Real World Speedster 150 Performance Expectations -- Top Speed, etc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmarky

I am interested in the top speed of 2008 and newer Speedster 150's with all engine choices, because people on this forum are reporting results that are all over the map. As best I can determine the 155hp normally aspirated Speedster 150 should do about 50mph. I am assuming the 215hp supercharged will do high 50's. According to the Sea Doo website, they spec 60mph for the 255hp supercharged (2009 and newer) -- here's a quote from Sea Doo's current website regarding the 255hp Speedster 150:

Jaw-dropping handling. Lightning-strike quickness. Even Mother Nature would stop and stare in awe. And with good reason. Flash across the water at 60 mph* (96.56 km/h) and crank the wheel toward your next stop. No problem. This boat and the water are inseparable. With room for three friends and the ability to go from 0 to 30 mph (48.28 km/h) in 2.8 seconds*, you won’t want to leave either.

*With High Output engine.

I recently ran into a guy at my boat launch who had two new RXT's, one 215hp supercharged, the other 255hp supercharged, otherwise identical. I asked him what the performance differences were between the two. He told me the 255hp was only 2 or 3 mph faster, but that it gets up there quite a bit quicker. Assuming the same is true for the boats, which is logical, it seems as though the 255hp gives you better acceleration but not much more top speed than the 215hp.

I recently test drove a 2008 Speedster 150 with the 215hp supercharged engine. The fastest it would do according to the speedometer was 48mph. And the acceleration wasn't very impressive either. My 125hp Kawasaki STX-12F jet ski would eat it for lunch and I was not expecting that to be the case -- yes the Speedster is heavier but it also has almost twice the horsepower. Note in the above quote that Sea Doo also specs the 255hp Speedsters as doing 0-30mph in 2.8 seconds -- plenty fast for me, but how does that compare to the 155hp and 215hp models?

The guy whose boat I test drove said his boat was basically brand new, had only been used a couple of times and only had an hour or two on it. From the looks of both the boat and trailer I believe him, but the acceleration and indicated speed made me skeptical about the boat. In addition, the hour meter was at "1" when we started out, returned to "0" and never exceeded "1" hour on the display even though we were out for over an hour. I subsequently read somewhere on here that these boats had hour meter problems requiring a software update. So who knows what the actual hours were, or whether the speedometer was accurate. Even though the boat was in brand new condition, I decided to pass on it because of those two issues.

The Speedster is exactly what I'm looking for -- jet ski performance and handling but in a small boat rather than a ski. The problem with a jet ski is that you're on it, not in it. Taking a friend isn't much fun when they're relegated to being the "bitch" on the back. With the Speedster everyone can enjoy it and there is room to move around rather than being confined to sitting on it. You also don't have to constantly wear an uncomfortable and hot life vest and get a striped tan.

It's unfortunate that Only Sea Doo makes a small jet boat like this. Being detail oriented, in my opinion the build quality and fit and finish of the Japanese products, Kawasaki and Yamaha, are far better than Sea Doo. I also don't know much about the Rotax engine other than horror stories about the supercharger ceramic washers. I do know you can depend on a Kawasaki or Yamaha engine -- typical first class Japanese engineering and quality.

But that being the case, the Speedster is the only show in town, and it's design is very clever -- I want one, but if the 215hp model I drove is representative, then I might as well get a 155hp and not have to deal with supercharger issues, because the 215 I drove performed as I would have expected the 155 to perform, and I'm not especially satisfied with that low level of performance. If I want higher performance it appears the 255hp is the only option, unless of course there was some kind of problem with the 215 I drove. But it genuinely appeared to be almost brand new, and was doing 7800 rpm maxed out, so it appears it was performing properly and the engine was nice and smooth, no fouled plugs, bent impeller vibration or anything like that -- it was in showroom condition. If the speedometer was simply inaccurate, it seems to be a widespread issue and I don't know why Sea Doo can't make instruments that are reasonably accurate. If I recall it used the same type of wheel sensor on the transom as my Kawasaki and the Kawi is extremely accurate, having compared the indicated speed to a GPS.

