1998 GSX Limited - Random Beeping

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I have a new-to-me 1998 Sea Doo GSX Limited that has a newly rebuilt engine. When I put the key on, it does not do the typical "beep beep," however, it does start and run fine. I have been doing new engine break-in procedures this weekend, and the first hour, everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, the ski let out a long beep when idling. It was maybe 3-4 seconds. No error messages on the display. I shut off the engine, waited a couple of minutes. I started it again, and a few seconds later it did the same long beep. I shut it off. There is no error message on the display. The oil is full, the gas tank is 3/4 full. (Gas gauge is not working, but I just filled it up, so I know it's full). Any ideas what causes this beep? I am reading mixed messages online about it being a bad key, bad ignition, or just a simple low fuel warning beep. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the beeper and it was a low fuel warning all along (since fuel gauge is not working at all), but the beeper randomly started working an hour into my ride.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

No one replied to me. But I jumped the fuel gauge and will try it this weekend and see if beep went away. I ordered a new beeper to install so I will have a reliable test.

Ok, so I installed a new beeper, and jumped the fuel gauge. The fuel is now showing up as a full tank, so it's fooling the system to not beep at me for low fuel warning. That appears to have resolved the intermittent beeping. However, the new beeper did not fix the problem of the intermittent beeper either. I put my key on and I do not get the "beep beep" at all. If I listen very very carefully, I can hear two very faint click sounds at the beeper. Any idea what would cause the beeper to be so quiet? What else should I be looking for? It turns over and starts fine when I install the key (a little hard to start, but I'm assuming that's something else). Any ideas?

It isn't OEM so I would question the quality.
You can still buy the OEM ones directly from Floyd Bell. SP-1136

It isn't OEM so I would question the quality.
You can still buy the OEM ones directly from Floyd Bell. SP-1136
Thank you. Dang, I should have asked which one to buy first. It looked identical and I thought a beeper is a beeper.... I'll see if I can get a different one to try from Floyd Bell.

@mikidymac I reached out to Floyd Bell to buy that part, and they told me they require a minimum purchase of 10 for that item. Instead, they pointed me to this one for my 98GSX Limited:

There is a 10pc min on the SP-1136 custom alarm.
PN M-80W is equivalent, and single quantities can be purchased here.
https://www.floydbell.com/parts/M80W
That is great to know!
BTW: I think I bough 10 last time, should be good to go for a few years :cool:

I installed the FloydBell m-80w beeper that was recommended as the equivalent replacement by the FloydBell company. And I’m reporting back that it works great! Actual beeper is red instead of black and slightly smaller. But it comes with an adhesive strip that let me affix it in place perfectly. I added a zip tie as well to be sure it doesn’t come loose. Loud beeps…sounds just as good as the original. (And I didn’t have to order a minimum of 10 of them!

1686580275304.png

Back