2000 GS - Revs up but won't go!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinw

Hello all! I have a 2000 Seadoo GS. Bought brand new from dealer in 2000. Maintained/winterized it as per owners manual and it has never failed me until now. I took it out the other day for the first time since last season and it ran great and all of the sudden it quit thrusting forward. Motor runs great, still. Just won't go forward. Oh, I checked the jet and shaft for any obstruction and its clean/clear. Any ideas?

To not get any power to thrust forward or your ski doesn't move at all in the water, your jet pump isn't working. Your jet pump works off of a impeller prop inside of it and it is spun my the crank shaft from the engine. Check the jet pump to see if it has anything blocking off the intake grate on the bottom of the ski.

Take off your PTO cuppler cover off and rotate it by hand. Please notice if your engine is turning over by doing this. Then have someone look into the jet pump and see if the impeller is rotating when you rotate the PTO cuppler.

If the engine doesn't turn over, then your drive shaft isn't connected to the engine any more and if your impeller isn't turning then you have a drive shaft/impeller issues.

If they both work then you need to replace the wear ring as you are experiencing cavitation in the pump.

This issue can be fixed, but you must narrow down where and what is causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have said that it does move forward but only at idle speed even while giving it gas. seems like it tries to take off for a split second and cavitates. What I meant when I said it won't move forward is that it wont get up on a plane and stay there. I see now that it makes a big difference in moving some and not moving at all. This leads me to think that LouDoo is correct about the wear ring.

Check the wear ring by having someone flash a light into the intake grate. If you look into the pump from the back side of ski and see large ring of light around the impeller then that is a quick way to tell if you wear ring is bad. Most impeller and wear ring's wall clearance spec is within 0.04" or 1 mm. You can check this with a feeler gauge.

It can also be the spline on the drive shaft as they do fail more often then they should.

I am with the others though, likely a wear ring issue. If you pull the pump to do the job I would pull and look at the drive shaft splines.

Thank you LouDoo, nsschwenk and Coastiejoe. I'm going to take y'alls advice and look at it when I get off of work this afternoon. I'll update my finds soon.

dustinw, be sure to check the intake grate as well. I once picked up a piece of grass on mine, one thin strand, and I couldn't get outta the hole till I removed it.

Takes suprisingly little destroy the proper flow.

I am in the same satiation like yours, took my jet boat to the lake today and raves up to 7k but move on ideal then all the sudden worked fine. Then I lower the speed and tried to go faster again but didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet you're missing a chunk of your wear ring, changing it out is at least a great excuse to change your pump oil for the season!

This is how my pump look like and sound like any help and guides is highly appreciated.
326.jpg
327.jpg
328.jpg
329.jpg
330.jpg

Looks like the wear ring is shot. Tough to tell in the pictures, but if you can slide a dime between the impeller and wear ring, it needs to be replaced.

Thanks, what do you think about the missing drive shaft seal from the impeller, I couldn't see any seal when I checked ( see pix) should be ok like without it?

Thanks, what do you think about the missing drive shaft seal from the impeller, I couldn't see any seal when I checked ( see pix) should be ok like without it?

if you are talking about the plastic sleeve that goes over the shaft, you don't need it.

"IMO, it sounds like the bearings in the pump. I'll let others offer up an opinion. "

This: ^

Is that a 5mm gap between the impeller blades and the wear ring? I can see daylight through the jet pump from behind the boat, I think.

I haven't seen the video, but I bet USAF has you on the right track!

Yes I meant the black plastic collar that goes on the shaft and the impeller. Should I buy one or keep it as it is?

Item #16 is an attempt at trying to avoid wrapping a rop around the drive shaft and causing it to be bent. It doesn't work well and actually can cause more problems than it solves.

There is another plastic piece, a collar the diameter of the shaft by 3/4 inch length that slips onto the shaft before installing the pump. This black plastic collar is intended to help keep grease in the impeller splines from being washed away and yes, I would definitely install this piece if it was missing, and grease those splines inside the impeller before installing the repaired jet pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back