So to summarize my overly long post (sorry about that) I am interested in what a Speester 150 with the 215hp engine (as well as the 155 and 255) will actually do in terms of top speed and rpm, and acceleration, so as I shop I know what the actual performance perameters are and I have a reference point for comparison if I'm able to test drive it, which isn't always easy to arrange.

Two final things. I'm in California. Boats here have a factory sticker on them indicating the California Air Resources Board emissions level of the craft. Three stars is "ultra low emissions" and two stars is "very low emissions". According to Sea Doo's own specifications, the 2008 and newer Speedster 150 with either the 155hp or the 215hp supecharged, are BOTH supposed to be three star certified, as is the 255hp supercharged, but I have seen three of them now with 215hp and one or two 155hp, one a brand new 215hp 2008 Speedster in a dealer showroom, and all three had two star stickers on them, not three star. I even checked the VIN numbers on all three to confirm they were in fact 2008 models. So the badging on the boats does not match Sea Doo's own specs. A minor point perhaps, but indicative of the kind of inconsistency I'm seeing with Sea Doo products.

Lastly, I have seen two different threads on here where people claim they have purchased brand new 215hp supercharged Speedsters and then discovered that they were not supercharged. I believe one claimed that Sea Doo replaced the boat after four or five months of haggling. I simply cannot believe that the Sea Doo factory would make such an error. This does not seem credible to me and I do not believe this is true. It's hard to imagine how they would be able to stay in business. However, if it turns out that it is in fact accurate, then I don't think I would ever buy a Sea Doo product because that kind of slop would be indicative of a company that makes crap. So please tell me it ain't so.

Perhaps someone with Sea Doo expertise can respond to some of my questions.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
speedster performance

hi there you have many concerns about brp some are an issue like you i would have prefered a yamaha but brp has it all wrapped up in this segment. so i have owned all three engine options from 05 155 08 215 and now a 09 255 first of all the speedo on my 09 was way slow never more than 48 mph but i knew boat was faster than that. the speedo wheel at back was too low in the water a commen problem when set properly it read 62 mph. the 08 was nothing but trouble the o5 and 09 were and are good so far. got the 09 last june and it has 45 hours on it. it is a rocket and we love it. the 155 did 52-54 mph the 215 did 56-58 mph the 255 does 60-63 mph all on gps. the 255 needs premium fuel to do that though. but the accelleration difference is huge though compared to 155 not much difference from 215. if you pull throttle back when boat comes out of water you will never have sc problems hope this helps. ps one final note these top speeds were in the spring in cool weather they were all a few mph slower in the heat of july.

Thanks Ruby.

You have helped me tremendously. You are giving me exactly the kind of information I was after.

You mention the 08 215 was nothing but trouble. Is that why you got rid of it and got the 09 255? What kind of trouble are you talking about?

Also, what was the difference in fuel consumption between the three engines?

Thanks again,

Mark

yea hi there i just added a side note about top speed and time of year, we travel much of the time in a group at about 35 mph and at that speed there is not really any difference in fuel consumption, but as soon as start to cruise at 50 mph which the 255 seems to do effortlessly the 155 is wide open and barely keeping up and i think it uses at least as much but it runs on 87. the 08 215 had the imfamous sc issue at 24 hrs then at 40 hours the DESS post failed and unit would not start then at 52 hours the starter drive failed and would not start again all in less than 12 months. my wife would not get back in that boat for fear of being stranded somwhere so i traded it in for a non current 09 255 and that boat worked awsome last summer. that being said i have nothing bad to say about dealer just that boat. but when the 215 worked it worked good.

OK thanks a million Ruby. Sounds like your 2008 was just a bad luck lemon. Of course DESS and starter drive both have nothing to do with sc or hp so could happen to any model, including other boat models or jet skis for that matter.

