1999 GTX RFI pre-season maintance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwagner

Hello guys!

Been a while since I posted on here.

Just bought a pair of 1999 gtx rfi skis with around 70 hours each. bodies are perfect no fading in the paint and no tears in the seat. I have noticed a few things wrong with them that I want to fix as I am a maintainer perfectionist and want these skis to be perfect looking and running even after 900 hours.

First off one of the skis needs a new info panel and the other needs a speedo. I found these on ebay and will fix soon. I know to use lots of dielectric grease on connectors to keep water out.

second they need covers. does poppy company make a good trailerable cover? if not who would you recommend?
I will also be replacing the trailer bearings soon.

third both skis make a decent amount of pump rattle. I read this is normal on older skis but also read that its fixable. should I bother to do this? if not what pump maintance should be done? these were driven in salt water for some of their life and will be used in salt by me a lot. should I get a new wear ring?

fourth what yearly maintiance should I be doing on these? I know 2 strokes need spark plugs every year and new gas and oil line filters. what do the pumps need? I understand there are grease fittings on the engine and pump but I don't know where and don't know how often they need replaced/packed.

lastly what replacements should I put of this from its original factory state. for example were these known to have issues with oil injectors blowing out and tying up the engine and therefor I should buy a blanking plate and pre mix oil and gas? do I need to replace the factory injectors because they get gummed up and stop properly functioning?

I know you guys are the best online for sea doo advice and would appreciate anything you can do to help me! thanks!

Poppy covers are trailerable I have 2 of them on mine and they work good. The pumps rattle all the time unless you are in the water and I am sure your year has the anti-rattle kit. You will see the plastic insert when you change the oil to verify or they are like $20 a pump to buy. You have power valves they need cleaning every year, oil filter is like every 2 years or so, pump oil every season, plugs every season or as needed. Get the manuals for them from here or other free sites since they go over all the stuff you should need to do or fix. Your like 15 years old so replace oil and fuel lines as need be and if you see those gray Tempo lines get them replaced fast.

+1 on the poppy covers are among the best! rfi skis don't have grey tempo gas lines so no worries there. leave the oil pump on as you cannot premix a fuel injected engine as it will play havoc with the injectors. besides, the oil pumps are pretty reliable. just make sure the small oil injection hoses are plyable and not brittle, if so replace them. and make sure you use the correct injection oil brp xps full synthetic or a brand of equivalent specs.

so it looks like I need to buy 2 poppy covers that's two people who give the thumbs up and that's good for me.

I'm going to assume that the previous owner didn't do proper maintaince as that's always the safe route.

You recommend I first off check all hoses to still be plyable. when I checked upon purchasing them they seemed decent and worked well for the week I rode them in south florida, however as they are without a doubt original I will replace them. the skis are 17 years old! (hard to believe 99 was that long ago right?)

I know they sound decent in the water so no worries there on the rattle just wanted to note that for you guys.

you mention power valves. I am unaware as to what they are, but will do some research and be sure to clean them out.

inline oil filter needs replaced, pump oil needs replaced (not sure how to do this but I'm sure there are videos on youtube), and plugs need replace. by plugs you mean the little plastic screws that keep water out of the boat on the back?

I amazingly have the original manuals for both and all paperwork. previous owner was pretty good about that stuff and about the skis in general.

the footwells and boarding deck pads are a bit swollen where can I get these new? ebay?
[MENTION=37142]wfo[/MENTION]speedracer I believe the 99 gtxrfi has the 787 rotax in it already. and was unaware the fuel tank filter was inside the tank! thanks for the heads up.
[MENTION=80151]Jammin[/MENTION]77 I always use good oil and understand the injector issues just a idea as ive heard this is a common replacement.

The oil pumps themselves rarely go out its the small oil lines that usually break and fail which mess up the motor. The power vales look like a mushroom sticking out of the engine by the exhaust manifold. Those are what need cleaning yearly. I am sure you know to use synthetic API TC approved oil and you really shouldn't mix brands. Drain and file with whatever brand you choose when servicing the oil system do some pre-mix also in the gas tank in case you get a trapped air bubble or something like that in the oil lines.

If you are using the correct synthetic API-TC oil I feel that cleaning the RAVE valves every year is excessive. I typically ride every weekend in the summer but only for a few hours and go a couple years between cleaning and they still look pretty good. Seeing how yours might have never been done now would be the time.

Don't just use "good" oil, make sure it is full synthetic API-TC rated.

For the traction mats I would replace the factory rubber ones with some Hydroturf. It will be so much better. [MENTION=2]hfgreg[/MENTION] here will give you a great price. I like the Hydroturf better than the SBT Blacktip brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like these hydroturf mats you recommend ill grab some of those too. will be a lot better than the crispy bacon look I have now.

Ive always used synthetic pwc oil quick silver brand I think. didn't know it was such a big deal to have API-TC rated stuff but I think that quicksilver was...

API-TC only seadoo needs or you engine will go bye bye with standard TW3 oil. The OEM mats sucks I usually hold out for the blacktip 1/2 off turkey day sale. $40 for a set of mats is good deal. Its not Hydro turff but the price is right. I have hydro turff on my boat and yammy, put the blacktip on my GTX and GTi.

Upon doing research the oil I have been using is a API-tc low ash oil and is regarded as one of the best for the money but does require regular cleaning of rave valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back