1995 GTS Starting Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midwest Dave

New guy here.........I'm not an experienced Sea-Doo mechanic so I thought I'd ask here to save some time. I have a 95 GTS that starts sometimes but sometimes the starter just spins. Previous owner reached in a spun the flywheel by hand and then it starts with the switch a time or two. I noticed he had installed a lawn mower battery (325 cca, but may not be fully charged or good). Wondering if it's likely just improper or low battery or if the starter is going out? Parts are not available near me so I have to order everything online. Wanted to get one on the way so I have it by the weekend if the starter is likely the problem. Once its running everything seems fine.

I have lurked a long time and finally signed up. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like the starter bendix isn't engaging.

Get a good used starter from Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports as the aftermarket ones are junk.

A bad battery or cables, connections can cause the starter to not spin enough also.

With a
New guy here.........I'm not an experienced Sea-Doo mechanic so I thought I'd ask here to save some time. I have a 95 GTS that starts sometimes but sometimes the starter just spins. Previous owner reached in a spun the flywheel by hand and then it starts with the switch a time or two. I noticed he had installed a lawn mower battery (325 cca, but may not be fully charged or good). Wondering if it's likely just improper or low battery or if the starter is going out? Parts are not available near me so I have to order everything online. Wanted to get one on the way so I have it by the weekend if the starter is likely the problem. Once its running everything seems fine.

I have lurked a long time and finally signed up. Thanks for the advice.

With any starter issue, I want a fully charged battery, at least 12.7 volts, and that also passes a load test. (You may have a battery that reads 12.7 volts, but falls on its face under load). Checking connections (ground) at the battery is next.

Connections all clean and tight, stuck a known good battery in and got the same results. Pulling the starter off in the morning.

Thanks for the help guys.

The amazon ones were shipping without the positive post and brush so I just started ordering from eBay. I think it was Caltrix or something like that.

Update, took the starter off and it appears to be wrong for a 1995 GTS. It only has two ears and the one in the shop manual shows three. It appears to be a fairly new aftermarket but the part number is not legible. It bench tested fine multiple times. They had it grounded at one of the mounting bolts rather than at the third ear and also the rear mounting bolt at the support bracket was not there. There was slight movement of the entire starter which was likely breaking the ground connection at times.

Should I get a new starter or is this an acceptable replacement when properly installed?

JUst a FYI, the aftermarket starters are junk.

Get a good used OEM and put new brushes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back