1993 XP Wont stay running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDeeSuave

I thought it was fuel but its not. Checked fuses. Have spark when cranking. Good compression. Tries to run but fires and dies. IF you hold down the start button it runs ( ignoring the bendix) but as soon as you let off the start button it dies. Anybody have this problem in their bag of tricks?

Update: I disconnected the white wire on the mpem and it starts and runs. The only way to shut it down is to plug the white wire in.
What the heck?

you are probably looking at a faulty stop start switch.. that's my guess.. from waht youve said the white wire apears to be a ground wire (how the engine shuts down) so the stop start switch is constantly grounding it out, causing the motor to not run.

when you start it you are interrupting the white wire's circuit.. but when you let off the switch the circuit is conpleted, causing the engine to cut out.

Smart white wire?

Thanks for the reply. I dont think its a ground wire. It connects to a red/black wire at the coil then out of the box and into the mag cover. While it was running I checked the voltage and there is no increase. This leads me to think the mag, or something between is bad. I am thinking that the white wire is telling the mpem that the voltage is too low and shutting it down. Maybe the white wire is not as smart as I give it credit for.
I am hoping someone that has experience in this area can confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back