I'm surprised to hear that fuel consumption was about the same with the 155 and 255. I suppose then that the 255 really starts to drink it up when pushed hard, but at a normal cruise is similar to the 155 because the 155 is being pushed hard at normal cruise while the 255 is just relaxing.

I have a 07 155 Hp speedster. It has been a great boat but do take into account. For one thing, the boat has the 215 Supercharger decals on the hull and engine and it did come that way from Sea Doo. The people I bought it from bought the boat new, used it for one month and were sent to Iraq for 3 years the boat sit in a garage and when they came home to sell it. Found it did not have the Supercharger engine and Sea Doo refused to do anything about it and of course the dealer was out of business. So yes, Sea Doo did defraud them.
But back to the boat. I bough it with 6 hours on it. I have found Sea Doo is a great engineered boat. Really great design, but it is put together like a 1970's Detroit car. No quality control at all. I spent three weeks going through the boat, Replacing things like screws over tightened and striped in the fiber glass, none of the storage compartment lids were adjusted and sealed properly. The fit and finish was as bad and any product I have ever seen. But after getting everything put back the way it should have been to start with. I think It is a great boat. I just wish someone at the factory would have cared enough about their job to have put the boat together properly and due to the fact someone put the wrong stickers on the boat, it cost the original Military family an extra couple of thousand when they bought it.
OH, its top speed is 50.2 MPH at 7550 RPM after replacing the air intake with a riva. Was 7400 RPM max with the stock air intake. Makes a big difference in low end power too. and as for as fuel mileage. At 5000 RPM 25 mph I get 5.7 MPH, alone in the boat. Same speed with four people in the boat it will get about 4.6. weight makes a big difference in economy. At fast cruise about 45 mph alone I get about 4.4 mpg. IT does get a little better than the SC models.

I spoke to one of the guys that did the Bimini trip last year in a 2007 speedster 150 215hp boat, overall he was very happy with it. He ended up trading it in with approx. 120 hrs on it for a new Challenger 180SE. He never had any problems with it, he installed a larger supercharger, injectors and air intake and was able to get over 60 mph on it verified by GPS. Prior to the mods in stock form he said he got 54 mph verified by GPS.

Dacatifast -- thanks very much for all the info. How much does that Riva air intake cost and is it easy to change? Will it effect the emissions -- big deal here in Cali.

After seeing what you have to say, I'm thinking maybe the best thing for me to do is test drive a 155hp model if I can arrange that. But since the 215hp performance didn't exactly spin my propeller, it's hard to imagine I'd be OK with 155hp. But if the supercharger needs to be overhauled every 100 hours as people are saying here, at a cost of something like $800, that doesn't exactly spin my propeller either. I downloaded an owners manual for the 2008 model and it doesn't say anything about a supercharger overhaul at 100 hours. It only calls for a supercharger inspection at 200 hours. here's exactly what the manual says about supercharger maintainence:

At 200 hours: Supercharger drive gear, shaft and lock washer (if so equipped) I (inspect) D (to be done by dealer)
Supercharger slipping moment (if so equipped) I, D

So from reading the Sea Doo manual you get the impression the supercharger is not maintainence intensive.

As far as your boat having 'Supercharged 215hp' stickers on it but not having a supercharger, yes your other post about this is one that I read. However, the people you bought the boat from bought it from a dealer that's now out of business. If the dealer was a shady operation they could have put the supercharger 215hp ID on the boat themselves. I don't know how it could be conclusively determined that the dealer received the boat that way from Sea Doo. Since the Rotax supercharged engine doesn't really look much different, you don't see a blower or big intercooler, it appears pretty much the same as the 155hp version, an unscrupulous dealer could order the stickers and engine cover, put them on and get away with fooling many buyers. I'm not hearing anything here that proves Sea Doo made it that way. But Sea Doo picks their dealers and if a dealer did that and then went out of business, Sea Doo should still support their product because it was their dealer and it's their reputation.

