1997 Speedster both engines won't crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

DTH357

Ok, I have quite the dilemma. My speedster will start an engine first thing in the morning, it runs fine, until you turn it off. Then neither engine will start including the one that was just running. I have rebuilt the carbs, new plugs, fresh gas. I have spark on all plugs, and have tried pouring a small amount of gas in the carb and in the spark plug holes, still will not crank. I've checked all the fuses, and ran a new ground cable just encase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you have spark and you put good fuel(mixed) into the spark plug holes it should run for a second or two....unless the timing it out.

then what remains is fuel and spark which you said was good. Or your timing is out. like you said, both engines having the same symptoms is unlikely. I would focus on your fuel first.....maybe you flooded it when giving it a taste of fuel in the spark plug holes? trying taking out the plugs and turning over the starter to clear out everything in the cylinders, change the plugs if there is a potential that they are bad. Give a shot of starter fluid instead of fuel if you want to see if it fires. there are a number of people that do not like this because starter fluid will not lubricate the engine. I would fog the engine and give a shot of starter fluid just to see if a jetski i am looking to buy will fire.

you said in your first post that the engines ran then would not start again. i am thinking it is fuel delivery and your carbs need to be looked at.

When I had the carbs rebuilt, the kit didn't include a needle and seat. So I ordered two of them today, and hope that may be the problem. I wonder if too much gas would not let an engine crank?

"no crank" means starter does not turn. i think you mean it does not fire. correct, too much fuel it will not fire, but you said that you used starter fluid and it did not fire. like i said in previous post, take the plugs out, crank the starter for a bit to clear out oil, fuel in the cylinders, clean off the plugs if they are wet, put in a little starter fluid and try cranking again.

Open your gas cap when it won't start to see if you get a woosh of air escaping from the gas tank which would indicate the pressure release valve for the gas tank is blocked. As the boat sits in the sun the gas expands and builds pressure, if the pressure relief valve is not working and your needle and seats are leaking it could be forcing gas past the needle and seats flooding the cylinders. Even with no woosh, leaking needle and seats will flood the engine. Pull the plugs, dry them off and crank the engine for a few seconds to clear the cylinders, replace the plugs and see if she will fire up, if so it's likely one or both of the two above issues

I've checked the gas cap and no whoosh. But I have noticed that after I've been trying to fire up the engines, and pull the spark plugs they are not wet.

I don't think so because the tank was empty or very close to it, before I put new fresh gas an sea foam in it. I'm waiting on the new needle and seat, hoping that will fix the problem.

You also said that you tried starter fluid and fuel right into the cylinders and you could not get the engine to cough. And the spark plugs are dry after cranking? Something is not right. A new needle and seat will only correct a flooded situation and if the plugs are dry that is not it. You sure the compression it good?

yes I checked the compression and all the cylinders read the same. I can see gas coming out the cylinders when the spark plugs are removed, it's like a vapor spray.

The rectifier on the starboard side has an open barrel end that is not hooked to anything, is that how it's supposed to be?

I ordered new Mikuni crab rebuild kits yesterday, because when I took the carbs off to change the needle and seat fuel was coming out of the carb where the pulse line goes. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one thinking it was the same as Mikuni. Let you know what happens when the kit is installed.

I just remembered when I would get the engines running very black water I guess maybe some oil is blowing out with the exhaust. Enough that it will stain the ground. I don’t know if this means anything or not. I just happen to remember it.

Last edited:
I think I have finally got it fixed. I had installed a cheap carb kit, and it was flooding the engine. New Mikuni carb kit and the engines run perfect.

Back