1998 Challenger 1800 twin Rotax, non-stop beeping, not overheating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby78

This is my first post to the forum, but it has already saved me MUCH aggravation. :thumbsup:

The other day in my garage I noticed the plastic wire connector on my port engine temperature sensor was broken off. So, I replaced it like a good owner.

Today I took the boat out and after a very short run at medium throttle, when coming back to idle, the buzzer started beeping and wouldn't stop. Beep, beep, beep, beep... you get the picture. So I look in the owner's manual and I see one beep for this, two beeps for that, etc. The only other thing I see is "continuous," which means engine overheating. Since the beeping wasn't stopping and the temp sensor was fresh in my mind, I thought well that's it! So with my hopes of happy boating dashed I pulled it out and headed back home for some back-flushing. (Actually to Home Depot first for an angled adapter since the lower flush ports are conveniently blocked by the reverse gate and one of my upper ports is broken.)

Back flushing did not root out any cooling system issues so I immediately came to the forums for a search on overheating, or beeping without overheating. Viola! Two posts right off the bat about the same issue where they found it was the low fuel warning and not overheating! Repositioned the boat nose-down in the driveway, restarted and the beep came back immediately. Pushed the fuel warning button, which I could now see was lit up since it was getting darker, and the beeping stopped!

Had the fuel gage been functional maybe I would have thought about that fuel switch that I just looked up the other day to find out what it was!
Hopefully someone has clued SeaDoo in that "Continuous Beeping" is not the same as a Constant Tone and maybe they should mention both in the same part of the manual. :banghead:

Anyway, forum searches here have also helped me with an ignition switch issue, how to properly start my 2-stroke carbureted engine when cold and warm, and various other things like flooring and trim tabs.

So, THANK YOU SeaDooForum!!! :thumbsup:

I never heard the noise for the low fuel. I heard the temp beep before and that is supper loud. If it was over heating you would of never made it back with out cooking that engine. You would of just had to shut that engine down and pull temp sensor wire and limp home. I know I had to do this before on my boat. It sucks but the engine was good after I cleared the sticks in the pump.. Also pop the hood and feel the exhaust or engine to make sure if you think it is the engine temp. You will get use to the how the engines sounds and be able to tell when there is an issue before it gets bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back