1990 Seadoo SP 580 with a BN round body has 2 fuel pumps? is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschoolSP580

Ive been messing with this for a while and have rebuilt the carb, and put a new external fuel pump on it. It has the yellow motor. I have been doing some online research and cant find out if my BN round body is supposed to have an external pump as well as the one that is on the carb? Right now it will run if I pour gas in the carb, but thats about it. The external fuel pump is working. The fuel pump on the carb is not hooked up to a pulse line, only the fuel inlet and return are hooked up. can I get rid of the external and run just the carb pump? should I run another pulse line to it? can I just block it off? I dont know much history on the ski except its SUPER clean and was told it has maybe 15 hours on it and It looks it. It has some sort of intake adapter and had a nice K&N filter on it until it ended up in the lake. I would like to at least get the BN working enough to ride it before updating to the SBN which seems popular. So for now please dont just tell me to ditch it and get a new carb, thats not in the budget unless one is shipped to me for free, which I will gladly post my address for.

thanks.

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well all the text that I typed has disappeared. Why would this have 2 fuel pumps? can I just hook up the one on the carb and be good?

-carb has been cleaned and rebuilt
-external fuel pump is new
-will run if you pour gas down the carb, and for a little while after.

wtf?! now all the pictures are gone. Are the mods just messing with the new guy here? I'm just trying to get some help from the experts... seems almost too difficult on this forum....

If I recall the round bodies do not have a built in fuel pump so you need that external pump. I could be wrong it has been just a few years.

You are correct sir! Must have been thinking about the old Kehine's. Not sure why you would need the second external pump. It does not look factory.

The service/shop manual indicates an external fuel pump and no fuel pump on the carb leading my thought process to surmise that maybe the carb has been replaced.
I just happen to have a 90 SP sitting in my fleet at number 3 or 4 on my priority list. I will take a look and possibly pictures tomorrow.
Rod

Sorry about the issue at first. The owners informed me this morning that there is software that will automatically "Moderate" a post if it thinks it's spam. I think the software needs fixed since this is the 3rd legit post that it's grabbed in the last 2 days.

Anyway... that's not the factory carb. Your engine should have a round carb without a fuel pump... and then use an external.

This is what your carb and pump should look like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got home to a system that was not blocking access to pictures.

A blue carb ... this is way out of my league of limited experience.

I just checked my stock 90 SP and it has the configuration the Dr indicated with black carb and external fuel pump.

I also checked my 91 SP and it has a black carb with built-in fuel pump.

Yes... the 91 will have an early SBN carb. (Square pump built into the carb)

If you need a carb... I'll sell the one in the pic for $45 +ship. It's off my old Si. (I did an SBN conversion on the Si) It's clean and redy to run.

If you need a carb... I'll sell the one in the pic for $45 +ship. It's off my old Si. (I did an SBN conversion on the Si) It's clean and redy to run.

That carb you have pictured is a 38mm BN and the blue one pictured is a 44mm BN. He will need the manifold also as the bolt spacing is wider with the 44.

Chester

That carb you have pictured is a 38mm BN and the blue one pictured is a 44mm BN. He will need the manifold also as the bolt spacing is wider with the 44.

Chester

As always... Chester is right.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew it was "aftermarket"... but didn't realize it was that much bigger.

well I guess I need to figure out what Ive got. So somebody has replaced the intake manifold and the carb at some point? Anybody around the northern IN area that would like to make some $ and get this thing going?

At this point I think Ill keep this carb and not mess with swapping the manifold.

ur 1990 seadoo carb

Is that still for sell??If so I will buy as my 1990 is having issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back