1997 vs 1996 mpem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put a 1997 720 mpem in a 1997 787 gtx?
They look almost the same...

Sorry can't change the subject

Last edited by a moderator:
No, completely different motor with different timing, trigger coil, power curve, etc. They all look pretty much the same but are very different for each motor size.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 96 is different. It has the CDI unit separate from the MPEM. Some of the late model year 96's had the new style MPEM like the 97 did. If you have one out of a 96 do a side by side comparison and If they match up it will most likely work. It will be easy to see right away if they are different

You can do it, but you need the entire front electrical box. And maybe the harness from the front box to the motor plugin. I actually did that once. I pulled the harness and box out of my 96 gtx and put it in the 96 gsx (late year 96 that has a 97 mpem). It fired right up and proved my MPEM was bad. Mine had spark, but it would crank and crank and crank then fire with a HUGE backfire. But then sometimes it would start and run for a few seconds and die. As an FYI, minnetonka4me usually has them. But they are kind of pricy. But he will take it back if it does not fix your problem, with a restocking fee. No one else will do that.

What about the sox 1997 box? They look identical?
e5d3db1541a14299d2d9d1a3dfd7dfb6.jpg

And the gtx 1997
9ebfe49c468d7f3c1f1ce14c0b089ddc.jpg

Just one wire is different... grey and brown

It will likely get your motor running, but some things may not work, like some gauges or something. You should find the manuals for each online, then look at the wiring diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back