05 3D Re-start problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowmanzx1

This is a weird problem......
Launch the ski....it starts fine....take off it goes great no issues. After about 20-30 minute ride, we always stop and swim for a while (after idling thru a long no wake zone).
Then when we try to take off again (there are usually 6 of us riding...but 1 3d), the 3D is a bitch to re-start.....sometimes it takes 10 minutes to re-start. Sometimes we HAVE to pull the plugs and wipe them off (they are soaking wet) just to get it going again. We know that the idling isnt it, because sometimes we goes go to a point and stop and rest for a while (let the 2-strokes coll down)....then go again...but once again the 3d gives us grief re-starting again.

This all started after having 3 years of no problems at all, when one day my son backed off of one of those jet ski docks....where the ass end goes straight down, with the nose straight up in the air. I did the same with my RXP, big deal, I don't know how else you are supposed to get off those jet ski docks (where you ride up on them). Anyway, 5 minutes later, the ski sunk. We thought he left the plugs out, but nope...they were in. We have installed a manual bilge pump, dis-connected the bailer's....took it to a dealer, they couldn't find any reason for it to sink. But ever since then, the re-start issue exists.....can't get rid of it. I have replaced the injectors and even installed a switch to eliminate fuel pressure and close all fuel to the injectors after you pull the lanyard. Then when you install the lanyard, switch re-opens fuel line, no problem. I dont understand how it could possibly flodd like it seems to be...but i'm stumped.

Anyone else experience anything like this or have any idea how to fix it ??

Thanks.

Sounds like the injectors are leaking. On the RFI engines... when the injectors start to leak... it makes it VERY hard to restart since the engine becomes flooded. (and fouls plugs, and idles rough/rich)

If there are no codes... then you will most likely need new injectors.

I agree that it sounds like injectors. We dis-connected the injectors from the intake but left them connected to fuel line. Then put injectors in a mason jar so we could watch them work. Put lanyard in.....try and start motor...injectors open perfectly, then removed lanyard....no fuel leakage. These are brand new injectors too. Plus even if they are leaking, as I stated above, we installed a switch to dump the fuel pressure and close fuel line when you pull lanyard (after 5 seconds).

That's why to me it's very weird. It seems impossible to me that it could be flooded on a re-start, but it is.

Any other ideas ??

Do you have the 800 or 951 engine. (I don't remember when they changed)

If you have a 951... you could have broken reeds.

If you have an 800.... the RV could have slipped time.

Does the 3D run well once it's started? Have you checked the compression?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 04 and 05 ski's are 787 RFI's.
The 06 and 07 ski's are 951 DI's.

Mine is an 05 787 RFI. The ski is bone stock, no mods whatsoever.
Compression did surprise me.....in stock form.....both cylinders were like 190+.....almost 195+.

Once the ski re-starts, it runs like crap for a few minutes (like on only 1 cylinder). Once the flooding has cleared up, ski runs fine again.

195 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not right. 195 psi static compression would require 110 Octane race fuel.

So... the question is... what's the engine flooding with??? If the injectors aren't leaking... is water getting in to it??

Pull the spark plugs, and crack the engine with a dry white cloth over the holes. Try to see if it's water, oil or fuel coming out.

Yea right I thought 190+ was WAYYY to high....especially since I only run it with 93 octane premium....NO ETHANOL.
My brother did the compression test...he thought it was way to high too. I'll double check the compression again.
Might take me a day or two to get to it.

We were just talking about it this past weekend, he was wondering the same thing....could water be getting in there ??
There isn't any external leak that I can see. I'll try the rag trick.

Thanks.

One more thing... don't hook the lanyard on at first. Crank the engine by jumping the solenoid. I don't want you to have the fuel pump turn on.

Once you crank with the towel... and check that out... THEN... put the lanyard on, and crank it normally. I want to know if there is an inrush of fuel when you put the lanyard on, and the pump primes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back