02 GTX drive shaft... got the clip out, but...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane72

Ok, so I got the c-clip off the drive shaft. Done. Pulled on the shaft and it's supposed to come straight out correct? The c-clip is all that holds it in place. It was hanging up on something, so I look back in the hull and the silver sleeve the end of the shaft goes into on the motor end is trying to come out with the shaft. I'm afraid it pulled loose from the PTO/seal. What could I have messed up with this? Pull the c-clip, pull the drive shaft. Supposed to be simple from everything I've read.

Anyone else encounter this or know what I'm talking about? Ideas please? Can I cut the carbon ring and pull the PTO boot and pull the drive shaft through with that piece still on it? Can it damage the PTO? I stopped to find out before I move forward.

Thanks guys!

No, not that simple as your description. Have someone apply some slight pulling pressure on the driveshaft at the pump and using a brass punch, tap forward on the pto bearing seal right at the base where it meets the driveshaft. A few taps and the driveshaft will be free.

Then just work it through the collar and out it comes.

Don't worry, you haven't damaged anything. Even if you pulled the pto bearing seal free from the rubber boot it's no big deal, just held on by a hose clamp. The key is tapping the bearing seal forward to release it from the shaft, it is a light press fit and just pulling won't free it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also either rub a little bit of grease on the exposed shaft on the inside or spray some wd40. It tends to get dry around the shaft and also the rubber seals. When i took mine out i pulled on the shaft with some pressure and it finally came out. I was curious to why it was so hard to pull so I put the stainless steel stopper on it while I had it out of the ski and it nearly got stuck by just how dry everything was. Put a tiny bit of grease on it and slid back and forth without a problem. When I slid it back in and put everything back together I pulled on it to see if it was still hard and nope the lube helped a ton

I don't think his problem is the collar that fits against the carbon ring. I think the problem is the pto bearing seal. There is a special tool that seadoo makes just to free this bearing when removing the driveshaft but it is not really necessary if you know what you are doing.

These driveshafts are very different than the 2 strokes where you just remove the c-clip and pull it out. On the 4tecs, the end of the driveshaft in the pto housing is sitting in engine oil so another seal/bearing is needed.

Thank you guys! I was afraid if I pulled something loose at the engine side it could slip into the crankcase. Yikes! Glad it isn't the case. If I can get this out without destroying the seal or boot I can get it back together and on the water this weekend hopefully. Been a long time coming.

simple job, you'll be on the water in no time.

Well I got the shaft out. What a mess. The thing is pretty rusty. So I'll be soaking it and brushing/sanding it the next couple days and then be putting it back together. Crazy. The rubber bumper on the end was toast. I pulled little pieces of it out of the splines in the pto housing for a few minutes. feel I got it cleaned up pretty well though. This thing better run like a new machine when I'm done! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back