1997 GSX Won't Start in Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have that on the Mag Carb, 0 turns. But the PTO one I had at 1/2 turns out like the stock settings listed and started turning it out from there. Still running like this unfortunately and loss on what to do next.

@JJinSC

Also just in case, you guys were wondering, the pop-off psi was really good actually both hit about 35 psi.

So I don't know what's going on. I feel like the PTO carb should not even be poping with the high-speed screw 1 turn out if anything it would bog wouldn't it?

WEIRD...

Thank you for the help in advance.

Unless it's doing that because it is out of the water because it doesn't have any water resistance? May be running at too high of RPMs when I am doing that?

In which case I need to adjust them back to the first video that I posted because that seems to be the best I could tune it today anyway.

I got home and checked out your videos. You were definitely hitting the rev limiter and there was no load. I have never reved mine that high out of water. I say put settings back to stock and test it in the water.

Good point on in-water testing, I hadn't read the whole thread or watched the video. It would be best to start at factory recommended settings and then go from there in-water.

Okay, guys update,

IT WORKS!!!!!! Got the carbs tuned-up no backfire or anything!

Working like a dream! Thank you guys for all your help couldn't have made it through this journey without you guys!

I hit 65 mph today as peak too!

The last thing I have to do is fuel selector valve just for reassurance.

I also installed a bilge pump on it too.

I would think not as that would put your starter in reverse and can cause some serious damage to the starter I would think because you are flipping the polarity of the positive and negative.

Plus the negative has to go on the underside in order for you to ground the whole system.

@dontilgon

Okay, guys update,

IT WORKS!!!!!! Got the carbs tuned-up no backfire or anything!

Working like a dream! Thank you guys for all your help couldn't have made it through this journey without you guys!

I hit 65 mph today as peak too!
OK, fantastic news.....not get your keester over to my place and do it to my ski !!!!! I'm still futzing with my carbs....but don't have the free time to give her the love she needs though.....oh well, maybe I'll get her fine tuned in time to put her up for the winter ....:confused:

@Ckrawiec

Have you rebuilt the carbs with a true OEM kit? If not that's the first step in the process.

After that, I followed @mikidymac rebuild carb thread to a tee.

Then I put the carbs to stock setting took it out to the water, and did 1/4 turn increments until I could tell the ski was starting to get on top of the wake, then I did 1/8 turn increments until I got it up and going.

It does take time maybe you can find a weekend in there to do it somehow.

@Ckrawiec

Have you rebuilt the carbs with a true OEM kit? If not that's the first step in the process.

After that, I followed @mikidymac rebuild carb thread to a tee.

Then I put the carbs to stock setting took it out to the water, and did 1/4 turn increments until I could tell the ski was starting to get on top of the wake, then I did 1/8 turn increments until I got it up and going.

It does take time maybe you can find a weekend in there to do it somehow.

Yep, been down that road...thought I had her all sorted out.....she ran great for awhile but I NOW either still have a quirk in the carbs (did I eff it up somehow/someway????) OR it's something else (I'm still not 100% convinced that I've fixed my 12V low issue - been through 3 rectifiers already)....I WON'Tgive up on her though.....of my 3 skis, I like the '96 the best (she's an oldie but a goodie). The fight will continue!!!:):thumbs-up:

Yep, been down that road...thought I had her all sorted out.....she ran great for awhile but I NOW either still have a quirk in the carbs (did I eff it up somehow/someway????) OR it's something else (I'm still not 100% convinced that I've fixed my 12V low issue - been through 3 rectifiers already)....I WON'Tgive up on her though.....of my 3 skis, I like the '96 the best (she's an oldie but a goodie). The fight will continue!!!:):thumbs-up:
@Ckrawiec so does the ski start right up every time or does it take a few seconds then crank over? Also did you do the pop off pressure test on your carbs? If so what was your pop off test? Which ski are you fixing?

@Ckrawiec so does the ski start right up every time or does it take a few seconds then crank over? Also did you do the pop off pressure test on your carbs? If so what was your pop off test? Which ski are you fixing?

