1997 GSX Won't Start in Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Here's an update I pulled the starter out and sadly could not get it tested I might be able to get it tested tomorrow. But I did notice I do not have a little ground wire coming from the starter box to the battery, am I supposed to have that wire on a gsx?

Thanks!

Also, check out these pictures the resistance seems fine in the coil. But the ground on the ignition coil seems toast could this be a starting problem?

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Judging by all the rust....it’s sandpaper time.....you really need to get to clean, bright and tight connections. Trust nothing, assume nothing. You should have a smaller gauge black wire from battery black to bottom of ignition coil (ground).

Well let me ask you this if you don't mind, I think these starter parts are all the stock, like OG parts from the factory do you think it would be a bad idea to replace this starter system? Like the starter solenoid, the ignition coil, wiring, and starter motor? I don't mind spending the bucks and getting the good stuff I want this jet ski to be reliable out on the water not semi-reliable you know.
@Ckrawiec

Just based on looking at these parts that is.
I changed out all of those parts you mentioned on my 96 gtx. If cost is not a big deterrent do it, not really all that expensive either. I also did plugs, spark wires, boots, gas gauge, rectifier/regulator.....but I did it only because my ski went scuba diving without me.

Yeah, I hear you, I have redone the gauges, the seat, all the fuel lines, the switches up at the top, etc. I'm already in this thing kind deep and what a few extra bucks. I think I can re-connectorize the overtemp wire if not I'll replace that too. Do you think I can re-connectorize the wire or get a new one?

Also here are the pictures of the starter motor totally looks OG to me. Has the white paint and everything to match the motor I am surprised it has lasted this long honestly! 22 years...

Also pictures of the overtemp wire again.

@Ckrawiec

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Also, I think my regulator is tied into the MPEM but the part isn't that expensive might as well do an overhaul. That's what I read in the manual anyways.

Also, I think my regulator is tied into the MPEM but the part isn't that expensive might as well do an overhaul. That's what I read in the manual anyways.
Best practice is to keep and or replace with OEM if at all possible. The OEM starter can be rebuilt pretty inexpensively with a new brush kit (since you already have it out. I’ve fixed pulled wires out of connectors worse that that....certainly doable with patience and moxy!

Yep exactly only replacing with OEM anything and everything I do. I have had a 2 stroke dirtbike before but new to jet ski's so not all that familiar with them yet.

Okay then I will do that, I'll let you guys know how it goes it will probably be a week or so. Have to order parts. Then get them in.

You can get really clean, tested and guaranteed parts from Nick and Jess at Westside Powersports.

I’ll be with 2 1997 GSX’s on Saturday if you want me to see if they have the little ground wire on the rear box.

Heck yeah, man any information helps at this point!

Guys, seriously I really do appreciate all that you guys are doing for me the process is going much faster!

Really appreciate it again!

Thank you!

I’ll try to get you a text tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Reception is pretty spotty at the lake. Finally getting some ski time.

You need to make sure they are Non-Resistor plug caps since the BR8ES plugs already have resistors. You don’t want to double it up.

If you mean the spark plug itself I like to use specifically the NGK 3691 as it is a BR8ES but with a solid top connector instead of the screw on aluminum one that comes loose on the standard BR8ES.

Yeah, I'm getting the NGK ones. I'm actually talking about the terminal itself, the metal end that you crimp on the wire.

I'll be redoing the wires for the spark plugs just making sure there is no special terminal I need before I order my parts.

Don’t use the crimp on ones. You want the thread on like OEM and NGK caps and they have to be resistor caps. Not auto parts ones.

Also no reason to do new wires. Unscrew and pull off the old caps, cut 1/4” off the old wire then push on and screw the caps back on.

Wait so you just strip the wire back put it in the boot and then put it on the spark plug? No crimps or anything? Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back