1997 GTI Power Surging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leslie

New to Seadoo Forum. I need some help- My ski runs really good on the trailer but once I put it in the water it runs wide open for 2-5 minutes full throttle then slows down to about 5 MPH, for another minute or less then back to full power then back to 5 MPH! Had the carb rebuilt at the dealer. Change the fuel lines to clear, pressurized tank, fuel is getting to the carb. Had the fuel selector valve checked, it works. Changed the fuel filter and o ring on the fuel water separator. I don't not have raves-single carb-( Fuel Gauge does not work) Could it be the fuel sending unit, rectifier, pressure valve? I don't know but I'm a girl! I don't want to dump a bunch of money in this ski but I do love it and its super clean! HELP!!P

Welcome to the Forum.
What engine is in your Ski ???
When you had had it at the Stealership to rebuild the Crabs was it to correct this issue ???

Engine is 720. Yes i had to carb rebuild to see if it would correct what i thought was a fuel strave issue. Having the carb rebuild did not correct the issue. Im stump!

You either have something still stopped up in the Fuel system or the rectifier is bad.

1. Try running it on Reserve and see what happens

2. try unplugging the rectifier and see what happens.

Let us know

I did go to reserve while the speed was surging and nothing. we did check the fuel selector valve and its good. Could the rectifier cause intermitent speed (Surging Power)? How do I check the recifier to see if its working correctly? I do have an ohm meter.
Thank you for your help!

I am not sure what the OHMs should be.

I just always unplug it while riding and if the issue goes away then I replace it and it always fixes it.

The recitifier could be your issue.

I will hopefully get to try that soon. I live a couple blocks from the lake but this is going to be a very busy 3 day lake weekend. Thank you so much for your help, I will let you know what happens! I really appreciate it!!
Leslie

Yeah would be great if he responds. Id like to see if there was a way to test the recifier w/ a ohm meter.

Post the problem in the 2 stroke forum. Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Sucking air somewhere, or running away from fuel supply.

Welcome to forum.
There are tests for the rectifier but the ultimate test of one is to unplug the red wire feeding it. That will isolate it from electrical system. If the ski runs great with it unplugged then that is your culprit. It's worth 10 mins of time to get access to it and unplug for diagnosis sake and rule it out or confirm it as issue. It solved the largest problem on my 96 xp. It is in front electrical box and has 3 yellow wires and one red. Unplug red and ride for a short but. Tell us what happens after that then we can suggest other tests/repairs to see what ultimately fixes it.

Just a note my rectifier passed the tests, it was charging within the acceptable range and wasn't corroded etc. so I spent days chasing the problem assuming carb issues ( not saying yours isn't carb related ) only to realize it was that rectifier crapped out causing ski to bog.
Rob

Going to the lake Monday to check the rectifier

Welcome to forum.
There are tests for the rectifier but the ultimate test of one is to unplug the red wire feeding it. That will isolate it from electrical system. If the ski runs great with it unplugged then that is your culprit. It's worth 10 mins of time to get access to it and unplug for diagnosis sake and rule it out or confirm it as issue. It solved the largest problem on my 96 xp. It is in front electrical box and has 3 yellow wires and one red. Unplug red and ride for a short but. Tell us what happens after that then we can suggest other tests/repairs to see what ultimately fixes it.

Just a note my rectifier passed the tests, it was charging within the acceptable range and wasn't corroded etc. so I spent days chasing the problem assuming carb issues ( not saying yours isn't carb related ) only to realize it was that rectifier crapped out causing ski to bog.
Rob
Going to the lake on Monday to check the rectifier, carb is getting fuel for sure. I'll let you know. Thank you!!

What happened ???
Update Please

Didn't get a chance to get on the lake yesterday because the lake was full and they weren't allowing anymore skis on. I'm going to try to get out there again this week. Thanks for the follow up. I'll let you know.

New rectifier

Didn't get a chance to get on the lake yesterday because the lake was full and they weren't allowing anymore skis on. I'm going to try to get out there again this week. Thanks for the follow up. I'll let you know.

Went to the lake this morning with new rectifier installed. Same problem!! Runs good until you let off the gas, acts fuel starved. Ok so carb is rebuilt, clear fuel lines, carb is getting fuel, fuel selector valve cleaned and working, new fuel separator filter and o- ring. Next will be new fuel pick up sending unit. It's going to be awhile my husband is sick of working on it.

It will not Idle after coming off plane or what? Low speed and high speed screws at factory settings? You maybe sucking air somewhere in the system. Pressure test the whole system? Do a section at a time. If you cleaned the selector with carb cleaner you may of killed O ring sealing it. All the work was done because of the surgeing or this started afterward? Do all the tests of pop off, pump diaphram and check valves? Pulse line new? Check it out. Make sure all line clamps are tight. Fuel filter installed in the right direction? Vent and pressure relief valves on fuel system working? Check static voltage ( battery not running) should be 12.6V, running should be 13.5 to 14.5 to be charging. Accelerator pump working?

Same issue-acts fuel staved only when I let off the throttle. it hesitates, goes slow then speeds up gain. thinking it could be the fuel sending unit.

Should I do that on the trailer or in the water? Just asking, Every time I take it to the lake it cost me $24.00 -I'm on my own on this.

Man that's a tough one. None of my customers have ever had this problem that wasn't the rectifier. Doesn't seem like a fuel issue seeing as it runs fine after slowing down. What are your plugs looking like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back