Real World Speedster 150 Performance Expectations -- Top Speed, etc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that I am a few years too late for this thread but I love with a passion my 09 speedster 155. We purchased this instead of the supercharged due to the lower maintenance cost and worries. I would rather have the awesome under achiever than the broken overachiever.

We bought this used last year and It serves us well. The only issue we had was a bad starter and yet with the dual batteries we have it started slow but still started. We have since replaced the starter of course.

I know that people care about top speed but when you are on the street/strip that's all good, when your on the water its not always a good thing. Other boaters sure as hell don't see you, the shallows come quick and no matter how experienced you are you still will find shallow water when you least expect, hell even ships find shallow water, just a difference how fast you find it. Or what about that guy on the kayak or canoe you don't see at top speed. Happens a lot here in Florida.

Screw top speed. I love reliability.

When you wreck in the street you might walk away, when you wreck in the water you might drown.

Justjay well said. I have the 150 speedster with the 255. I have to say I wanted the acceleration of the supercharged setup but rarely go top speed with it. With that said, the GPS top speed is 64mph in cold water this time of year with rpms 8160-8200. During the summer heat though, 61mph is max speed with 8020 rpm area. We do get some wind burn at top speed.. Not to pleasant when your passengers eyes are watering.. All my seadoos starters turn slow warm .Just recently I had the starter or starter drive fail on my seadoo ski with the same engine that's in my boat.. Dealer is doing the repair..

I wouldnt have minded the supercharged, would have loved it, however I took my boat out on Sunday and the people onboard wanted me to slow down a lot.. kinda sucked...

I also only achived 6950 rpm.. I think I need to do the 10 hour maintenance.. or something.. :)

Wow I just read my post earlier and I was achieving 7300 to 7400 rpm in March 2013... Maybe it could be the load? I had 4 people about 718 pounds on board...

Last edited by a moderator:
New Speedster

Just purchased a brand new left over 2012 for $15,000, including trailer. I could not be more pleased with the boat and the price. It’s a 155 hp and has plenty of top end and not bad on acceleration. I would like to have the turbo acceleration, but not the issues. I am very saddened Seadoo has decided to stop building boats, but at least I got mine and at a very good price

Only question, if I pull a tube, it seems the tow rope will signifcantly rub against the motor cover. Any input?

Just purchased a brand new left over 2012 for $15,000, including trailer. I could not be more pleased with the boat and the price. It’s a 155 hp and has plenty of top end and not bad on acceleration. I would like to have the turbo acceleration, but not the issues. I am very saddened Seadoo has decided to stop building boats, but at least I got mine and at a very good price

Only question, if I pull a tube, it seems the tow rope will signifcantly rub against the motor cover. Any input?

Congrats, I saw the 2012's listed recently for $15,000 lucky you!, I thought I got a good deal last year with a left over 2011 for $16,799 (though it included dealer prep, $14,999 + $1800 dealer prep)..

This was before I found out seadoo was getting out of the boat business, I probably would have fought for what you bought.

Some people don't pay dealer prep.. But since Bert's Mega Mall is minutes away from me, I figured for any warranty issues it's better someone local..

Back to the op, I really like my new speedster, I think I took it out now like 10 times, been having a blast!

By the way I confirmed via GPS that fastest I took my speedster was 44mph, I think I got to 45mph, but definitely 44mph, and my speedometer said 34.. So it's true the speedometer on the boat is 10mph low..

By the way I confirmed via GPS that fastest I took my speedster was 44mph, I think I got to 45mph, but definitely 44mph, and my speedometer said 34.. So it's true the speedometer on the boat is 10mph low..

That surprises me...I thought that the 155 would put the 150 boat in the low 50's mph.

Cya

That surprises me...I thought that the 155 would put the 150 boat in the low 50's mph.

Cya

The lake I was at is small, i have to go in circles, I have to go to a bigger lake and do a straight line test... realistically I think I can make it to 47-50, at 7400 rpm... but the conditions have to be calm, no waves and wind.

