1994 GTX Will not start. Turns over very hard with plugs in, better with plugs out.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgrunwald

I am new to the forum and would like to thank anyone in advance for any help.

I have a 1994 GTX 650 that was given to me by my in-laws. They just had it serviced by a local shop because the battery was not charging. The Charging Stator, Voltage Regulator and the CDI Ignition Module was said to be changed at a cost of $950. The SeaDoo was put in the water and was used everyday for about a week. A total of 4-5 hours I would guess. Then a friend of the family was using it and started making a non-normal engine noise and stopped running. They started it and it ran shortly and stopped again. It didn't start after that and had it towed back to the dock and sat there for two weeks.

This is where I come in. I tried starting it. It turned over very slowly that I thought the battery was dead. I charged the battery and tried it again. I got the same result. I thought maybe the battery was dead so I tried my battery from my 98 GS and had the same result. I put the original battery back in fully charged and took the spark plugs out. The motor turned over better but still struggled. I tried turning the output shaft by hand with the plugs out and can not turn it over.

This is where I need some help. What should I check next?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you checked the impeller area for anything that might have gotten stuck? rope, rocks etc.

We really need to know your compression of each cylinder. But it you can disconnect the pump from the engine it may be a quick way to see if you have engine issue or pump issue. Either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJinSC is right. Your next step is to disconnect the pump from the engine. Then see what turns by hand.
Best case is you have pump issues.
Worst Case the engine is gone.

This is exactly what mine did when the pump let go... (I'm 1 for 2 on pump rebuilds... :facepalm:)

+1 to pulling the pump and seeing if the shaft turns by hand.

If it was towed at a speed greater than 15 MPH chances are you ingested water into the cylindres. You could have rust built up on the walls. At his point, I would remove the pump and do a compression reading.

I took a break from working on the 94 GTX but now I'm working on it again. I pulled off the pump and it is seized. I took it apart and found some wear on the impeller housing where the holes are drilled to allow oil to flow around the shaft and bearings. Does anyone know the dimension of what the pump housing should be from the seat of the thrust washer to the seal end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back