06 RXP 215 acceleration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhuwiler

Hi everyone, anyone know anything I can do to improve the acceleration of my ski?...Like, there's these guys with yamaha two-stroke's - rlly small, light things - and they fly away from my 215 supercharged RXP in the beggining, then I catch up with them and rape them in the end...but acceleration on this thing is rlly poor...is there any parts I can remove to make it lighter?? or anything else to improve accel?? thanks. xx MJ

intercooler is the cheapest horsepower
check to see if aftermarket cooler is out there for your ski
might have to add adjustable fuel pressure regulator
different pump nozzles might add to your acceleration
cruise the aftermarket sights to see whats out there for ya
horsepower aint cheap
mud

Hmmm.....Over $6,000 plus labour. I'd still be trading up for more HP.

But really unless your racing on flat water (not that much fun) you'll not hardly notice the difference.

My '05 RXP is just a handful of seconds behind a '09 RXP X over 500 metres in a straight line, around the bouys I can beat the RXP X.

2 stroke quicker than 4 strokes by design...

Hi everyone, anyone know anything I can do to improve the acceleration of my ski?...Like, there's these guys with yamaha two-stroke's - rlly small, light things - and they fly away from my 215 supercharged RXP in the beggining, then I catch up with them and rape them in the end...but acceleration on this thing is rlly poor...is there any parts I can remove to make it lighter?? or anything else to improve accel?? thanks. xx MJ

You kinda put it in a nut shell when you say they get you on take off but then you catch up and rape them in the end (I think that's how you said it).

The 2 stroke engine has half the stroke of a 4 cycle engine from the intake of fuel, to the exhausting of it's gases, making it inherently faster. Moto-cross racers usually use them for that reason. The acceleration control at the approach to a hill/mogul jump is easier anticipated because of gained experience in feathering the throttle. There will never be a four stroke that can increase and drop rpm faster. The 4 stroke, of course has to make 4 complete revolutions between the intake of fuel and the exhaust stroke.

Now, for building torque, endurance and top speed, the 4 strokes can't be beat.

For you to beat these guys off the line, you might think a change to a lower progressive pitch impeller would get them but, in the end, you will lose that top end that you are hammering them with.

I see someone is pointing you to the RIVA stage I, II and III kits. Yes, they can be very expensive but they will make a pretty dramatic increase in your ski's performance.

What's weird is, when you first rode that ski, with 215 ponies, you were probably awestruck. I know, last year, I rode the RXP-X and was in total awe. But, like everything else you buy in life to satisfy that "thrill seeking" need, you eventually get used to the performance and then feel, it's not as fast as it once was or your motor is no longer the top dog and you want to change that.

The 215hp is a fast and b*tchin ride. If you start modding it, or looking to catch up with the 255hp, what you going to do in 2011 when BRP comes out with the TRX-X? That's the new Rotax, 340hp gas turbine engine equipped with automatic retractable hydro-foils!............J/K

Point is, when you find a way to out run them from the start, then its on. The guys on the Yamahammers will find a new mod so they can get the upper hand on you again. It's a cycle that really doesn't stop......Ahhhh, what its like to be young.:rofl:

I'm kinda lookin for the same thing. I got an 09 215 Wake.

It works fine for wakeboards, but worst case scenario, heavier guy, on a wakeskate, with the ballasts full, it can do it, but just a bit more bottom end pull would be nice.

I really dont want to gear down my prop, I like the top end speed.

I think I'll try an intake grate and air intake to start. Is there anything else that could be helpful?

I'm also looking at getting a set of sponsons to make it ride a bit more stable. Any reccomendations?

Key word,.... "heavier"

I'm kinda lookin for the same thing. I got an 09 215 Wake.

It works fine for wakeboards, but worst case scenario, heavier guy, on a wakeskate, with the ballasts full, it can do it, but just a bit more bottom end pull would be nice.

I really dont want to gear down my prop, I like the top end speed.

I think I'll try an intake grate and air intake to start. Is there anything else that could be helpful?

I'm also looking at getting a set of sponsons to make it ride a bit more stable. Any reccomendations?

The key word, "heavier". I'm not sure of your experience level with towingn skiers/wakeboaders. This may be way out in left field but do you really think you need a change or do you think maybe, the heavier guy lacks experience in popping up out of the water.

