02 Challenger still no luck!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernesto14

So I checked all the issues that could be wrong with the engine over the past 2 weeks and still had no luck. A buddy of mine came out to the water with me and we checked the compression, which all cylinders were at 140, along with coils that also had a good spark. The carbs were removed and were clean. The wear is in good shape, no out of the ordinary small scratches. I cant see the rpms as the gauges are not working, none of the 3 are. Could it be possible that the timing is off, should replace the cables? Could that be why the spark plugs have no burn marks on them in cylinders 4&5.

Since you started a new thread.... I'm not sure what you are talking about. I know you've made posts, but it's to hard to go digging around to try to help. That may sound dumb... but I look at A LOT of threads, and I can't keep them all straight.

So, what's it doing? And at what RPM?

Also... what cyl's are you calling 4 and 5? Those 2 cyl's don't really have anything to do with each other. (different carbs, different reeds, and I don't think the coils blast each other)

Ok sorry about that... I was having issues with the boat not leveling off at full throttle and it did not want to run any faster than 4-7 mph. I cant see the rpms because the gauges are not functioning. The 2 cylinders that I believe are not working are the top 2 port side. I have only come to this conclusion b/c all other cylinder spark plugs have burn marks and these 2 seem like they came right out the box. They are getting mixture in them, and compression is good along with spark. I do notice a vibration but believe that comes from those 2 cyl's not working correctly

Also... what cyl's are you calling 4 and 5? Those 2 cyl's don't really have anything to do with each other. (different carbs, different reeds, and I don't think the coils blast each other)

Both carbs seem to be fine when I removed them, almost like new. The boat has not been used much, as a matter of fact it hasnt been used for the last 3 years.

OK.

The top 2 Port side cyl's should be 2 and 4. The engine numbers are...

P S
2 1
4 3
6 5

That really doesn't make sense to me. #2 and 4 are on different triggers, and if the switch box was bad... #6 wouldn't be firing either.

It's not going to be a fuel issue, since the carbs are feeding the other side.

I think you need to sit with the manual, and do all the tests for the ignition. DO NOT assume anything is good, and check all the parts, via the tests in the book.

Was the engine apart?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.

The top 2 Port side cyl's should be 2 and 4. The engine numbers are...

P S
2 1
4 3
5 6

That really doesn't make sense to me. #2 and 4 are on different triggers, and if the switch box was bad... #6 wouldn't be firing either.

It's not going to be a fuel issue, since the carbs are feeding the other side.

I think you need to sit with the manual, and do all the tests for the ignition. DO NOT assume anything is good, and check all the parts, via the tests in the book.

Was the engine apart?

You are correct I verified it on the internet. My mech says the same thing... I have heard maybe that it could cables or timing which we will checking in the morning. I would love check according to the manual but I cant find the shop manual to my application.

Thats what I cant seem to put together its killing me... yes its has been opened to repair trany but they never ran it afterwards... and thats when it was stopped for 2 1/2 years.

I read somewhere else that sometimes the spark plug cables, even if they show a good spark with the tester they still can be bad... could this be the case why 2 and 4 cyl's are not firing? Just wanted to confirm this with you guys just in case... before I go out and buy cables...

I guess... but they are so short... they usually don't have any issues. But I think you have an intermittent spark. That's why I want to you methodically do all the tests in the book. At this point... Don't think... just do.

I guess... but they are so short... they usually don't have any issues. But I think you have an intermittent spark. That's why I want to you methodically do all the tests in the book. At this point... Don't think... just do.

True... thanks Dr Honda for the information...

So I've looked for everywhere in the engine to try to find the problem and can't find it anywhere. I think I've done it all. I checked compression (140 psi) all around, good spark. Good stator, magneto was in specs. This is what I'm dealing with just to get a better idea. Carbs are good to. Could it also be to much oil in the mixture.

I might have found the issue. .. I was doing a simple start of thw engine and ran fresh water to cool and when I took out the sparks I found small drops on the spark. I have a leak in those 2. Is there a temporary fix that I could try in order to see if runs ok untill I open her up, or should I just open it anyway.

The clean plug tells me that cyl just isn't running for some reason. It's not going to be fuel, since the top carb also feeds the cyl on the other side.

Since the compression is good.... that would say there isn't an issue with the piston, ports, or reeds.

If it was my boat... I would get a simple "in-line" spark checker, and clip it on, and start the engine. I'm guessing, once the engine starts... you are loosing spark to those cyl's for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back