2000 challenger speedo not working ???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

koby6587

I bought the boat have rebuilt the motor replaced all things like fuel filter pump oil stator oil plugs touched up some vinyl work washed and waxed now id like trying to get the speedo working, wondered if anyone else has done any work on theirs i see two wires leading to the sensor and have checked fuses and wires to make sure its not something stupid.. thanks ahead of time for any input... Since i have owned the boat for going on second season it has not worked. Any suggestions

Need more info

Does engine turn over?
Is the lanyard installed (next to steering wheel)?
Is the fuel pressure good (not too hard to measure)
Do the spark plugs have a spark?

JohnH - I think he means the speedo isn't working not the boat.

koby, are all the little prongs still on the wheel in the back. Have you followed the 2 wires to it's plug?
Have you tried to disconnect the plug then cleaning it and reinstalling it?
Done anything to the gauge?

Does engine turn over?
Is the lanyard installed (next to steering wheel)?
Is the fuel pressure good (not too hard to measure)
Do the spark plugs have a spark?

your correct boat runs great.. The wheel seems to be 100% nothings broken spins nice i have noticed today that the wires near the hull inside looked to be a little browned for a small section im gonna check it out again latter climb right in but wires end to end seem clean(unplug sprayed cleaner electric cleaner reconnect)

So i double traced everything and the burnt looking area i thought i saw was the caulk/sealant from the hull and wire... unless speedpmeter is messed up im gonna go ahead and replace the wheel unit in the next couple weeks get one off ebay... weathers still chilly here anyways i rewinterized the boat getting freezing temps at night will wait for another few weeks or so till we get 60's 70's again

Are you getting 12v at gauge? If so, gauge may gone bad.

yeah i see ther is 4 or 5 5 i think wires at the back of it ill test them all i have to go borrow a gauge but it is accessible. 2 white wires head to the tail of sensor all the way to the gauge i see.not sure which ones i should have the 12 volts at? i have the oem manual i bought from merc for 95 bucks 6 monthes ago but i guess i have to buy the sea doo booklet for sea doos gauges pumps and wiring diagrams.

If any one has access or knows any info about the wires and voltage resistance colors etc i would love any info if anyone has it to share thanks so much!!! i see what i can come up with on testing the wires for power.

Just unplug the harness and check for voltage on each pin. You should see ~12v on one of them.

so it ended up being a bad gauge works decent now at full throttle on smooth water it says 46 but I GPS it at 50.8

so it ended up being a bad gauge works decent now at full throttle on smooth water it says 46 but I GPS it at 50.8

Remember... you are on water... so if you are going with the flow... the boat may only be going 46 mph on the water... but if the water is flowing 4.8 mph... the GPS will show your true speed. (just thinking out loud)

Remember... you are on water... so if you are going with the flow... the boat may only be going 46 mph on the water... but if the water is flowing 4.8 mph... the GPS will show your true speed. (just thinking out loud)

Very true we ride the St Lawrence river must the time I should have thought about that thanks for the thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back