1998 xp 951 Starter/key issues, no beep and starter skips

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dash75966

I just replaced the solenoid in the electrical box, but my starter is still barely working and will turn the engine maybe once before it just shuts down and won’t turn back on again unless I take the key off and put it back on. I also am getting no beeps when I put my key on, but I remember when I originally got the ski it would beep. Is this a key issue or some electrical component that’s gone bad? When I put the key on, the bilge pump turns on but that’s the only thing that’s telling me the key is working, would that be right or do I need to replace something that has to do with the key? Thanks for the help.

No, but it’s a brand new battery and I just charged it on Saturday. So I doubt that’s the problem, but how do you load test it so I can be sure?

Just load tested it, turns out I had one. It says it’s bad, so does this just mean I need to charge the battery more? Or do I need an entire new battery? I just bought this so I don’t want to buy another unless I have too.

Attachments

• 602E005F-1F29-4FAF-9145-F739B5F0CB8A.jpeg
    602E005F-1F29-4FAF-9145-F739B5F0CB8A.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes that’s similar to mine. If your battery was fully charged but then tested bad I’d take the battery back for a return if recently purchased. I buy mine at Oreillys. Super Start battery. It’s a knock off of Deka brand. I e had really good luck with these

Well I just jumped it and it slowly turned over, so the battery is definitely my problem, but the starter also made a weird noise, sometimes it would turn the engine over and other times it just spun the starter freely but didn’t turn the motor, is this normal with the battery or something that’s happening because my starter is on the verge of death?

I have seen a few batteries bad brand new out of the box.
If the starter doesn't have enough power to it the bendix might just spin instead of engaging the flywheel.

Ok, good to know. I tried it today and it worked a lot better. Now I just need to install a fuel primer because it takes so much power from my battery to get the fuel lines to pull fuel all the way through them that it died before. So my problem is mostly solved.

You don't need a primer on these. If it is not pulling fuel you have a problem.

The accelerator pump already acts as a primer. Give the throttle 2-3 pulls, pull the choke and it should fire up almost instantly.

Well I just replaced the fuel lines so it has to pull fuel through about 10 ft of line. So I think I should be getting fuel soon, I also rebuilt the carbs so the pump should be working.

Well I just jumped it and it slowly turned over, so the battery is definitely my problem, but the starter also made a weird noise, sometimes it would turn the engine over and other times it just spun the starter freely but didn’t turn the motor, is this normal with the battery or something that’s happening because my starter is on the verge of death?
Do not jump start these machines with a jump pack or cables.the regulator inside the mpem doesn't like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back