The lake I was at is small, i have to go in circles, I have to go to a bigger lake and do a straight line test... realistically I think I can make it to 47-50, at 7400 rpm... but the conditions have to be calm, no waves and wind.
I might be way off here...I'm sorry if I am. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that with the 155 hp motor that the boat would get right at the 53-52mph mark....but I guess you are kinda stating that.

The weight in the boat, conditions of water and wind will come into play a lot.

I'm sorry for bugging you and the others on the forum. I'm just trying to figure out which watercraft to purchase...speedster vs. jet-ski.
Once I figure out which one then I have to figure out what model...

Decisions...decisions...decisions

Cya

I am very disappointed in BRP. I love my new Speedster, but found out from a couple of different dealers they have already stopped making the orange burst seats. My seats are fine, but thinking ahead and expecting them to be discontinued in the future, I wanted a spare cushion set of the back and the seat base. I received the back, but apparently there are no bases in any dealer inventory and BRP is not making any. If they have already stopped making the seats on the 2012, I sure it will not be long at all before many other parts will follow.
If anyone has any information to the contrary or suggestions, I would love to hear them . One dealer in VA said he was on the BRP “boat delaer” council and stated he was very disappointed in BRP for doing this.
Otherwise, I LOVE the boat and do not miss messing with my two jet skiis we previously had. If not for the potential isssues with parts and BRP, I would highly recommend the Speedster.

I am very disappointed in BRP. I love my new Speedster, but found out from a couple of different dealers they have already stopped making the orange burst seats. My seats are fine, but thinking ahead and expecting them to be discontinued in the future, I wanted a spare cushion set of the back and the seat base. I received the back, but apparently there are no bases in any dealer inventory and BRP is not making any. If they have already stopped making the seats on the 2012, I sure it will not be long at all before many other parts will follow.
If anyone has any information to the contrary or suggestions, I would love to hear them . One dealer in VA said he was on the BRP “boat delaer” council and stated he was very disappointed in BRP for doing this.
Otherwise, I LOVE the boat and do not miss messing with my two jet skiis we previously had. If not for the potential isssues with parts and BRP, I would highly recommend the Speedster.

If you don't mind me asking....what exactly do you mean in the saying of "messing with the 2 jet skis you previously had"?

Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide whether to get a couple jet skis or a speedster for the wife & I to play around on.

Cya

Very specific reason….it is pain in the butt to put in 2 jet skis at a busy loading ramp. My wife hated trying to hold the two skis while I parked. People waiting get mad and it there are any waves, they start banging together or against the dock. I simply back the jet boat on the water, my wife backs it away and picks me up once I’ve parker. If you do not have to load them each time (i.e. you have a dock space), that would make it much different. We also have young kids. They love the comfort of the Speedster and it will come out of the water almost as easy as the skis. Equally nimble as well.

These are the exact things I need to hear from the forum. My wife thinks that the skis would be a lot more fun to be on while on the water...I really like the idea of a speedster. Thank you for your help. Cut

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Is that so?
Well I just did a search and it looks like your part # is 269002164

I went here to do the search (epc.brp.com)
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fIndex.aspx

I also found your seats! please buy them right away just in case:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-DOO-SPORTBOAT-SEAT-SET-SEAT-BASES-SEAT-BACKREST-UPHOLSTERY-/281112209872?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item417397e9d0&vxp=mtr

Man, I appreciate the update. The list of used seatson eBay are from the same dealer I purchased the boat new. I will give them a call in the morning. I can not quite make out if all of the seat bases are stained. If just one is not stained, I'll buy the whole set.

Regarding the new part number, yeah, it appears it is available via all of the various dealers on line by entering the part number. However once ordered, three dealers have come back and said "discountinued" and none in stock (Seadoowarehouse, Riva Motor Sports and Kingsland Reach Marina)

Thanks again for the eBay find. I have been searching eBay and did not pull this set up. I hope one is not stained and you have helped me tremendously.

You welcome... it seems pretty cheap, I will scoop them up if I was you..

