GTI Aftermarket MPEM

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I decided to take a shot purchasing an aftermarket MPEM for a 2003 GTI. Ski has electrical issues I'm certain but I wanted to rule out the MPEM. Skis starts and runs but is temperamental. Sometimes it won't do anything when I install the key. Then after I unplug the mpem, mag plug it beeps and works. I've had the ski kill on the water with everything electrical DEAD. Then I Unplug everything and it started right back up and worked great. I'm gonna be chasing this down. Can't be too complicated there just isn't that much electrical on the ski. LOL

I installed the aftermarket MPEM and when I insert the key the ski beeps and at the same time the starter engages. That happened once but it only did it for a 1/ second. When I connected everything and did another test the starter engaged and would not disengage. I unplugged everything and it was still spinning. No Start of course. I had to disconnected a battery lead to get it to stop. I contacted the aftermarket MPEM seller and of course the piece of crap won't respond. So $130 lesson. I'm not buying another one.... EVA !!! Hope this helps someone.

Sometimes it won't do anything when I install the key. Then after I unplug the mpem, mag plug it beeps and works. I've had the ski kill on the water with everything electrical DEAD. Then I Unplug everything and it started right back up and worked great.
Sound like an intermittent connection or wire in the harnesses you unplug. Try moving those harnesses/connectors around while the ski is running to try to get it to shut off to narrow down where the issue is.
I contacted the aftermarket MPEM seller and of course the piece of crap won't respond. So $130 lesson.
If you used a credit card, contact the credit card customer service. Sometimes they have purchase protection and will deal with the vendor and refund your money if the purchased item is defective and the vendor does not respond.

No aftermarket MPEM's, you know this Etemplet :cool:
I hear ya. :D :D People have had success with these and as @artr mentioned I may have another issue which I believe is the problem. I think the MPEM is good and will work. I think I have a problem with the mag or wiring or... perhaps the start/stop switch. I'll have to spend some time on it. Just strange that when I get 2 Beeps the starter engages. :D :D That doesn't seem like an MPEM issue. This one will be interesting.

With the current OEM MPEM, I install the key and it doesn't get recognized at all. No beep or anything. So I unplug the mag and MPEM wires once or twice and the ski gives me 2 beeps and the ski starts and runs fine. I rode the ski for 30 minutes and just when I started trusting it, it died deader than friend chicken. NOTHING. I removed the seat, did some manipulation of the plugs (just unplug and replug) and the ski gave me 2 beeps and fired up with no problem at all and ran great the rest of the time on the water. Something weird. I was/am just hoping the manufacturer may be able to shed some light on the fault. It doesn't look like the vendor is interested in exploring that. I wish I had bought from Bay Area Powersports because I would have gotten assistance for sure. I should know better. I deal with Jason a lot and he does a great job and should have given them the opportunity. I might just buy an MPEM from Bay Area. I have discussed this with Jason a couple years ago.

I gotta explore everything. I simply can't let these skis die off just because OEM parts are not available or Pay blatantly expensive prices some vendors are asking for the part. So... I beg forgiveness for breaking "known caveats" regarding Seadoos. They do exist for reasons. Ha ha.

Back