1996 seadoo spx adding mods

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Hey guys thought I would start a thread on this. My wifes ski is a 96 seadoo spx with the 720 engine. Well after she has seen what my 97 spx is looking like she wanted to spend some more money on hers. Im just starting to get some info on this but i should be doing all this right after my spx is done.

Things I plan to do:

*I do have another full umi to put on but shes not sure she wants it lol, damn girl!
*I also have another single gauge hood (ones again not sure if she wants that)
*R & D Nozzle
*R & D trim tabs
*factory pipe
*787 Carbs
*different intake gate
*put a 787 prop in
*would like to add drop trim but need to find one
*did get a new seat cover and mats.
*also want to add finger throttle to it

I would love any info that you guys can give to help me, by the way I'm not just going to buy a different ski with a bigger engine lol. Its the fun of building it and i got 3 other skis that I can leave stock lol.

85.jpg

A pic of what I'm starting with, I did paint the ski. Going to install new seat cover and mats

96 style.... 142.5 Highs, 70 lows

You want carbs from a 96 XP, GSX, or GTX. The bodies of the accel pump carbs are not the same.

I'll probably get chastised for this but I'm thinking about a 720 to kawi 1100 swap in my next build. Rad dudes makes an 1100 bed plate intended for the HX so other than some pump issues it should be rather straight forward and make great power on pump gas. I've also got that extra 951 sitting around but either will be next winters project.

I'll probably get chastised for this but I'm thinking about a 720 to kawi 1100 swap in my next build. Rad dudes makes an 1100 bed plate intended for the HX so other than some pump issues it should be rather straight forward and make great power on pump gas. I've also got that extra 951 sitting around but either will be next winters project.

I have thought about that to, only thing is, I dont know much at all about the kawi. my head just fills with lots of questions... what kinda power does it make? or is the 951 better? how how much more power do you get over the ski im putting together right now? is it worth it or is it better to just mod the hell out of a 787? Also on a swap it depends how good of deals you get on the 951/1100 ski and still need an x4.....I just dont know if the time is worth it. I look at Nick and matt and lefts face it those two are the x4 gods around here and as far as i know they dont have it......so how much gain is there to get?

Yah I had same questions but just wanna do something a little different. If I find a good deal on an 1100 I'll go that route. I already have a few other 787 x4s I could use but would have to glass in mounts for either 1100 or 951. I think it would be easy to find a cheap 720 x4 though and use the bed plate. I'm really just thinking about more power with reliability so no performance mods. Either 951 or 1100 would be stock.

96 style.... 142.5 Highs, 70 lows

You want carbs from a 96 XP, GSX, or GTX. The bodies of the accel pump carbs are not the same.

thanks matt, I see the spx 720 carbs use 1.2 needle size and the 787 xp (1996) ones that i have use 1.5 needle side, should i just roll with the whole 96 xp carb set?

Id like to do a 1100 conversion too...only real issue is plan on a new crank as they spit thru cases worse than the 951s! Also you better know someone to get the driveshaft taken care of.

Like I said on the thread on PWCT I will be glad when this 1100 swap craze goes away, yes they are fairly reliable, they are also fairly heavy and on a wake jumper I really don't see the point, on a race ski I can somewhat see it.

Like I said on the thread on PWCT I will be glad when this 1100 swap craze goes away, yes they are fairly reliable, they are also fairly heavy and on a wake jumper I really don't see the point, on a race ski I can somewhat see it.

yea im not a lover of it. Im seadoo all the way lol

Well I just picked up 4 r and d air boxes. I would like to run one on this spx. since im running 96 carbs and set up will i need to change the jets?

Yes, i need change the jet...you will use on 720 motor?
For nice mod..bump the psi ,add flame arrestor...and prop...if you want more bottom end go with skat trak, or more top go with solas X...

Yes, i need change the jet...you will use on 720 motor?
For nice mod..bump the psi ,add flame arrestor...and prop...if you want more bottom end go with skat trak, or more top go with solas X...

not going to mess with the compression at this time. I was told to use the carbs of a 96 xp with the 787 with putting the factory pipe on the 720. that was with using the stock air box.

Try it and see how it runs. The symptoms will point toward the solution if there are any.

If it bogs then pull the choke( or pump the primer) and see if that makes it jump and take off. If it does then you need more fuel so open the low speed needles in 1/4 turn increments to see if that helps. If your 2 turns out from closed on the lows and still need more fuel then up the low speed(pilot) jets to 75's or 80's since you should have 70's in there now.

Try it and see how it runs. The symptoms will point toward the solution if there are any.

If it bogs then pull the choke( or pump the primer) and see if that makes it jump and take off. If it does then you need more fuel so open the low speed needles in 1/4 turn increments to see if that helps. If your 2 turns out from closed on the lows and still need more fuel then up the low speed(pilot) jets to 75's or 80's since you should have 70's in there now.

thanks matt, thats the info i was after

Ok well I got some work done on this last night. put the bigger carbs on last night and when i got to the point to put my r d air filter on none of them would match up so im not sure what i got there. so for now ill just run the stock air box. I have the pipe in the ski just siting there trying to make sence of it.

I got the pipe in the ski like so. Im thinking the big part will go over the top then and back to the air box??
pipe 1.jpg

In this pic im guessing that the spray bar is where i hook up the water injection? Also what clamp do i use to put these two pipes together? I think im missing a clamp. The only clamp that i have is the one from the stock and it doesnt look like what i need.
pipe 2.jpg

clamp from the stock
clamp 1.jpg

The 1/2in what line from the head goes to the 1/2 fitting on the pipe in this pic but what do i do with the 1/4in line that comes off the water line?
pipe 3.jpg

Now the true question is what goes to this? Does this go to the singer on the pipe back by the water box?
pipe 4.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back