1995 Speedster Restoration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bilge pump is working perfectly, I'll be going with my dad who will be the rescue boat.

I didn't think about leaving the cover off the engines, I shall do that, I have also bought an infra red temp gauge so I can keep a check on the temps and make sure the exhausts are cooling etc.

Andy

you might want to back down the ramp and let it run on the trailer to look for leaks and such before venturing out. Good luck! I just finished a 96 Speedster.....just missing a new bimini

^what he said, mine leaks around the flush fitting on one side, but only if you sit on that side of the swim plafrorm or have it on the trailer backed down. The thru hull fittings on the exhaust are culprits also

The thru hull fittings on the exhaust are culprits also
I'll second that. When i had the 787 in my boat, i actually found an oem seadoo exhaust thru hull gasket. It lasted about a season. I would just silicone the hell out of them if i had to do it over again. Getting that gasket installed was a huge pita, and i had just the 1. The rubber cracked up and was leaking the very next summer...

I didn't think about the exhaust exits on the back.

Would you recommend taking the bolts out and sealing them, sticking sealer over the top or just wait and see if they leak?

How badly do they tend to leak? If they do leak is it going to be end of test day before it starts?

For my test day I only intend to put half a tank of fuel in and drive around putting as much time on the engines as possible and keeping an eye on things. There will only be me in the boat with a few tools and my Dad will be following in his boat incase of trouble.

No, but you will get water in there. More if you have more passengers. I would not take bolts out, as that leaves a bigger hole to fill,and is harder than anything else you've probably done on that boat. They're really deep in the hull,very uncomfortable to reach. Just goop it all up with good quality silicone and forget about it ;)

When you back it in and stop before the back of the boat floats off the trailer it should submerge every thing that could leak and you can get a good look at the bilge. Then back it on in and fire the motors up and check all that stuff for leaks, I would take some ear protection its pretty friggin loud with two 2strokes pingin their beautiful song

I have sorted some sealer and will get the exhausts sealed today ready for the big day tomorrow.

Many thanks

Andy

Well I had the boat out today and things didn't quite go to plan but it does float and it does work.

The issues I'm having I need some help with.

First of all I sprung a leak in the exhaust where the little plugs are welded in, is this something I can repair with an epoxy metal or glue?

Next up I seem to be having performance issues, with just myself and half a tank of fuel I only managed 46mph flat out, I was expecting closer to 60 ???

This may be related to the top speed issue but I also found the engines revved up easily and would hit 7000 rpm at about half throttle, I could easily go full throttle then once at top speed pull the leavers back and still stay at top speed with slot less throttle.

I know the impeller are different in my not as it only has one intake but I found some odd issues that may or may not be related to this.

First of all I had to constantly turn right when the revs on the 2 engines were matched, the reverse worked better on the right engine and the left engine seemed to accelerate slightly slower than the right when going from idle to full throttle.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what would cause these issues?

I have 2 new solus impeller ( correct ones for the boat), new wear rings, new drive line bearings and seals ( not fitted with carbon seals) new neoprene seals on both sides and thought the drive side of things would be perfect.

Many thanks

Andy

First of all I sprung a leak in the exhaust where the little plugs are welded in, is this something I can repair with an epoxy metal or glue?

You will need to remove the leaky pipe and have the "welch" plugs welded up with new block offs. It's a common problem with older boats. Had to have mine done on both skis and need another done as I write this.

Next up I seem to be having performance issues, with just myself and half a tank of fuel I only managed 46mph flat out, I was expecting closer to 60 ???
46 mph is pretty good. GPS or dreamometer. That's about tops for the older seadoo boats.

Steering?
Might check alignment on the nozzles first. If that checks out, lower the throttle on port or starboard till it runs where YOU want it.
I always just dealt with it. Heck, who drives in a straight line on the water anyways? Lol!

One engine is always going to successful more water then the other. With that said, you will need to learn the nature of the beast. Best to make some test runs and experiment with it and get used to the way it performs.

Sounds like you have it in a good place.

The reason for the full throttle vs half, is you have hit the sweet spot to stay on plane and not work the engines. Put a tuber on the back and watch that change.

Hi,

Thanks for the response,

Nozzle alignment is spot on I fitted new steering cables as part of the refurb and made sure the alignment was correct.

Is repairing the Welch plugs a weld only repair or would I get away with liquid metal type stuff to repair it? Finding an aluminium repairer in the UK is not cheap usually.

Just a thought going from what you said about pulling a tube, when hitting the throttle in the boat should the engine speed increase with the boat speed like in a manual car or should it rev up and the boat catch up?

When I hit the throttle the right engine would very quickly rev up and the left almost as quickly and the boat would jump onto the plane but not as quickly as the engines would rev up, is this normal or should the engines big down until the speed increases?

At one point I blocked off the intake to the left engine when it was leaking and the right engine still reved up but the boat took a while to get upto speed.

Andy

Sounds a little like cavitation,but a little is normal when you hammer it from idle. Mine does it, but that's a totally different setup. So you have carbon seals or bearing seals for your driveshafts?

Yep new neoprene seals on both pumps but didn't use any sealer on the seal only around the water intake at the top.

I still wonder if some of the issues I'm having are partly related to the different impellers fitted.

Does anyone have one of these and is getting more than 45mph on gps?

Many thanks

Andy

They could be holeshot impellers,which sacrifice top end for hole shot,but I'm not familiar with that setup/props

I've gotten 47mph out of my 96 speedster which has 10 more hp...garmin gps verified so I think you are doing fine. FWIW i have rebuilt pumps with new wear rings and new carbon seals.

Yep they run different impellers from the factory.

I'm not so sure what the impellers are designed for they were just the solus impellers listed for my boat.

I guess if your only getting 47 from a 96 with just yourself on board I guess I'm doing ok. I just was expecting closer to 55 from it. I thought the 14.5ft boats were pretty much the fastest as they were smaller and lighter.

Andy

Yep they run different impellers from the factory.

I'm not so sure what the impellers are designed for they were just the solus impellers listed for my boat.

I guess if your only getting 47 from a 96 with just yourself on board I guess I'm doing ok. I just was expecting closer to 55 from it. I thought the 14.5ft boats were pretty much the fastest as they were smaller and lighter.

Andy

Yeah i was hoping for low 50s but it is really hard to tell what it SHOULD run as so many measure by speedo or phone app

My buddy claims he got 55 in his, and one of his engines was a657x. What rpms were you turning at wot?

I was at 7000 rpm but the engines get there very very quickly they don't seem to speed up with the speed of the boat.

I would expect the engine revs to increase as the boat speed increases but this is not the case, they rev up and the boat then quickly catches up. However it I'm on the plane at say 4500 revs and hot the throttle it jumps upto speed.

Andy

Didn't see if you replied about whether you have carbon seals or bearing seals. Carbon seals tend to leak more in my experience. I once flooded my bilge to where the seal was submerged to test it,and indeed it didn't cavitate as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back