1999 Challenger 1800 won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

atabrizi

Hello Folks,

Thanks for such a great, friendly, and intuitive Forum

I was suckered into buying a very good looking boat and since this was my first jet boat I didn't do my homework to check everything and believed the seller. He claimed everything works and it just needed a battery. I bought a battery and it doesn't turn at all.

I studied almost every thread about 1999 challenger and learned about the beeps on the key insert but mine doesn't even make any beep. I know the battery is good as the horn and bilge pump works when I turn on the switch.

Please HELP me what must I do next? What can I check? I can post pictures if that'll help

Appreciate all the help

Even if it is new, you should have the battery load tested. If good, next thing is to jump the starting solenoid. If it cranks, then the battery, cables, connection, and starter are good. If it does not cranks, those are the first things to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you hear any clicking noises near the engine when you try to start? The beep does not sounding could just be a bad beeper. They do fail or bugs build nests in them. Make sure the lanyard is connecting properly, clean the contacts well, some people seem to say using an erasure helps clean them. Pull the plugs and try to turn the engine by hand by spinning the flywheel. Check if cylinders filled with oil, common problem on these engines are leaking crankseals that hydrolock the engine. Mark the oil level in your tank and see if it drops after a few days when not in use. If it does you have a leaking seal, temporary fix is to install a shutoff valve in the oil line. I have been running that way for 2 seasons. Just remember to re-open the oil line before starting engines.

Funny when I was winterizing my boat yesterday my beeper never sounded. And I have 2 of them as the stock one was intermittent. At least the boat started so no issue there :)

[MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION]: Can you please post pictures or add instructions how can I jump start the solenoid?

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=33449]Stevego[/MENTION]: Should the engine turn easy? I'm in awkward position when leaning in to turn the engine, therefore don't have much power on my wrist. They don't turn and I don't know if it is my strength or they just don't turn

[MENTION=66298]USAF_Pride[/MENTION]: The link is for ski jet, does it also work for boat key buzzer? Do I cut the vinyl on the key buzzer?

[MENTION=66298]USAF_Pride[/MENTION]: The link is for ski jet, does it also work for boat key buzzer? Do I cut the vinyl on the key buzzer?

It works for the boat buzzer. Just unscrew it from underneath the console and stick the new one in (with a bit of wiring)

It will be a bit difficult to turn, try wrapping a belt or something around the flywheel to get more grip. Make sure the plugs are out. If it does not turn at all then it may be seized :(

[MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION]: Can you please post pictures or add instructions how can I jump start the solenoid?

On both sides of the engine compartment there are 2 black boxes, as seen right near the battery in the pic. Inside are the solenoids for the starters. You can bridge the two posts with a heavy screw driver. That will jump power directly to the starter.

You can test the MPEM kinda of in a diagnostic mode--this SHOULD work for the Challenger too, this is from a Speedster

Here is a test for the MPEM.

Boat in neutral, lanyard off
Press EITHER start button 5 times (you should see the tach needles jump a small amount on first press)
You should get one short and 1 long beep
Now put the lanyard on
Now press either start button

If everything is correct that engine should start

If not report the following:

No beeps but engine starts= everything is fine

1 long and 1 short = no lanyard programmed to the MPEM= see your dealer to have a key programmed

2 short beeps = MPEM cannot read the electronic circuit in safety lanyard or the magnet is defective in safety lanyard or Mixed wires at switch connectors or wrong connections.= Replace lanyard with a new one (must be programmed) or check the wiring for the post or replace the DESS post with a new one (no programming required)

2 long beeps = Wrong safety lanyard or wrong connection of the DESS wires.= You have the wrong lanyard (one from a different ski/boat)

3 short beeps = Wiring harness of DESS post is grounded or there is a short circuit. = Inspect wiring to DESS post

557.jpg

You can seed the heavy red wires connected to the solenoid, you want to bridge those.

462.jpg

And it should be said that when you jump the solenoid, expect to see some sparking. Don't let it take you by surprise... :).

Mike

Couple things to add....

1. The beepers are flakey at best. When you put a key on the post, do the gauges move at all? If not, take the key off and hit the start button twice...did the gauges move? If they move with the key off, its likely just the DESS post. If it doesnt do anything....

2. check the fuses on the big black panel in the engine compartment. Make sure proper fuses are installed. If there is a 10 amp in a 5 amp spot or whatever...you can pretty much assume your MPEM is toast.

Now...jump the solenoid on each motor as Racer described and make sure the engines turn over. Do compression tests to make sure you arent spending money on electronics when the engine(s) are junk.

Now the bad news...the MPEM is ultra hard to find and is in the 15-2000 range if you can find one.

OK here is the result:
1. Lanyard OFF: NO beep
2. Push each start button 5 times: Left start button cause Left side tach needle jump. Right start button doesNOT cause right side tach to jump
3. Lanyard ON: No beep
4. Right start button turns something but sounds like ONLY the solenoid is turning and NOT the flywheel, Left starter button does nothing
5. (Looking toward the back) Jump start the post on the left side and I hear the solenoid motor turning but NOT the flywheel
6. Jump start the post on the right side and I hear a clicking noise and that's all
7. Checked the fuse and it is a good (working) 5 Amp
8. Tried to rotate the engine using a belt and none of the engines turn

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,, some terminology issues..

The solenoid is basically an electronic switch. It does not turn. It only opens and closes. When it closes, it allows power to go to the starter which SHOULD then engage the engine and make it turn over.

It almost sounds like you have a low voltage issue. Just not enough amps to get the starter to truly spin fast enough to engage the engine and then crank the engine.

Have you had the battery load tested? Have you looked at ALL the heavy wire connections for tightness and or corrosion?

I would removing the spark plug and see if you can turn the engine over either with the starter or by hand. Could be that the engines are seized if the boat sunk.

I would removing the spark plug and see if you can turn the engine over either with the starter or by hand. Could be that the engines are seized if the boat sunk.

In post 16 he states he has tried to do so. However, he didn't state if the plugs were remove ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- I followed Stevego (post #10) suggestion and removed the plugs before using the belt.

Well
Have you had the battery load tested? Have you looked at ALL the heavy wire connections for tightness and or corrosion?

- Had the battery Load tested on local auto-part store (Rilley) and it passed. Heavy wires were tight but rusted at the posts inside the Black Boxes. I took both boxes out and cleaned all connections with CLR before attempted the screwdriver jump.

I am somewhat confused here...

Bottom line, with no plugs it should turn over. If not, the pump (impeller) is seized or the engine is.

Before we go much further, I think you need to pull the pump so that we KNOW something. Right now, we really do not have good info as what you have done has not produced results that we can say "Do this and it will fix the issue ect ect..."

Pulling the pump is easy and fast so do that first. At least you will eliminate one more possibility.

Removing the pumps is a fairly simple process. I would download a manual and read section 09 Propulsion System.
Can be found a sea-doo.net

With the plugs out and the pumps removed the engines should be easy to turn over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back