running until I got to my floating dock--about 15 min without stalling.

Drove the ski up on to the floating dock--a little to fast and nudged the bulk head AND heard a weird noise. Took off the seat and saw the drive shaft was out of the motor

Now a couple of questions

1-I do not think the starting problems and the drive shaft are related--correct?
2-Can I tow the ski to the boat ramp without getting water in the hull
3-What would cause the drive shaft from separating from the motor?
4-Any ideas why the ski would stay running after being towed?

Thanks as always

Gary

Ski can be towed at a slow pace or you can clamp off the water inlet hose and not worry about water entering cylinders. If you are worried about water in the engine pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over and see if water shoots out. Do this step ASAP.

Started to replace the drive shaft and carbon seal and could not understand how the shaft separated from the motor.
Decided to take off the jet pump thinking the shaft broke in half--this was not the case.
Looking at it further all 4 motor mounts broke--as best as I could tell so far the mounts are still screwed to the hull and somehow the rubber separated.

Since all 4 mounts need to be replaced, it is easier to remove the motor and do the work outside the ski and has anybody experienced all 4 mounts coming apart?

Gary

On the driveshaft, that top hat looking piece slides toward the back to expose a metal clip that pops out...then the DS is free to come out.

Motor mounts do rot, Ive noticed when I sell a set they are usually going to a salt water area. Just a theory.

You will need to pull the pump bc it will need to be properly aligned once you get new mounts in there. I would just move the motor enough to replace the mounts, I would not pull the motor out of the hull.

If you are going to go new I recommend RHass mounts, best out there but are kind of spendy. If you want a good set of used ones I have them in stock.

thanks for the info
contacted rhass and have a new set on their way
also I do ride in salt water--your theory is holding up

Gary

Replaced all 4 motor mounts
Aligned the motor--thanks Kevin for the tool rental
Replaced all fuel lines ,filters, reserve switch, check valves, carburetor

Now before I install the drive shaft, I'm assuming it is ok to start the engine without
causing any damage since the carbon seal is not installed and running it not on the hose
is also ok

Please advise

Gary

It's kind of funny when the driveshaft is in but the pump isn't.... Did that on accident once I'm like WTF is with all the vibration!

update--2000 and 2002 GTI's

so after a very trying 2015 season I decided to:

replaced the carburetor--with the correct needle,pilot jet and spring
replaced the inline fuel filter, water separator filter and fuel selector
replaced the inline oil filter
replaced remaining grey fuel lines on the 2000 GTI
replaced the 2 check valves that go into the side of the hull
replaced the spark plugs

And to my great surprise both skis started right up on the trailer

Went to the dock to put the first ski in the water, started right up
Went for about 5 minutes and the motor stopped and could not get it started,and got
towed to my floating dock--it took 4 of us to pull it up on the dock where it could be done with
1 or 2 guys. Took off the seats and the hull was full of water--forgot to put the drain plugs in, my wife finally told me to shut up with the words of wisdom I was yelling at myself. Took out the spark plugs and got the water out of the jugs by cranking the starter--took about 3hours to do this, got the jet ski started and is running pretty good

Jet Ski #2--all good at the dock--after putting in the drain plugs

Looking forward to a great summer season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back