1995 fuel tank recall?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

6hoppy6

Hello all i have read on this forum and others that there may have been a recall on the fuel tanks Sea Doo used in 1995 and wanted to know if there was any truth to a recall and how to tell if it has been repaired? I called my local Sea Doo dealer and they told me there was no active recalls for mine but I dont have much faith in them because they cant even look up parts for a 1995 in there system. I have a:

1995 Sea Doo XP 720cc (daily driver)
1995 Sea Doo XP 800cc (parts ski-previous owner did too much drugs and blew up engine and then removed it with saw its not pretty)

Thank you for any help, Hoppy

I called another Sea Doo dealer 140 miles away, my lack of faith in the local dealer is justified the 720cc daily driver fuel tank has been repaired, the 800 cc parts ski fuel tank shows it need repaired.

hopefully I can get the attachment to post.

I recently had a fuel tank replaced under the recall for a 96 xp. They do not like to do it, but really must do it.

thanks to Lou for this table

Attachments

• Fuel-tank-recall.jpg
    Fuel-tank-recall.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 68
Yes it is true. When I was doing my 95 XP800 restoration the filler neck snapped off the tank when I tried removing the filler hose. Some searching on the interwebs showed the recall affected a large span of X4 hulls. I called my local dealer and gave him the VIN number and sure enough mine was suppose to have the tank replaced but never did. I took them the old tank and they gave me a new one (they were on back order). Easy peasy, no questions asked.

You will need to give them the VIN. Otherwise they won't be able to identify if your ski has an open recall.

Do you know if they will give you the tank if you bring the old one to them? I don' t trust flat rate mechanics! Dealerships are the worst, I'm a mechanic, but get paid by the hour, and take my time and do things right! Not try to beat the given time so I can make more money!!

That is really amazing that they would allow you to just bring in the tank, normally you need to take the ski in so they can verify hin and get their credit for the labor of replacing it.

Do you know if they will give you the tank if you bring the old one to them? I don' t trust flat rate mechanics! Dealerships are the worst, I'm a mechanic, but get paid by the hour, and take my time and do things right! Not try to beat the given time so I can make more money!!

My experience was the dealer initially told me I had to bring them the ski and they had to perform the replacement. Well my ski was in 1 million pieces and I wasn't about to finish the restore with a busted tank only to take it to the dealer to futz with. I believe this is BRP policy on safety recalls, so I understand.

Fortunately I have a good standing relationship with the service manager (he was restoring an 96 XP at the time) and he agreed to give me the tank if I brought him the old one.

That is really amazing that they would allow you to just bring in the tank, normally you need to take the ski in so they can verify hin and get their credit for the labor of replacing it.

Agreed.

It's nice to have a good relationship with your dealer. I had a 2008 RXPX under warranty that blew it's supercharger during the middle of the summer. Took it to the dealer. 3 weeks went by and nothing. Drove to the dealer with my tools and went out back and removed the charger to show the service manager the damage. He initially was pissed, but after shooting the shit he was cool and agreed to order a new charger and give it to me to install myself.

Moral of the story is become buddies with your local service manager :)

I literally just bought my 1996b seadoo GTI on Monday, call seadoo directly, give them the HIN and see if it has been claimed and repaired. Mine was, it has same issue as yours. Feels comforting that I do not need to do that. Best of luck!

Does anyone know when this recall was initiated? We got these skis back in late '96 - early '97 I believe. Don't think we ever got those replaced.

Just call the dealer and give them your hin, they'll tell you.They can check it while you wait on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back