From what you are saying, I'm thinking I should reconsider the 155hp that you seem to be happy with. Now if I can just figure out a way to test drive one. Too bad boats aren't like cars in that respect.

Thanks again for all of your help.

thor7000 -- Thanks for that info. Personally, I would not be interested in spending a bunch of money -- and what this guy did sounds very expensive -- for warranty voiding mods. Six mph isn't going to make a difference to me if the boat does 54mph to begin with. That's plenty fast enough whereas I feel 45 is kinda slow. The other key is acceleration. I want to get out of the hole and onto plane pretty quickly. If the 155hp and 215hp are pretty close from 0-30, then I might just stick with the 155, but the only way to be sure is to drive them.

As for as the stickers go. I know the original owners very well and they are very good people. They ordered that boat as a 155 at the dealership, when the boat came it, they were there to unload it and unwrap it. So unless the truck driver delivering the boat, stopped, removed the plastic wrap, replaced the stickers and then recovered it with the plastic wrap. It was Sea Doo that put the wrong ones on it. They were not happy that it was the SC model but the dealer made a big song and dance about it and said he was making them a great deal. And yes, Sea Doo should do something about it. What the original owners asked for was for the $2000. that they over paid for the boat and they were not asking to keep the money, but told Sea Doo they would be happy if they would donate it to the Muscular Dystrophy charity as they have an ill family member with it. Sea Doo said NO.
As for as performance, I am very happy with the 155 now it is more about 170hp. Here is a link to Rivas parts. The air intake was about $85 and maybe 10 minutes to install, very easy. But Riva has a performance package for the 155 boat that will increase its speed to the same as the stock 215 SC.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18&zenid=ig0jtapo9m9kef4lgp4ik3fot4

As for as these boats go stock, the 155 will run about 46 mph stock and the 215 will run 54 mph stock. AFter marketed up, the 155 will run 54-56 mph and the 215 will run 62 mph ( but only after major upgrades, larger supercharger, higher pound fuel injectors and much more.
As for as the Supercharger rebuilds, Riva sells the rebuild kit for about $300. and you do the work yourself. And yes, there are a lot of arguing about when to do it. so who knows.

Hey thanks. I'm not into doing a bunch of expensive mods, or a lot of heavy lifting myself as opposed to a mechanic, but for $85, if that air intake makes a significant difference and is a quick install, I would sure do that.

Top Speed

All this talk about top speed is silly. These boats have no windshields, you cant go over 40 for any length of time without getting extremely uncomfortable, especially the passengers. In hot weather it is like being microwaved.
And if you hit a solid wake or wave at that speed, you will best case get thumped real hard, worst case, passengers thrown out/injured

Also, the fuel consumption over 40 is just dismal.

I have to agree with him, I just dont run top speed that much. The last time I did a 45 mph trip I got wind burn on the face. I spend more time running 25-35 and just having fun. As for as what boat is right, the question is what is right for you. To me, I mainly do long trips, love to travel with the boat and with the 155 hp, I find it very reliable, better fuel range, run synthetic oil,( yes due to the slipper clutch you can not do that in an SC boat) and dont have to worry about the maintenance problems. I have a lot of friends in South Florida and even the yamaha riders will not buy a SC PWC because of the problems they have in salt water and they can afford anything they want, some even have multimillion dollar boats. ITs just up to what you need for your self. IF you are going to be showing off, racing other boaters, then you need the 255 SC. If you are getting it to have fun yourself and do long trips, better range, then you need the 155hp. One is not better than the other, One is just better for you.

I understand Uncle Jay, but as I said in my opening post, and many others have said in various places, the Speedster is essentially a large jet ski. Everything you are describing -- no windshield, etc is the same experience you get with a jet ski. I'm cautious enough to slow down before hitting a large wave or wake, as I do now with my jet ski. I've only flown into the air once or twice -- you learn quickly.
Keep in mind, I'm 59 years old, not some careless kid, and I grew up around boats so I know how to handle them properly unlike so many jerks you see out there that buy a new toy and have no concept of the "rules". Those are the idiots that kill people.

