'02 GTX DI - Change oil being used?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomC

Hello. I am a newbie. Purchased a '02 Sea-Doo GTX DI. Excellent shape. <100 hours. Prior owner was using: Citgo 2 Cycle Marine Plus Engine Oil. NMMA, TC-W3. Owners manual states to use Bombardier Formula XP-S synthetic engine oil (or equivalent), and NOT a NMMA, TC-W3.

My initial question is.....if it runs so we'll, is this really a problem? I assume there may be a lot written on this topic, and I really need to change to the recommended oil.

The question I'm most interested in......if I should be using the recommended oil, I believe I need to fully drain the prior oil (NMMA, TC-W3) before changeover, as I've read it could be very bad to mix. Can you support me in understanding how to do rid the engine of existing oil and changing over properly?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes that is absolutely the wrong oil and very bad for a DI, 951 engine.

You need to drain the oil, clean out the tank, change the oil filter and refill with only full synthetic API-TC rated oil.

You also need to remove and clean your RAVE valves because that oil oil has gunked them up.

Hi. First, THANK YOU! Is there an instructional on draining the oil, cleaning out tank and changing the oil filter? As well, remove and cleaning the RAVE valves?

As Mikey said pull your rave valves and clean. Most likely there will be a lot of oily carbon buildup, you will need to change the oil and filter.
If you change oil brands absolutely remove the old oil as the different oils don’t mix well.
If you decide to change the oil we can talk you through it. To do it properly, it is not an easy job, but not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back