1997 seadoo GSX limited rpm?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

D3v

Hi.

New to the forums. I have a 1997 seadoo GSX. Basically rpm is limited to 6700 and i get no more. around 5000 rpm, machine loses power, slowing down slightly. and at idle to flat out, machine is sluggish not going past 5000 rpm unless you hit the throttle twice. Ive cleaned the carbs and changed the spark plugs but problem still persists. What could else be the issue?
Note: machine only has 60 hours on it.

thanks for the help.

Grey Fuel Lines

Do you still have grey fuel lines?

The original grey (Tempo) fuel lines were made of two materials laminated together with an adhesive. After time 2-3years the adhesive breaks down and makes a green goo that goes everywhere in the fuel delivery system. The end result is the engine runs too lean because it is starving for gas.

The cure is to replace the grey fuel lines with 1/4" black automotive hose. You will need 20-25' depending on if you replace the vent hose, and about 20 stainless steel clamps. Just replace 1 hose at a time following the original route.

You will also need to clean or replace the main fuel filter and 2 carb. filters, 1 in each carb. Also you will need to clean or replace (I strongly recommend replacing), the fuel selector valve.

Here is a link to a how to guide on this forum for more information:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=5563

Lou

1999 GTX with low RPMs

I have a '99 GTX with similar problem. My seadoo will only get up to 5300-5400rpms and no more. I changed out all the old fuel lines, new plugs, and cleaned the RAVE valves. Not sure what the problem is but looked at the online manual today which said that the black hoses connected to the RAVE solenoid are very important and that a disconnected hose would cause low engine rpms. I guess the RAVE valves are not working on mine because the hose coming from the crank is missing. I can't find it or where it suppose to go. Can anyone tell where on the crank do this hose connect. It's the one with the check valve in the line.

No it's a black hose (1/8) I think. You can see the RAVE solenoid straight out from the valves attached to the side of the boat(that's where it's at on mine anyway). Then it leaves the solenoid and splits going to each RAVE valve. Another hose leaves and goes to the back for vent or whats called atmospheric pressure. The hose coming into the solenoid with the check valve in it is crank pressure. This is what opens the variable exhaust valves. I hope someonr can point me in the right direction as to where to find the oulet nipple from the engine(crank).

On my ski it's on the crank case down at the bottom under the carbs. towards the back of the motor.

I saw a picture posted somewhere and I have been looking for it again but can't find it. If I do I will post it on here.

Will the engine rpms be up where they suppose to be if that black hose is not connected? If there's no pressure the variable exhaust valves will not open right? So rpms will be way done. My 'Doo feels like it's sputtering when I open it up. Could these valves be the problem?

Will the engine rpms be up where they suppose to be if that black hose is not connected? If there's no pressure the variable exhaust valves will not open right? So rpms will be way done. My 'Doo feels like it's sputtering when I open it up. Could these valves be the problem?

would not hurt to clean the RAVE valves, they tend to cause problems at higher RPMs

Sounds like in could be the raves, especially if you have hoses that are not connected properly to them. Sorry mine do not have hoses going to them so I am not sure abou that. I thought only the 951s had that. Perhaps someone could shed light on that for ya.

I can tell you that my xp only hit probably 5500 rpm or so when my raves were clogged up. And also he guy before me installed one backwards, by correcting all that it made a huge improvement on top end.

same problem did it get fixed

I have this same issue. can you just unbolt the rave valves and pull them out or will something fall out of place, also do they require gaskets

You can unbolt them, just be careful not to let the spring fling out when you take the plastic caps off. You have to take the plastic caps off first. They have gaskets between the rave and the cylinder.

Just take a look at it to make sure its not really worn out or torn, when I cleaned the raves on my xp, I reused the gaskets and they seem to be fine.

Brake cleaner works better. I use a wire brush, scotchbrite, and Brake cleaner. Then I take it to the shop and polish the crap out of it. I use a unitized polish wheel on a straight grinder.

:agree: What he said, brake cleaner works well. Or if you have the means, a solvent tank would be ideal to clean the slides. Polishing would not hurt one bit either im sure. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back