'02 Challenger 240 EFI powerhead swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

superfly42

I have an '02 Challenger with the 240 EFI M2. In 2019, it threw a rod (original post: Thrown rod). I pulled the heads off the old motor and all but one cylinder was in great condition. I'm pretty sure the rod bearing failed for the bad cylinder as there were bearings embedded into the cast and the top of the piston.

But the good news - I finally swapped the power head with the one from Seiler Marine.

99.5% of the swap was easy. I took great notes along the way, labeled everything, tons of pictures and videos, so swapping everything over to the new power head was a snap. The issue was when I broke one of those 1/4" bolts off when installing the air cover over the injectors, fortunately on a thru-and-thru hole. Once I got that out, I tried to re-tap the hole and broke the tap off. That was a bad day/week. I now own a few torque wrenches :thumbs-up:

(I'll do a follow-up post on how I got the tap out)

Getting the motor out wasn't that bad with my chain hoist. But putting it back in and getting it lined up SUCKED! I finally figured out that if I put straps around the exhaust so that I could lift the back end up to level it out, it went in pretty smooth.

I had to pull the motor twice because I overlooked that hex plug at on the bottom when I dressed the new motor o_O

New gas, plugs, filters, belt. And I've now had a successful driveway test with the garden hose attached, so I'm ready to start the break in.

For the break in I plan to run 40:1 mix in the tank in addition to the oil mixer and I'll follow the ~1hr break in guide from Mercury, as opposed to the 10hr break in procedure I've seen on Crowley - though for the first 10hrs I still plan to vary RPMs and not hold a higher power setting for long.

Wish me luck!

Here is the break-in procedure I followed, which I found in this forum.
breakin.jpg

I did not do the first section on the trailer as recommended. I did it out in the open water after a 20min warm up at idle.

I only ran into 1 minor issue: When I got to 4500 RPM the motor suddenly stalled. Visually, nothing obvious wrong. The motor had no issue firing back up, but then I found the root cause: When I moved the throttle, very little happened. The clip around the anchor on the throttle cable had popped open. So I clipped everything back in and like magic, I was back in business.

The boat ran great. I still haven't towed anyone behind it, and will probably wait until after 10 hrs. I love cruising around lakes, so no biggie there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back