03 Challenger 1800 Electrical Problems - Gauges Don't Work and Intermittent Beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is my first post!

I've got two problems I've found on the recently purchased Challenger I have.

1) None of my 3 gauges work. I have already checked/changed the 3a gauge fuse (it seemed fine, but changed it just the same) and there was no change.

2) Shortly after starting the boat I get 4 beeps and then ever 2-5 minutes after that they beep again - repeating this process as long as the engine is running.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome.

1) Pull the plug off the gauge, and make sure there is power at the gauge. If there is... then the gauges coould be bad.

2) 4 beeps is either low oil, or water in fuel.

Welcome.

1) Pull the plug off the gauge, and make sure there is power at the gauge. If there is... then the gauges coould be bad.

2) 4 beeps is either low oil, or water in fuel.

Thanks for the response.
I have been using oil as the tank was full and now has about 4L left in it. If I know the oil level is not low - what would the next step be? After about 30 minutes of start and stop wake boarding attempts the computer kicked in a dropped my rpms from 1/2 throttle down - I gave it 1 minute off and it pulled fine after again.....

If water is in the fuel - how could that have gotten in and/how would I test to find out if that's the case? It has beeped since I got it two weeks ago - and always pulled strong. So if it was water in the fuel, wouldn't it ride a bit off?

If there is power to the gauges - would there be another fuse somewhere that could affect all three gauges at once? It seems a little far fetched that all 3 gauges could have an inline fuse and they are all shot... thoughts?

Thanks

If the computer thinks the oil is low... then you coudl have a bad sender, or a wire is unplugged, or broken.

Water in the fuel is common in a boat. The newer fuels attract water, and when they sit... it will separate out. Also... if you had a loose fuel cap... water could have splashed up.... OR... if you buy fuel at a marina, they could have gotten water in the tank.

Before we move on with this... we need to know exactly what engine you have. Please let us know and post the engine serial number to verify the version.

Regardless... if you have a warning going off... you shouldn't continue to run the boat. It could be nothing... but you could burn up an engine over something simple.

If the computer thinks the oil is low... then you coudl have a bad sender, or a wire is unplugged, or broken.

Water in the fuel is common in a boat. The newer fuels attract water, and when they sit... it will separate out. Also... if you had a loose fuel cap... water could have splashed up.... OR... if you buy fuel at a marina, they could have gotten water in the tank.

Before we move on with this... we need to know exactly what engine you have. Please let us know and post the engine serial number to verify the version.

Regardless... if you have a warning going off... you shouldn't continue to run the boat. It could be nothing... but you could burn up an engine over something simple.

Hello,

My M/N is S240J30ZS and
S/N is OE4134449.

So whats my next step? I've already noticed the manual I have is for a different 240 as the oil resevoir is on the side not the front as in the manual. Sweetness!

Appreciate your help sir.

Josh

OK... You have the newest 240. And yes... your oil tank is different.

Since you are a premium member... you can get the proper manual. There are 2 for the 240 in there. You want the "M2 2002 240FI" version.

They are very similar... but they did a TOTAL re-design of the oil, and fuel system.

Well... I would start by pulling the wire off the bottom of the big fuel filter. If the beeping stops... replace the filter. If the beeping continues... you will need to look at the wires on the oil tank (the small one) to make sure they are connected. Also... you will want to make sure the float switch inside is working. (I'm assuming it's full of oil)

I'm having the same issues with the gauges my self have not found a solution yet for that one. as far as the beeping it happened to me once before all I did is open the cap to the smaller container holding the oil (the one following the line from the big oil container) sounded like opening a bottle of coke and then closed it back up tight and the beeping stopped and the boat ran normal again. Ive taken the boat out a bunch of times since then and it never happened again.

Thank you for the advice above.

I ended up taking it to the shop as I was leaving for work across the country when it died on me. They took my vapour separator off and it was described as having 'a little bit of fuel in a lot of water'. Turns out that they don't even think the filter was removed in the 10 years its been in operation and was almost rusted still. Turns out there was some salt water run through it at some point and never got flushed out properly. They now have to clean out the whole fuel system to avoid anymore salt damage.

There is also suspected to be a lot of water in the tank - how did it get in you ask? The vent for the tank was busted off somehow so it has and easy access into the tank.

The cleaning process has begun - hopefully they don't run into anything else super serious. Fingers crossed.

Yep.... that would do it.

Since it was running... I don't think it will be a big problem. They will get it cleaned out.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you aren't replacing it with an OEM gauge.... then you need something compatible with a mercury OUTBOARD engine. The sport jet engines are basically a 2.5L outboard power-head, mounted inboard.

The typical inboard engine is a car engine, and has a distributor to get the tach signal from.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you aren't replacing it with an OEM gauge.... then you need something compatible with a mercury OUTBOARD engine. The sport jet engines are basically a 2.5L outboard power-head, mounted inboard.

The typical inboard engine is a car engine, and has a distributor to get the tach signal from.

Ahh, that I/B and O/B description is great, thank you.

I'm looking at getting the teleflex amega set, for outboard engines @ http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/TELEFLEX-AMEGA-68362P-4-GAUGE-SET--OUTBOARD_p_297.html

Sorry for all the questions, its greatly appreciated - but a) how do I know if I have the right sender fin my boat for the fuel and b) if it's a genereic gauge for outboards, should it not work for merc vs whoever?

Teleflex has been around a long time. If it's an "Outboard" gauge... I'm sure it will be fine.

****EDIT****

Sorry if you read my fist post.

Your sender is 0 to 90 ohms. So... it's not going to work right. Depending on how creative you are... you could pull the sender unit, and change the value of the resistors. The seadoo sender is basically a board with switches. Each switch has a resistor. SO... changing them could put you on the right scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.. that sender won't work. Well... it could, but you will have to cut a hole in the top of the tank, and mount the flange. (I won't try it)

The seadoo sender is a tube with a float.

Well, just a little update on it all.

1) Fuel system had some salty water in it and needed to be fully cleaned out (aka take the engine out) and dismantle it all
2) Beeping didn't stop when they got the system cleaned, found out that the ECM was fried.
3) Fuel gauge was busted.
4) Speedometer sender was busted
5) Tach gauge was good, just a bad connection - but I replaced it as well as I ended up getting 3 custom gauges from speed hut.
6) Also found out that some repair work on a hole in the hull was horribly done and they actually re-shaped my hull altogether and had a small leak

What a great bill this will be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back