1996 Seadoo XP New Guy Problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyRider19

Okay I've been having this problem since August of last year and I don't know what to do any longer. My 1996 Seadoo XP idles great but boggs when given over half throttle. The hull just makes a terrible noise and refuses to go any faster. However when you play with the throttle for about 5 min it is fine and all ready to go. It just seems to be a hit or miss kind of thing. Then when you get gas or stop for a while to swim it does this all over again. Here is what I have done to it:

-Checked compression
-Spark plugs replaced
-New fuel lines
-New fuel selector
-Checked and cleaned carbs
-Checked and cleaned "rav" valves

I'm running out of things to work on and I need more ideas. If you have any questions feel free to ask. :thumbsup: Thank you guys so much you have really helped me before. Without yall I couldn't have even done those first steps! I am 19 and have no idea what im dealing with, my SPI runs great and I am just wishing this XP did too. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try pulling the spark plug boots off from the wire. Trim 1/4" of wire off of the end of the wire then install the boot back on there and secure it with a zip tie. When reinstalling the boot kinda twist it around and make sure the wire is in there good...

Mine does literally the exact same thing. Interested to hear what comes of this. I rebuilt my carbs though. Have you checked pop off pressure or done a leak test on the carbs? That's my next step.

No but its really relieving to hear that it has happened to another XP. Ill let you know what I find out! thanks :)

What about rectifier? I've heard those things do weird things to skis. Yours and mine COULD be very different things, or the same. lol Sucks to have such a good looking ski and I can't even ride it. :(

YES, try disconnecting the red wire from the rectifier, if your problem clears up replace the rectifier. You can also check to see if there's any AC voltage across the battery when the ski is running, if there is, bad rectifier. Your rectifier is located in the front electrical box.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0599.jpg
    100_0599.jpg
    811.4 KB · Views: 22
Sounds like cavitation..." Hull makes a terrible noise"... Check your jet pump,wear ring clearance , impeller for dings and carbon ring tension and condition.

Sounds like cavitation..." Hull makes a terrible noise"... Check your jet pump,wear ring clearance , impeller for dings and carbon ring tension and condition.

My carbon seal does spray water at certain speeds.......maybe I should wait for my new seal before I start trying anything crazy. I didn't feel like messing with it today. Starting to get a little burned out futzing with it. Granted with a carbon seal wouldn't the RPMs run up you just wouldn't go anywhere, not bog down like a fuel issue?

If the cavitation is bad enough the air passing through pump creates so much turbulence that the impeller cannot spin throught it.. It literally will put a massive load on engine and it won't rev.

If the cavitation is bad enough the air passing through pump creates so much turbulence that the impeller cannot spin throught it.. It literally will put a massive load on engine and it won't rev.

Interesting. I'm replacing my carbon seal anywho. Prolly a good thing as my carbon seal looked like it could use replacing.

I'd be about as shocked if I won the lottery tomorrow if that was it. On the other hand I swore there was no way my leak was my steering cable.....and it was. Soooooo guess it could happen.

Mine runs somewhat rough on the trailer, so I know it isn't just a cavitation issue. It surely may be part of the issue, but for me when I goose it on the trailer I can feel something just isn't quite right. Maybe I'll start it up and take a vid.

This is for the original post on this page or for anyone else who finds it helpful.

in my experience in all my seadoo's over the years the first and main thing that would come to mind on your issue is all fuel. My recommendation is order a carb rebuild kit ( I get all my stuff from SBT), completely strip down the carb and I mean every thing, pull seat needle, jets, and also in the mukuni carbs that are on seadoo's have little filters on the pump side of the carb which lead to the back side of the seat and needle, pull that and inspect it, its very common for them to get a bunch of junk in them, but if you order a carb kit that filter will come with it. once you get every thing off the carb get a 3 quart can of carb cleaner, (I would recommend napa brand or 3M brand carb cleaner, a lot of cleaners out there are not very good to use these are just two that I know work well) soak the carb and seat, needle, and jets in the 3 quart can for a half our but I would not go much more than that since it might eat the paint off the out side. Then take a spray can of cleaner again and spray everything out one last time, then take your carb kit with new diaphragm's, filters and gaskets and put it back together and you should be good to go. diaphragm's don't have to look bad to be bad as I am sure you already know. I hope this helps. Let me know thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back