Also, did you call BRP corporate? If I was you, and I needed my seat real bad, I would BRP corporate and let them know that they stated "they would continue to keep parts in inventory" or did I somehow misread what they promised/pledged?

Though I am going to be very honest with you, I Always found my part (thankfully), even for my older 1995 seadoo sportster, I pretty much found everything I ever needed!

Now orangeburst seats should be easily available... call BRP corporate and let me know what they tell you, I somehow believe that they would even make you a seat if it comes to that point.

You welcome... it seems pretty cheap, I will scoop them up if I was you..

Also, did you call BRP corporate? If I was you, and I needed my seat real bad, I would BRP corporate and let them know that they stated "they would continue to keep parts in inventory" or did I somehow misread what they promised/pledged?

Though I am going to be very honest with you, I Always found my part (thankfully), even for my older 1995 seadoo sportster, I pretty much found everything I ever needed!

Now orangeburst seats should be easily available... call BRP corporate and let me know what they tell you, I somehow believe that they would even make you a seat if it comes to that point.

Agree, great price on eBay. I purchased them the same day you pointed them out. They have a few very faint pink stains from something, but they are just back up seats in case needed WAY down the road. There is quite a bit of pressure put on the seats from occupants stepping on them to get in from the back of the boat. I called BRP....very weird conversation with the Service Rep. He said "that doesn't sound right about the seats" but he couldn't confirm and said I need to go to local dealer and they would work with BRP. At this point, I should be good. My seats are all great and I now have the back up seats with the minor few stains. I could live with that if I have to at some point. Thanks again...that was a great deal!

Regarding the question on choppy water, I have mine on the gulf with 1-2 feet and not a single problem. The jet boat feels very much like a big jet ski. I do not miss my skis at all and still love the boat.

Agree, great price on eBay. I purchased them the same day you pointed them out. They have a few very faint pink stains from something, but they are just back up seats in case needed WAY down the road. There is quite a bit of pressure put on the seats from occupants stepping on them to get in from the back of the boat. I called BRP....very weird conversation with the Service Rep. He said "that doesn't sound right about the seats" but he couldn't confirm and said I need to go to local dealer and they would work with BRP. At this point, I should be good. My seats are all great and I now have the back up seats with the minor few stains. I could live with that if I have to at some point. Thanks again...that was a great deal!

Regarding the question on choppy water, I have mine on the gulf with 1-2 feet and not a single problem. The jet boat feels very much like a big jet ski. I do not miss my skis at all and still love the boat.

Glad to be of service, that was a great find, and a great price, the normal price per seat is over $300 dollars, so you made it out like a bandit again :)..

About 1-2 foot waves, I remember cruising in Lake Piru, and I got like a 5 foot wave! THAT WAS FUN! and scary, turned on my bilge and throttled like a rabbit running from a hound, this was my 2nd time out on my new boat, with virgin riders, the guy next to me said after about 40 gallons of water entered my hull "are we ok?" and I wanted to reassure everybody in the boat, but I was quite pooping on myself and I said "yea we are ok, this is normal" trying not to show any nervousness, so I turned on my bilge and throttled all the way up!! A LOT OF FUN!

The Speedster is designed for flat water. Anything more than 1 foot will significantly slow you down unless you like a bumpy ride. Having said that, I've taken my out to sea across to some Islands and in 1.5m surf with 4 people. I did a few jumps over the waves but never took a breaker head on.

The ride was horrible in 2 foot chop (1 hr each way to cross the bay), but even if you take waves over the bow, they will drain fairly quickly. My back was rooted by the time I got home. At least on a jetski you can stand up and use your legs as a shock absorber, but the Speedster won't allow that.

I'm not complaining, I bought the boat for water skiing, but don't buy this expecting / hoping it will be an ocean-going vessel or smooth in chop over a foot.

My speedster 155 would run 51-52 mph at 7240 rpm with one person in the boat, but I didn't want to go that fast caused I hate the wind blowing my face, most of the time I would let the boat stay at 33-35 mph for more comfortable experience, loved my boat so much for performane and reliable, if I see the same boat in a good deal in the future, I will buy another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back