your Challenger top speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
44 MPH in '05 Challenger 180

I've gotten up to 44 mph in my '05 Challenger with 2 of us (350 lbs). Then i sucked up a big rock. Now it doesn't get on plane! Doh! Time to replace the impeller/wear ring.:(

EDIT - With the new impeller/wear ring, i hit 48 mph! Replacing the impeller wasn't that bad. Figuring out the left handed thread on the impeller cone was the hardest part. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch!...

Man, I hope the stator isn't damaged. If it is, see if you can smooth it out with a file. That puppy is high priced!...

50 mph on calm water with low fuel and one person. Not bad for a 20 foot Challenger boat.

I had a 00 Speedster and it went 56 mph but the hole shot was incredible !! It was addiciting. I loved being at 1/2 throttle with someone new in the boat and then hammer it and watch their expressions !

I am glad to see this thread re-pop up. It shows what my speed was before the new engine, prop, and wear ring. I searched but could not find it.

Mine now only does 41 (gps) with a 16/26 Skat Swirl impeller, but instead of taking 10-12 seconds to plane, does so in less than 3 seconds. So for me, that is a VERY good thing.

I will easily pull a skier now, when before it would never plane pulling me on 2 skis.

But, I have had the entire fuel system and carbs torn down and have not done what Karl mentions, about fully synching them. I might be able to pick some more up that way, and maybe a bit more when the rings get seated?

You have to remember too that your impeller and wear ring were junk so that is why it wouldn't plane out before quickly. Mine would take 30-40 seconds to plane out before my impeller and wear ring were in rough shape. I am betting it planes in under 5 seconds come spring time. My mechanic also told me it should pull up a wake boarder no problem now.

Here's what I do...with the carb cover off...not running of coarse...be sure the throttle comes back to idle position...look to see if there is any play in cable at carbs. Now put in gear and push throttle all the way forward. Does the throttle linkage travel like 99% forward to WOT,(wide open position)? I adjust so there is a small amount of play in cable at idle so it will snap closed all the way for idle...and adjust the cable so it will pull the throttle linkage 99% full throttle. If needed I pull the controll handles out to make an adjustment there too to gain all I can. The Idle position at carbs needs a small amout of slack in cable only to "snap" to idle.(not taunt) Take your time to get it right. I gained like 5 mph after.

More speed is all about the details.
Karl

Is this also true of the carbs on a 720cc engine

Top Speed

I hit 49 yesterday in my 08 Challenger. 3 people, full tank in calm water with some slight waves.

97 Challenger 1800

I got 61 last weekend with my gps. I was low on gas and alone. The boat has some work done but not sure what other then new impellers and Fly spark arresters

2003 Sportster LE, 130HP Rotax, 110 compression across both cyl's, getting top end of 52/53mph with myself and one other, full tank of fuel, beer cooler and misc. items. Planes out in roughly 4 seconds.

Not bad for a single engine I'm thinking???

1996 Challenger single 787, 40 hours on bottom end and 15 hours on top end of engine. All stock other than swirl impeller. Max rpm is 7000 on tiny tach and GPS at 48 on calm water. Just me at 210 pounds, full tank of gas, cooler full of ice and beer.

60mph glass water me & my father both 190 pounds full tank of fuel..
Hair straight back baby..!!!

Well I haven't topped mine out put I easily get 45 on very very rough water with the top up and half tank of fuel and about 475lbs. on board. I had some steering issues too. I had some Smart Tabs on the back and they were not raising up until around 35 and pushing the boat over starboard and turning it port. It was really nerve racking but once past 35 it's flying thru the water.

I have since removed the the Smart Tabs and plan on taking it out to some smoother water. I got to get my wife up on her wake board. Lucky she is light.

Oh this is with my 2000 Challenger 1800 Mercury M2 210hp.

I use the smart tabs and love them. Makes the boat plane much quicker and really helps the porpusing.

Make sure you have the correct shocks for the size of boat and then play with the adjustments some. I use the smaller shocks and second to lowest adjustment on mine.

well glenwhitt. They didn't have the installed correctly and they had the 80 lbs actuators on there. So I am going to have to do some work and get a angle finder to make sure the deployed (down) position is at the correct angle. I believe it should be 25*. I may be re installing them soon I am going to give it a run without them and see what it's like. I need to make certian I have nothing else effecting the steering.

wow 80's. I think have just the 40's on mine. I can see why having 80's and not correctly setup would make steering difficult. I had a plastic bolt come out of mine once and i notice it right away. I had to counter it with the steering until i got back to land and re did things with some stainless bolts and stianless lock nuts. I have run the boat with acuatiors on and off on same day at same lake. It only changed my mph 1mph on the gps. And I had to run for 30 minutes to get it show the change. So to me it is no loss of speed. Best thing i ever bolted on this overgrown jet ski :)

my new boat!

i thought these boat were supposed to be pretty fast! i just bought a 2006 challenger cs w/tower. i get about 50mph with the top down! i didnt think that was bad! is there anything that i can do to get more speed out of it? the boat is almost brand new! i bought it with about 30hrs on it! the guy never used it!

EDIT: well i got a GPS and im only doing about 44 on smooth water! that seems about right! (i guess) my RPM will get to about 7800! just shy of 8000. so i hope the SC is still holding up! id like to replace the washers in the off season!

Last edited by a moderator:
97 speedster 717 x2 7000 rpm 56 mph with 4 ppl and cooler full of beer . no problem pulling anything . tested by spedo and other spedos from two other boats . (no gps to test with)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back