1998 XP Limited Electrical Issue.... Please Help!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaczman29

I had recently purchased a 1998 XP limited and have run into a couple of issues when trying to get it fired up this week. I have used this forum in the past with it being very helpful. After searching and searching for someone that had already had this specific issue, but unfortunately have not gotten anywhere. So here it goes....

The ski will turn over, but when you hold down the start/ stop button, the starter will begin to turn over and then stop as if I was letting off the button. Then kicks back in. I've seen another thread similar to this but there was no resolution for the issue. Some other issues that may be related are them gauges do not move properly (the VTS gauge moves a little) and it does not beep when connecting the key. I had found a 3 prong plug that is connected to the throttle cables near the hinge of hood (black, purple, and white) that is not connected to anything. (Could not find this in the wiring diagrams online)

To get started with what I have already done to give you a better idea of what might actually be the issue let me list them all.

Cleaned cap and terminal for DESS key, charged, switched out battery, switched starter solenoid, checked ground connections in the ignition coil box, checked for correct resistance in the DESS terminal (with and without key), checked fuses in the MPEM and the ignition box, checked all of the connections in the hood to make sure there was no corrosion, checked all connections to the MPEM to make sure there was no corrosion, checked for the 33 second no key timer on the MPEM, tried starting it without the plugs in, and checked for spark at the spark plug boots (its good).

I have done just about everything I can without removing the exhaust and carbs to get to the starter. I have been saving that as a last resort. Any advise would be helpful!

The starting issue is typically bad cables or dirty connections. On the 97+ XP’s it is more common to be the cables because they are so long.
The plug on the throttle cable is the throttle position sensor.

You need to remove the carbs to rebuild them. Also replace the 3/32” oil injection lines when they are off and replace fuel lines if they are grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back