1997 Sea- Doo GTS Not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryantg89

Hey friends of Sea-Doo,
I've been relying heavily on other's posts for the last two weeks and now need help of my own!

Long-story: Bought a 1997 GTS two weeks ago. It was sitting outside for a year prior to purchase, so I added some iso-heet to the tank and filled it up (probably 2 gallons standing at the time- I know, I know) Started right up, no issues, but was bogging down after about 20 seconds. All signs (and blog posts) pointed to fuel system. Turns out the previous owner bypassed the fuel filter/fuel-oil separator. Anyways, replaced the lines (not sure how old they were, but they were not the original black). Replaced the gas filter/o-ring and hooked it back up after taking out crappy standard fuel filter, fuel selector switch, new spark plugs, pulled the gas tank and cleaned it out nice (~3/4 crud at the bottom of the tank), rebuilt the carb (but it was pretty clean anyways, just a little in the carb fuel filter). So, got everything in and felt pretty good about myself. Filled it up and headed out to the lake.

Then it wouldn't start. As in, it wouldn't even turn over. There is a soft clicking noise. Not the battery (brand-new and retested again charging & with jumper pack). All the lines are in place. I can't get fuel in the lines cause it wont turn over. But starter fluid did nothing, nor did pre-mix down the spark plug holes. I tapped the started thinking that was the problem. Even pulled out the gray electrical box, opened it up and that looked brand new inside.

So Im getting mentally exhausted with this project and need some advice on where to go from here.

Any help? Thx!

Well first you should not get rid of the stock fuel strainer or add an aftermarket one. Never use fuel additives or starting fluid.

Second, never use a jump pack because you can fry the MPEM computer.

3rd, did you use genuine Mikuni parts to rebuild the carb?

Finally, pull the plugs and the rear plastic driveshaft cover and see if you can turn the engine over by hand.

1- sorry i meant to say i threw away the non-sea-doo filter and now have the correct sea-doo filter
2- it was one of the small compact ones, but yes point well taken
3- yes

update: thinking solenoid was out, i messed around with it. I am pretty sure the battery is out. Its on a trickle charge right now, so we'll see (it was brand new last week). I hooked up cables to my car battery (car was off) and it turned over :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the response! I knew it had to be something simple at this point.

Ok ok, I like to start at the beginning..always start with the free and simple stuff first......DON'T start throwing parts at anything.
These older (and newer) skis are NOTHING without a good battery...first and foremost. Then.....all electric connections needs to be clean. bright and tight (and in the right place).
You must have the right DESS key if it'll turn over......SO, I assume the ski comes to life if you press the Start button (no key installed)? The guages should respond. Does the ski double beep when you install the key? Yes = good, No= dead buzzer....you really should fix that if necessary.

OK, did you check the cylinder compression? DO NOT use a Harbor Freight guage...go borrow one from AutoZone.....should be near 150 psi in each cylinder (or close) and they should be the same or only a couple psi off from each other.

On the trailer.....IF you can get her started again (only use a little pre-mix down the spark holes or directly into the carb)...does it idle? - should idle about 3K out of water...don't let her run without water on the hose for too long through (hose water does NOT cool the drive shaft components so no sense burning up seals/bearings)...you are only doing test runs for very short periods of time (a minute or two should give you enough info to move on).

If you are still having trouble getting her started.....probably the carb...they are finicky. You can bypass the fuel system by feeding fuel directly into the carb from a bottle hung above the ski....get as creative as you have to (think like an IV drip). If it won't start like this....go into the carb again.....there is a CARB rebuild sticky post at the top of the FORUM....follow it like gospel ALL the way through...NO SHORTCUTS, pressure testing is mandatory. Rigging up a test pump assembly is worth the trouble.

Report back any progress or info and we can go on from there. Good Luck.

So switched out batteries this am. It took a little effort to get it running but now starts on every turn. Lots of smoke. Then i noticed it shot out tons of nasty oily junk out the back (wife is thrilled). I assume that's just back up from trying to start it so much over the last day playing with it (since replacing all the fuel lines?).
Very little is coming out now after the initial back-log, but wanted to check with yall before I take it on the water and it blows up on me :)
(yes, only ran for 10 sec max)
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 9.38.59 AM.png

And to respond to other comments:
1- couldn't believe the battery drained after 1 week and wouldn't charge- lesson learned
2- the only thing i threw away was the wrong $3.99 fuel filter that someone else placed on it.

thx again guys!

Could be leaking crank seals or leaking needle and seat flooding it. Usually when it is really runny and black it is fuel flooded from leaking needle ans seats.

yep, so it starts just fine now, but is leaking out black junk slowly. I'll try to find some posts about that. Geeze, this has been one thing after another!

yep, so it starts just fine now, but is leaking out black junk slowly. I'll try to find some posts about that. Geeze, this has been one thing after another!
The older skis are always something.....they are testaments to PATIENCE. They will KEEP YOU HUMBLE. :rolleyes::)

Run it on the hose for a brief moment to check for leaks, then take it to the lake and run the crap out of it. I've seen people report this with skis that sat for awhile, it's probably from stagnant water in exhaust when it was put away.

Update: pretty sure i just flooded the engine with oil pushing in the throttle so many times trying to get it started. thanks for all the other advice, glad it wasn't any of those things. I read another post that the gas pump cable is connected with the throttle cable. Makes perfect sense.
Took it out yesterday and it ran beautifully. Great ending to a long mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back