I've got a friend who weighs over 200 lbs and can pop out of the water in seconds. He's been skiing, wakeboarding and barefootin (well, like me, he's gotten to old to barefoot), kneeboarding and sking since he was a kid.

On the other hand, we have a friend, not quite 200 lbs, who we use as a water plow. He drags the boat down. Takes for ever to get out of the water. We've given up the idea he'll ever be able to wake board.

My point.... Your 215hp has more power than most boats/skis of the same weight and design. Your not really needing any changes to the drive train, just changes in helping this guy/gal be able to learn to use the given power and speed to come out of the water, to his advantage. There really is no mods you can do to change that, only the boarder can do that.

I hope I'm not way out in left field here. I may be. I've just read so many times where someone thinks they need a change to the propulsion system when the problem is experience in the one being pulled........:cheers:

Thats very true too, but I know that even for myself, I have a harder time getting up on a wakeskate with the doo.

It makes sense though, less surface area compared to the wakeboard means you need more pressure under the board, which you only get with speed.

It's completely doable as is, but like I say it would be nice to have that little extra bit off the line to get going.

Variable pitch...?

I tell you what would be awesome. An adjustable variable impeller. When I was in the Navy, our ships props had variable pitch. The shaft spun in one direction. When you were in neutral, the blades were flat to the spin of the shaft, creating no forward or backward movement. But, when you wanted to go forward, you'd slowly increase the degree on the blade. We'd rev the shaft rpm up first, then apply as much as 30* to the pitch.

So, if we were able to adjust our progressive pitch impeller, man,.... What a technology breakthrough that would be. Buying an impeller with a fixed pitch would be obsolete.

Realistically, it may be an idea, when the time comes, to drop down one degree on your impeller to gain that extra "umph" to help you out. With such a small change, you'd likely not loose top end and probably gain just a little bit more of a hole shot. You could also think of a power nozzle, which would increase that little bit of power at the beginning of your power stroke.

Yeah, That would be perfect.

The new cummins 6.7 in the dodges have a variable geometry turbo that works exactly like that. Makes boost fast, then changes its blade pitch to make higher boost. All computer controlled.

And collective pitch helicopters have been doing that for a long time.

Obviously an impeller has to push more than a turbo, but I will not be surprised to see that technology on seadoos within 5 years.

Variable pitch...

They've been making variable pitch props on boats for over 20 years. The first ones I saw were on the gas turbine powered Spruance destroyers. Those things had twin shafts and 4 LM2500 gas turbine engines. They would scream.

Imagine a huge destroyer making about 50 mph on top of the water. Rooster tail behind them things was about 40 feet high!... It was awesome standing there and you'd think you hear a helicopter bout to take off, when it was the Spruance winding the turbines up. You would see bubbles coming out from the back because the shaft was spinning up. Then, they'd throw that pitch in about 10 degrees and water would fly all over the place! I have to admit, when I was in the military, I saw some technology in propulsion systems that you'd never see anywhere else.

Cargo and container boast use diesel engines for economy. These propulsion systems were awesome but not economical. The military designs things to go fast, shoot further and all that. But, in our real world, it's not cost effective or practical to implement them in day to day boating......:cheers:

was it a stock ski? if so you may have a problem with yours. what are your MAX rpm's at WOT??? also are you getting any cavatation? may be time for a new wear ring.

theres lots of mods out there all depends on how much you want to spend.

You can piece together a stage 2+ for half the cost of what Riva wants. Get there stage 1 kit, XS intercooler, ford 42lb injectors, Riva Gen2 supercharger wheel and reduction nozzle. Good place to start and wont break the bank and can be easily added on to when you get bored.

You can piece together a stage 2+ for half the cost of what Riva wants. Get there stage 1 kit, XS intercooler, ford 42lb injectors, Riva Gen2 supercharger wheel and reduction nozzle. Good place to start and wont break the bank and can be easily added on to when you get bored.

Yeah, that seems the way to go. I just got an air intake and intake grate.
The ice just came off the lake this week, but then we got two feet of snow :(

Where in alberta are you, seen the big blizzard all over the news, it will melt soon!!! Im hoping to get out this weekend, Ill have to dodge the ice tho

Have to dig out the sleds ... Im just east of Yorkton into manitoba. Lived in Edmonton for a year. Not much water out there if your big into the water toys I found!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back