New OE Mikuni Carbs are not Correct (BN38-34-8113 )

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
1995 Seadoo XP w/717 and dual carbs
Existing carbs are pretty much shot so I ordered in new ones. Part number for new ones is BN38-34-8113

Ughhhh.....carburetors arrived and they are not correct.

The bolt pattern on the top is not the same meaning the OE aluminum air box plate won't work.
The bolt pattern on the bottom (spacing) is not the same, meaning they will not mate up with the manifold
There are no through-bolt bosses for mounting the carbs.
Both carbs measure 38mm across the bottom but across the top is about an 8mm difference!
Fuel hose fittings on both carbs face the wrong way...

What has gone wrong? I was sure the parts or service manual said they were BN38I or something like that.
More ughhhh....it looks like there are a Type 1 and Type 2 version of the same carb. I'm guessing I have Type 2 and that these 'new' carbs are Old Type 1?

Attachments

• 20230823_185136.jpg
    20230823_185136.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230823_185159.jpg
    20230823_185159.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230823_185219.jpg
    20230823_185219.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
E-Bay. It looks like they are genuine Mikuni but my guess is these are Type 1 carburetors and I need Type 2.
The new ones are probably Type 1 BN38 (RB) Round Base?
and the old ones Im guessing are Type 2 BN 38 (SB) Square Base?

And now...looking all over for a new SB38 BN 38 SB seems to be unobtanium. This is what I get for helping my neighbor !!
I bet there's no way to adapt the round base carbs to a square base setup....

E-Bay. It looks like they are genuine Mikuni but my guess is these are Type 1 carburetors and I need Type 2.
The new ones are probably Type 1 BN38 (RB) Round Base?
and the old ones Im guessing are Type 2 BN 38 (SB) Square Base?

And now...looking all over for a new SB38 BN 38 SB seems to be unobtanium. This is what I get for helping my neighbor !!
I bet there's no way to adapt the round base carbs to a square base setup....
No, there wouldn’t be. I had sent a link to you in your other thread for a set of used ones from eBay or you could get a used set from Nick at Westside powersports, I left a link with the contact information on your other thread as well. Nick will tell you the honest truth if the carbs he sells you need to be rebuilt or not. And if they do, it’s not a difficult job, just follow Mikidymac’s carb rebuild sticky

The ones on Amazon where manufactured by Pucky, if the ones on eBay you purchased where also made by Pucky or anyone but Mikuni I really wouldn’t want to use them myself, better off rebuilding a used set.

No, they are real Mikuni's.
I looked into following your advice on the other thread but...I was comparing the price based on being able to buy new carburetors. Turns out it was a faulty assumption because the new carbs won't work. I was talking to a guy in the other thread that had bought the same carbs and he said they fit fine. But....it looks like his was 1992 and mine was a 1995.....so his probably had these round ones stock, which is why he had not problems.

Ughh....so now we have to return these new carbs all the way down to the states. The issue with the carb cores I have is that some fool tried to pull the butterfly out using vice grips and a die grinder.

Getting genuine Mikuni rebuild kits and parts up to Canada is not cheap. At $450 for the two new carbs it was actually about the same as rebuilding the existing ones!

that’s disappointing for sure, are you close to the border? I use a place called my us address, I find it cheaper to have things ordered from the us delivered there for free, then I pay the 8.50 to use the bridge and 7.00 fee at my us address, otherwise when I have packages delivered to my door from USA sometimes the delivery company will charge ludicrous amounts for brokerage. Not sure what the used carbs will run but the rebuild kit from OSD is 139.99 USD,

I'm looking at the email I got from Nick back when you told me to talk to him. I'm thinking maybe I can get one of those back to OEM kits you were talking about sent to him and then he sends the used carbs and the kit to me.

This is what I'm up against with respect to the existing carbs;

Broken/cut off screw on the butterfly, butterfly bent by using vice-grips on it. Throttle bores a bit marked up. I have no idea why the previous owner did that. But also, look at this, he took a die grinder to it for some reason....around the area of one of the mounting bolts....

A real shame we could not use the new carburetors and avoid all of this....

Attachments

• 20230823_202807.jpg
    20230823_202807.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230823_205456.jpg
    20230823_205456.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 10
They were probably seized on the manifold and PO cut the head off the bolts to remove the carbs. The carbs you bought are either for a Yamaha or they are another variation of the SBN38. There's multiple different designs. I believe i have one set left thats in good condition for your ski if you are interested.

Yeah, that would be my guess. Feel free to send me a PM with respect to pricing on those carbs. We're going to have to do something to try and pull a rabbit out of hat :)

Back