THE 1996 GTX is the ski in question.....it was running great, but then adult son took it for a hard run (was running great, better than ever, after the initial carb rebuild (Mikuni parts, full clean), etc......), wife was following on her 2018 GTS (she couldn't keep up with the '96 (haha or she was too scared to)), but she said the '96 burped some black smoke ONCE and the ski shutdown. It started right back up and my son drove it home AT SPEED with no other issues or hesitation and shut it down at our dock. After a day or so of non-use, it was back to hard startup (low battery, etc)....so she is currently OUT of the water on a cradle waiting for me to go back in....I had the battery fully charged in the meantime and load tested it and the ski cranks strong, but just won't catch to start....I haven't had the time lately to attend to her.....building a 500 SF deck is taking work precedence over a 3rd ski on the water (plus I'm out of dock space with a new pontoon).

I'll probably just buy 2 new mikuni kits and re-do the "carb rebuild thread" - fresh start over (when I have the time, hopefully in the next couple weeks...sigh).

THE 1996 GTX is the ski in question.....it was running great, but then adult son took it for a hard run (was running great, better than ever, after the initial carb rebuild (Mikuni parts, full clean), etc......), wife was following on her 2018 GTS (she couldn't keep up with the '96 (haha or she was too scared to)), but she said the '96 burped some black smoke ONCE and the ski shutdown. It started right back up and my son drove it home AT SPEED with no other issues or hesitation and shut it down at our dock. After a day or so of non-use, it was back to hard startup (low battery, etc)....so she is currently OUT of the water on a cradle waiting for me to go back in....I had the battery fully charged in the meantime and load tested it and the ski cranks strong, but just won't catch to start....I haven't had the time lately to attend to her.....building a 500 SF deck is taking work precedence over a 3rd ski on the water (plus I'm out of dock space with a new pontoon).

I'll probably just buy 2 new mikuni kits and re-do the "carb rebuild thread" - fresh start over (when I have the time, hopefully in the next couple weeks...sigh).

@Ckrawiec The carb redo sounds like a good idea to do. But if your ski is not catching to start, that also sounds like your starter motor is getting weak or the gear is worn down? Is it the stock starter motor? Also double check your starter system electrical wise, you may think you are getting a strong crank but your starter relay or ignition coil may not be doing what they are supposed. Also if you have blown 3 rectifiers, that hints to me that you really need to check the battery and the starter system electrical wise.

@Ckrawiec The carb redo sounds like a good idea to do. But if your ski is not catching to start, that also sounds like your starter motor is getting weak or the gear is worn down? Is it the stock starter motor? Also double check your starter system electrical wise, you may think you are getting a strong crank but your starter relay or ignition coil may not be doing what they are supposed. Also if you have blown 3 rectifiers, that hints to me that you really need to check the battery and the starter system electrical wise.

Also check all the wires on that’s system one bad wire with cuts in it or kinks can take you down too. That is why I redid my whole starter system, cables looked bad and all the parts looked like the original parts from 1997. Replaced all of that and working great fires right up every time.

Also check all the wires on that’s system one bad wire with cuts in it or kinks can take you down too. That is why I redid my whole starter system, cables looked bad and all the parts looked like the original parts from 1997. Replaced all of that and working great fires right up every time.
Already done......this ski sank a while back so everything electrical has either been replaced (all new components, wiring, cables, connections cleaned, deox'ed, continuity checked) and verified good.....the starter cranks strong with plugs in or out, battery has been load tested and checked......I don't think the carbs are perfect yet.....and the rectifier situation still needs some attention.....I'll get her sorted out eventually.

I wouldn't say the previous rectifiers have "blown".....I would say more likely that they haven't worked properly out of the box yet (the original stock one was replaced simply because the ski sank, the 2nd one was not inspiring confidence that it was putting out good voltage (but I've learned so much more since that time - that maybe it was good and I didn't know any better back then).....the current one in the ski now is SUSPECT (voltage at the battery - when it WAS running was bouncing all over the place...not a good sign).

I'll get her sorted out soon enough!

Sounds like your rectifier is going bonkers lol. Also seems like you have a good handle on it.

Your rectifier could also be causing the 12-volt issue like you are saying and seems like its the only thing in the circuit that you can find that is going crazy.

Gotta have patience with the carbs I took my time, took me 5 hours to rebuild because I was triple checking myself every step of the way. The rebuild forum is very good and makes sure you don't miss the minor details.

@Ckrawiec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back