1997 seadoo gtx low thrust but will rev fine?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

luke0111

Evening all, I'm after some advice on diagnosing? The issue I have is lack of drive/thrust the ski was running fine no issues then like a switch just revs but very low thrust forward? I've had the jet drive off and the wear ring is a little out on the outer gap than spec should be and after reading this could be the problem but I wanted to know if there was anything else in the drive line that could slip like the pto is it fixed or does it have a cush or clutch drive inside? Engine is the white 787 and has this pto on the back of it

Screenshot_20230603-201159_eBay.jpg

Any info greatly appreciated!

Evening all, I'm after some advice on diagnosing? The issue I have is lack of drive/thrust the ski was running fine no issues then like a switch just revs but very low thrust forward? I've had the jet drive off and the wear ring is a little out on the outer gap than spec should be and after reading this could be the problem but I wanted to know if there was anything else in the drive line that could slip like the pto is it fixed or does it have a cush or clutch drive inside? Engine is the white 787 and has this pto on the back of it

View attachment 62455

Any info greatly appreciated!
No internal clutch. If it feels like a clutch slipping at take off it’s your wear ring or impeller in bad shape.

No internal clutch. If it feels like a clutch slipping at take off it’s your wear ring or impeller in bad shape.
Thanks for that I'll get on to my local shop get some parts priced up I did think might be that but wanted to double check before I committed to ordering some parts

Just to be sure, did you make sure the intake grate is not blocked? If it happend fast you might have sucked up something.
Definitely was clear on the day it happened and on the next time I took it out both grate and jet drive clear I did think that but not the case only thing I can see as a problem is the tolerance between the wear ring and impeller I think factory should be .004 and I've got between .015 to .020

Same thing happened to my wife's GTI, the wear ring was pretty shot...but not THAT much, or so I thought. But when I fixed that, she had full power/thrust again. It really surprised me how much the difference was.

Back