2000 Challenger 2000

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharlow

I have a 2000 Challenger 2000 and I am curious how long I should allow for warmup before heading out from the dock. It always starts fine when I turn the key but late last summer it started having a problem where it will die right after I start it if I don't immediately put it in gear and bump the throttle up a little bit. I end up having to start it 2-3 times before even backing it off the trailer and then once it's off the trailer it seems to want to die for the first several minutes if I have it in Neutral.

It didn't do this when I first bought it (beginning of last year) but towards the end of the summer last year it started this problem.

Once we are out on the water and moving it doesn't seem to have an issue unless we stop for a prolonged period of time to let the kids swim or something and then restart it. If we are tubing or whatever and stop/start the engine for loading/unloading passengers it doesn't seem to have this issue so it leads me to believe that it's likely caused by a cold engine.

Do you think this a serious issue or am I just not letting it warm up enough? It also seems to be smoking a little more since this problem started but with 2-stokes it's hard to really gauge how much smoke is "more than normal"...

What should I check first?

I would start with putting a new set of sparkplugs in. Then... check the TPS and the port side temp sender.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I plan to do the Port Side Temp Sensor as soon as I can get the code off of my engine to ensure I’m ordering the right part.

Is there a certain brand of spark plugs that work better (or is recommended) over others? I know some 2 stroke engines are kinda finicky when it comes to spark plugs.

As for checking the TPS, is there a tutorial/write-up anywhere on this forum that walks through how to check the TPS? If so, can you provide a link to it? I have no background on checking a TPS.

I put the same ones in that came out of the engine. I did gap all the plugs as well. The installed plugs had totally wacked gaps. I was amazed at how far off they were. My engine was running OK, but I could hear it miss occasionally at speed. New plugs solved it and it was a cheap fix.

In any 2-stroke engine... I like NGK standard plugs. For whatever reason... NGK's are the only plugs that can really stand up to a 2-stroke.

Actually... I just looked back... and I didn't see what engine you had. So... what one is it? (210, 200 Opti, 240 EFI)

Hey biff.... did you remove the factory plugs?? Last year, someone was having a rough running engine, and when they pulled the plugs, they had black paint on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boat has a 240EFI. I looked today and it has NGK BPZ8HS10 plugs in it right now. I looked online and I can get them locally for about $5.50 each so I will probably try to do that.

As for the Port Temp Sensor, I was looking at the other thread and it seemed a little confusing. My serial # is 376372 and I didn't see that in the ranges listed on the other post (I may have missed it). Anyway, I looked at Boats.net and they have the part listed as 13536A14, I didn't order it yet because I am still trying to confirm 100% that is the one I need.... If you can be any help on that it would be awesome.

Also any feedback you can provide on how to check/adjust the TPS would be great. I don't have any type of manual for my boat so I'm kinda lost on that one.

One more thing I just thought of, I want to replace the fuel filter and so I was doing some searches on the forums hoping to find some help. I see people talking about inline clear filters but I couldn't find one on my boat anywhere. Did the Challenger 2000 with the 240EFI have this type of filter? If not should I add one?

The only fuel filter I am seeing is the screw on one that looks like an oil filter. I plan on ordering one of those too but haven't yet. Are they hard to replace? With the system being EFI is it under pressure? If so how to I relieve the pressure before removing the filter?

Thanks again for all your help!

The systems in the Mercury engines are a little convoluted... and it's very hard to work on one without a manual. I would suggest getting it. If you want a hard copy, there are a few on ebay for about $40. OR... if you join this board, you can down load it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190847515917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also.. don't drop any letters off your S/N. I'm sure it starts with "0E."

Your engine has 3 fuel filters. 1) The big, spin-on filter on the side. 2) the screen on the bottom of the high pressure pump. 3) the metal fitting on the bottom of the lift pump. Since you are having issues... I would replace all of them. The spin-on filter is a service point, that is supposed to be a yearly replacement. (it's also the water trap) I added an in-line filter to my boat, because I like to be able to see if there is junk in the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back