Wrong Fuel Filter???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmetro

Hi Folks,

I had my 2002 Utopia 205 240EFI out last week and everything ran top notch. I launched it today for the purpose of leaving it at my marina slip.

It started well and I was able to moor it temporarily so I could move my vehicle and trailer. When I returned, it started right away. The plan was to take it out on the lake, but I ran into a problem. I applied a bit of throttle and the engine started to sound like it was starving for gas. Eventually, the engine stopped (similar to the way a lawnmower conks out when it runs out of fuel..sorry for the poor analogy).

I was able to make it back to the dock (wind power haha) and did a bit of brainstorming. I realized the only thing that was different from my last ride was the new fuel filter. Thankfully, I had the old one with me. I replaced the new one with the old one. The engine cranked for about 5 to 10 seconds and then started. I puttered around the marina without any issue. The boat ran as it should. I was honestly a bit hesitant to take it out on the lake just in case there were any issues. I doubt it, but didn't have time to tinker around.

Here's a copy of the fuel filter part numbers. There are two....one is a Design 1 and the other a Design 2. My original old filter was a Design 1. Inadvertently, I purchased the Design 2. Last week, I called the marina back after looking at my motor and told him I had ordered the wrong filter. He had checked his 'books' and told me Design 1 is now replaced by Design 2 so I had the correct filter.

28 852546T 1 FILTER, Fuel - Design I - Painted
28 889615 1 FILTER, Fuel - Design II - Stainless Steel

The Design 2 is at least double the size of Design 1. I can only assume my engine did not like the Design 2 filter. Has anyone experienced this or ran into a similar situation.

I apologize for the long winded explanation. I thought it would be easier if I did so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back