1997 GSX Won't Start in Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only suggest sticking with OEM electronic parts on these. The aftermarket stuff is so hit or miss.

On the OEM caps there’s nothing to strip on the wires. Just cut 1/4” off and leave them blank. The caps have a screw inside that actually threads into the rubber insulation to contact the metal wire inside.

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue before please watch the videos follow the links below. Please help me if you have figured out what causes this issue!

Links:

Some background information: The jet ski will start fine on the trailer and will idle, occasionally sometimes it will die on its own while on the trailer. While out on the lake it gets its random spirts, it will start fine but when you try to get it to full throttle it will either bog down or die, then it won't start at all sometimes or it does.

The guy before me, rebuilt the carbs, I went through them and they seem fine. He also put in a new start/stop switch which also seems to be fine. I have put in new fuel lines to replace the grey crappy ones. I have put in a new DESS post and got 2 new keys programmed to the new DESS post. I have replaced the gauges with new-used gauges. I have redone the seat and put in a new head cushion.

Your trailer symptoms to me seem carburation (partially plugged micro filter), or fuel delivery( fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel selector more so, or fuel pick up filter.) .

I had to clean up the connections at the MPM and the wiring harness plug in point and re di electrical grease them, several times so far, just with electrical connecting cleaner and a toothbrush, it was corroded in there on several points and causing all kind of electrical glitches. There is 3 of them. Sometimes on the 787 when they run on the trailer but wont run or good in the water, is also caused by a vacuum leak somewhere on the intake side, like the seal around the intake valve... Just saying.

Checked two 1997’s yesterday and they don’t have the additional little battery ground wires that some skis have. Only the one big ground to the negative battery terminal.

Okay, guys here an update,

I have replaced a lot of things today, I replaced the starter solenoid, the ignition coil, the starter, the MPEM/rectifier, all the wiring on the starter system and put in the trim fix module which is awesome by the way works like a champ! Also on saturday, I replaced the fuel pump which was a pain in the rear seeing how the only way getting it out was to take out the whole steering system!!!:((((((((((((((( But I got it done. All the sensors are working properly and everything seems to be smooth thus far we will see tomorrow. Also, I applied dielectric grease to everything (I still have to do the battery posts but was running out of daylight, needed to get the other stuff done).

So it started right up like as soon as I hit the switch the jet ski is fired up and idling. It doesn't struggle to start as it used out of the water. So a very good sign!

I added the ground anyways because in the manual it has it and coming from my background it would make since the ignition coil needs a true ground(not really true but true in this system). See the picture below, might want to let your buddies know.

I am going to try it out tomorrow on the lake. I will update tomorrow if I can make it to the lake.

1563852976957.png

Oh and forgot to mention I replaced the fuel filter/o-ring as well. I have ordered 2 selector valves and both were wrong I don't know why they say they fit 1997 gsx's when the turn valve is in the wrong direction very saddening. But the old one still works so I am not going to bother with it since I cleaned it when I pulled it out the first time.

Yeah and I was clearly wrong about the connectors on the spark plug wires, I have never seen spark plug wires like that. But very easy to do! So I am going to return the connectors.

Also thank you all for your help, sorry I haven't been replying as fast but I was getting the job done out on the ski.

Also thank you all for your help, sorry I haven't been replying as fast but I was getting the job done out on the ski.
More wrenching...less typing...we all understand. But it is nice to give an issue some CLOSURE....a post mortem is always nice to see that an issue has been fixed and how it was fixed and/or addressed. I hate it when posts just go dead with no closure...you always wonder -> what the hell happened? (that's just me)

I would not trust that old fuel selector.
This is the one you should be ordering..
Fuel Valve
MSRP: $32.99
Dealer Price: $28.04

Correct and that is the one I have been ordering. But I do not know what's going on with that but a guy did say he had to rotate his pin 45 degrees to get it to line up with the stickers. I might have to try that.

I just did the 2 1997 GSX's last year with that part number and they installed perfectly so I am not sure what is going on.

I order from Pro Caliber but you can use the Orange "Shop Discount Seadoo Parts" at the top of this screen also.

Here's an update,

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it out on the lake today and tried many things to replicate the issue it wasn't having it. The only issue I am having now is tuning the carbs because it is bogging down a lot, for instance when I hit full throttle it will go(like trying to get on top of the wake), then bog, then die. But I didn't get stuck in the lake today so that's a step!

I did have a user error that I resolved quickly which was if I really didn't push the key hard enough onto the DESS post then my info gauge would pop up like it was primed(flickering on/off most of the time). Then when I went to hit the start/stop button the starter system wasn't getting a signal causing the starter system not to work couldn't even hear the solenoid click. So I blame it on me because it didn't have a good connection.

Does anybody know of a good way to tune the carbs out of the water?
Can it work like this or no?
1/4 throttle = ????? rpms
1/2 throttle = ????? rpms
3/4 throttle = ????? rpms
full throttle = ????? rpms

I just don't know the numbers.

Also yeah I will use those sites thank you @mikidymac

Thank you guys for your help!

I chased something like you have on my XP a few weeks ago. This is the thread 1996 XP Battery Voltage Drop

I had a spare electric box and changed the whole thing but the problem was the coil. Yes... the coil. Read my dilemma and the process. Strange strange, strange. :) I do love a good quest as long as I win in the end. LOL

If it’s a fuel issue there’s no “tuning “ if it doesn’t run on stock settings you have something wrong, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back