But I have taken extended rides -- 10 miles or so at 60mph with my jet ski, no problem. I usually launch in an area of delta sloughs, which are like empty freeways and you can run wide open, plus the curves are a hoot. But when an oncoming boat approaches, it's time to back off and deal with his wake safely, and for some reason the wakes boats make in these sloughs are enormous. Even my Kawasaki makes a huge wake in there.

So I am looking for the jet ski experience, but with the ability to take a couple of people with, plus the comfort of being able to move around or lay back in the sun or whatever. I would actually prefer to have a windshield, but Sea Doo doesn't make 'em that way and nobody else makes 'em at all, so you gotta take what you can get. It's a case of "whatever floats your boat".

I do definitely want enough power to get very quickly from a dead stop to a plane and 25-30mph with a few people on board, and enough torque to do that while pulling somebody up on a wakeboard or ski. Will the 155hp accomplish that? If so maybe I should reconsider them as Ducatifast advises.

Just curious. Considering your remarks, why do you have the 255hp supercharged rather than the 155hp for yourself??

Ducatifast --

Sounds like good advice to me. If the 155hp will do close to 50mph or so and get up there fairly fast, that's plenty for me. But I do want swift acceleration from a dead stop out of the hole. And yes, based on my experience with my jet ski I can imagine cruising some way at top speed, though like you I would mostly do 30-35mph.

I don't expect to do many long trips, mostly playing around in the sloughs, the bay or lakes. It is about a 30 minute ride from my area up the Napa River to downtown Napa but I have never tried it. I sure as hell have no plans to venture out to the Golden Gate Bridge, though there are jet ski clubs that do just that. It's choppy as hell out there and we're talking BIG chop, not to mention it's usually freezing ass cold unless there's a heat wave going on. In Florida you can't escape the heat and the water is warm. Here, you have to travel some distance to find the heat and the water is still ice cold!

Thanks a million for all your insight. I appreciate it.:D

Why The 255 ?

Because a 300 HP is not available ha ha

I got a great deal on a 2009 left over it was sort of an impulse purchase. It is fun but a non-blown 180-200 hp engine would be better, like the 4 cylinder Yamaha jets.

Yeah if Sea Doo would just add a cylinder to that Rotax engine you'd have a 2000cc four cylinder with around 200hp or so and not have to screw around with a supercharger.

I run for miles at top speed all the time. Faster is always more fun. If you dont like to go fast, buy a canoe. :willy_nilly:

I run for miles at top speed all the time. Faster is always more fun. If you dont like to go fast, buy a canoe. :willy_nilly:

LOL....very true!!

When I was using my sportster 4TEC 155 I was pretty much full throttle where ever we were going...granted it was usually within the inter-coastals down in Florida so the water was calm, but on my speedster200 I find we cruise more at 25-30 mph then at full throttle.

Pulling

Great thread - exactly what I am looking for.

My interest is for a family water sports. Something fun that is easy to own and tow. All boats require maintenance but that SC overhaul scares me a bit. I do not need the extra top end speed, and can also take a hit on acceleration.

But is the 215 better at towing a skier/tuber/wakeboard? Or can the 155 HP handle that fairly well too?

John

PS Yes, I own a canoe. But this is actually an upgrade from a sailboat. It is just to darn dangerous to take the kids tubing from a sailboat. They seem to get bored, fall asleep and roll off the tube

My "new" 2010 (255PH) hits 60mph (on GPS), but I probably won't be driving that thing over 40 most of the time. I think I would have been completely satisfied with the non-supercharged model ... for me a top speed of 50 would be plenty fast. I had a '98 Speedster (twin 110 2-smokes) and I thought that boat was hitting the high-50s, but I never verified using GPS. Looking back, I don't think my '98 even hit 50. But it was fast enough though. And for gas mileage alone, my new boat is MUCH better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back