2000 Challenger 2000 intermittent engine cutoff

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoodude1

Took the boat out over spring break week. Challenger with Mercury 240 EFI M2 jet. Day 1 no problems. Day 2 filled up gas tank and during day engine would cut off periodically throughout the day but start right back up and run fine for another 30-45 minutes. Day 3 no problems. At first I thought it was water in the gas after fillup at marina, but since it would start right back up and run probably not that. Any ideas what would cause the enging to cut off abruptly? Perhaps something electrical?

That's a tough one. With it cutting out but then staring right back up it sounds like an electrical problem, but there are a number of electrical issues that could cause it. You have both a stator, and a trigger that sit under the flywheel and the ECM that all help control spark, with anyone of them being able to cause the same type of symptom.

You need to start with the real basic things, and replace the plugs and fuel filter and go from there. Other than that, if it starts right back up it's hard to do much testing, because as soon as you go to test a component if the engine starts it wont show any problems. You could try calling a local Mercury dealer and see what they charge to scan the ECM, to see if it has stored any faults.

Aaron

Thanks for the reply. At least it starts right back up instead of leaving us stranded. I'll do some maintenance and run it some more and if it still acts up.

i have the same problem , but only my boat only runs about 5 minutes, i hear a click in the speed control , maybe it´s a switch or something... :(

Still experiencing random shutdown and it will start right back up and run without problem until the next time it shuts down. I did change the fuel filters. Some days it will run without incident, other days it will shutdown several times, so far always at high speed.

I'm thinking something electrical. A sensor or something??

A friend of mine had the same problem on his Challenger 2000.
He replaced the faulty dess post (where the lanyard is attached) and seems to help. :cheers:
Good luck!

Paolo

Still experiencing random shutdown and it will start right back up and run without problem until the next time it shuts down. I did change the fuel filters. Some days it will run without incident, other days it will shutdown several times, so far always at high speed.

I'm thinking something electrical. A sensor or something??

When it quits does it feel like it is running out of fuel, or more like the key has been turned off? A few members with the Mercury have had problems with the ignition switch causing the type of symptom you are describing.

Aaron:cheers:

Aaron, It's like the key is turned off. I'll check the safety switch and key switch connections or replace if necessary.

What else could it be, some sensor on engine known to cause this problem? But I'll start with switches since you guys are leading me that way.

Thanks

Check your trigger. I have the same year and model of engine. Have had a lot of trouble.
We found that the wires under the trigger (connection wires to the trigger) have been eaten by corosion. Some of them was almost cut in half.

Might or might not be ypur problem but check..
//Chrille

chrille wats this trigger assembly you are talkin bout maybe its somethign i can check out on my 250

Its located under the flywheel and stator. Check the wires coming out underneath all the way to the connection plug.

If you can se damaged wires that can cause starproblems, cut outs, and a lot of strange things.

Easy check.

Today it was cutting off every minute or two while riding across a rough choppy lake whereas before on smoother water, it only happened intermittently. Problem seems related to bouncing around, therefore I assume it is electrical. I'll be checking the trigger wires and report back.

Check exhaust hoses on 240EFI M2

I just went through a month of trouble shooting my Challeger and discovered that the exhaust hoses were the problem. I could start the boat fine every time. I just couldn't get over 3000 rpm. Do the hoses feel soft at the bend near the water box/muffler? When the boat is in idle hold the exhaust hose at the bend and see if it feels like something is vibrating inside. Both of my exhaust hoses were bad. They look fine from the outside but the inside was coming apart and blocking the exhaust flow. You can double click on my name at the left and see my other posts regarding this.

i'm ordering some parts, including exhaust hoses because they do feel sort of soft. however my engine reaches full RPM, so I doubt that is what is causing it to shut down intermittently. frustrating.......

exhaust hoses

The manufacturer is www.tridentmarine.com but they don't sell direct. The web site lists the local dealers. I replaced mine with PN 100-250. I really don't recommend people do what I did but it works great. The problem is that the engine exhaust port is about 2.75" in OD and the muffler port is about 3 1/8" in OD. I bought some foil tape from Home Depot that is used for ducting work. I wrapped the tape around the engine port until the diameter matched the muffler diameter. See photos below. In order to inspect the inside of the hose you will probably have to cut the hose at the engine. It's melted on. Then you have to buy a new one anyway. If your boat is 8 or 9 years old and you have used it a lot I would bet the hoses are delaminated on the inside. I would buy Seadoo hoses if you don't like the foil tape idea. Bouncing around on the water will allow the exhaust to flow sometimes and other times not. Water is going through the hose and can get dammed up and blocked in the exhaust.

My boat ran the best it ever has today. I think it is getting better gas mileage too!!

Attachments

• IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2950_edited.jpg
    IMG_2950_edited.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2952_edited.jpg
    IMG_2952_edited.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
How we discovered the exhaust hose problem

I had installed a fuel pressure gauge on the engine to check the psi. The test port is located on top of the vapor separator housing. It looks like a valve on a bicycle tire. I opened up the engine compartment lid and had my son monitor the fuel pressure while I was driving the boat. The fuel pressure was between 32 and 36 psi all the time which is good. My son just happened to mention to me that when the rpm dropped down that that the exhaust hose got real big and expanded like a ballon. I would have never found that problem in a million years since I can't drive and look at the engine at the same time.

I read on another that the exhaust hoses were a recall item. I ordered seadoo hoses from the parts link at top of this forum. I also ordered new plugs and trigger coil from crowleymarine just to throw a few more suspect parts at it. If these don't fix it I may have to take it in for diagnostics.

Look inside hoses

As long as you are ordering new hoses could you take off the olds ones now and look inside. I'm really curious. If you replace everything at once we may not know the exact cause. Just use a box cutting knife to slit the hoses at the attachment ends to save time and frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back