1998 Challenger 1800 constant short beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

goldog57

Hi All,
I've got a 1998 Seadoo Challenger 1800 with twin Type 787 Rotax engines and a single MPEM. I'm having a problem with after a short period of time the MPEM is giving constant short beeps. Its currently on the trailer with plenty of water circulating. It seems to happen earlier on the port engine and later on the stb engine. It happens on either engine if run separately only.

I've searched high and low and the closest thing i've found is 8 short beeps indicating a defective MPEM but this is definitely constant with no noticeable time difference after the 8th beep and before the 9th beep. The last time it was used I got the constant overheat beep, but have checked all inlets and have run the temp gun over all components currently all looks good.
Anny ideas would be very welcome

I had the same issue with mine 1998 challenger last year, the shop end up disconnecting the tachometer which was causing electrical interference, I am not sure if was simply quick solution or indeed it was something wrong with the tachometer. You may try doing that.

I had the same issue with mine 1998 challenger last year, the shop end up disconnecting the tachometer which was causing electrical interference, I am not sure if was simply quick solution or indeed it was something wrong with the tachometer. You may try doing that.
That doesn't sound like a solution. How can you live without the tachs? Do you have aftermarket tachometers? I'd rather have the "beeping" in the lanyard broken than lose my tachometers. BTW, I am experiencing exactly the same problem this weekend. If or when my boat mechanic figures it out I will let you know.

Hi, I have a stock standard boat with standard tacho's that are both working. I agree the tachos' are essential !!

That doesn't sound like a solution. How can you live without the tachs? Do you have aftermarket tachometers? I'd rather have the "beeping" in the lanyard broken than lose my tachometers. BTW, I am experiencing exactly the same problem this weekend. If or when my boat mechanic figures it out I will let you know.
Yes, please let me know what you found out.

Back