1988 Sea Doo, all electrical dead, but ski still runs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jethrob

Hi
New to the forums, and Sea Doo's.

Just got an 88 model, and the dash is dead.

The ski runs fine though!

I checked the overheat buzzer by grounding it and it is dead too.

I have no idea about these electrical systems. I was thinking maybe the rectifier popped and killed everything.......does this sound accurate?

What is common on these to kill everything?

Any tips on where the rectifier is and how to get to it?

1988... they didn't have a "Dash." So, if yours has some gauges... they were added. (post a pic, and verify the year by the last 2 digits of the hull #)

As far as the buzzer... Yes... it's going to be dead. Almost every SeaDoo I've played with that was a 97~98 or older... the buzzer was dead. You can buy a replacement from radio shack for $9.

If you do a quick search, you will find a thread on how to change it.

Finally... if it's running, it's fine. More or less... power goes up to the tether switch, and it turns on the power to the buzzer, and the rev-limiter. (that's it)

Ok now I'm a little embarrased:stupid:

Well I did a little reaseach and I'm guessing the last two numbers of the hull ID is the year.......so I'm tinkering with a 95 model.

Ok now I'm a little embarrased:stupid:

Well I did a little reaseach and I'm guessing the last two numbers of the hull ID is the year.......so I'm tinkering with a 95 model.

Yup... that's a lot different.

Check the fuses, but if the ski was neglected... the gages could just be dead.

ok I dug into this thing

Pulled out a schematic and am not seeing "fuses" anywhwere.

got to looking around and have found two quick connecters unplugged.

Trouble is I'm afraid they were unplugged for a reason. It's in the hull.....right above the fuel tank

One is three prong, has a red with white striped wire, purple, and grey wires.

The other one is two prongs....and it mates brown and brown/white wires.

Any idears?:bigear:

You might also add the model #. look on the engine for a id plate. I have a 95 SPX which shows as a 657X engine. Or look on the rear of the body. If you post the actual hull # it probably will provide the info needed to determine the model.
The electrical diagram will show which cables are which re color. You can download a manual from this website if you join as a premium member. There may be a free one online elsewhere. But you need to know what year and model you have.
The fuses must be Ok since you are running. They are in the big plastic electrical box on the port side. It is difficult to remove but can be done by pulling it up and above the battery.

Now that you have the year next will be to identify what model, does it have reverse? then it is prolly a 3seater which has a gas bar graph and oil level light, the gas guage in that era dissolved in gas - imagine that, but if you wish to remove the tank and float it can be fixed a few different inexpensive ways, the oil light works with a float that does not dissolve and marking the tank in the beginning of each season to verify the oiling system is drinkng is an easy way to verify while you run on premix gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back