won't start, just back fires out the exhaust

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

blake903

okay guys so im prolly gonna get flamed cuz its a wetjet im workin on but i cant find help anywhere else, and you guys were a great help on my rx. So the 95 wetjet needed a starter bendix, i pulled everything apart put the bendix in then reassembled. i turned the starter over for a few seconds and it backfired and blew up the waterbox, loudest explosion ive ever heard and fiberglass went ever. I have swapped the plug wires and it does it both ways so im guessing its timing, but maybe someone can help me out, thx in advance

Welcome... now go away non-seadoo person. (j/k)

Your ski should have a 701 Yamaha engine in it. But what one? Look on top and and you should see a 61x, or something like that on the case, the jugs, or the heads.

Let us know what you have.

Since you are popping into the exhaust, it's firing the plugs at the wrong time. Either you have a bad CDI (which is an issue with the early 701) or your stator coils are messed up. (shorted out)

sounds like you know your wetjets pretty good, lol
61x-00 is the number on top, how do i diagnose the problem?

and i removed the flywheel, but theres only one way it can go back on so that couldnt be a problem.. right???

sounds like you know your wetjets pretty good, lol
61x-00 is the number on top, how do i diagnose the problem?

Actually... I'm a Yamaha convert. (but still have a superjet) But, I knew that the wetjets used Yamaha engines.

and i removed the flywheel, but theres only one way it can go back on so that couldnt be a problem.. right???

Yes, the flywheel can only go on one way. That is... as long as the key isn't messed up.

OK, the 61x has a pulser coil. First, I would check to see if the flywheel is in good shape, (no magnets are cracked) and make sure the coils have not contacted the flywheel. Then, check the resistance of the pulser coil, and the high voltage coil. (the one with the thin wire) If they are both OK, and aren't shorted, or open... I would be pointing my finger at the CDI unit. If you look on eBay, just do a search for a 701 CDI. You should be able to get a good used one for $30 to $50

I think that engine can use the 650 CDI too.

Last edited by a moderator:
so what do i need to check? what could be bad? all i did was pull it off replace the bendix and pop it back on.

Pull the flywheel off again. Either the woodruff key is sheared or it got pushed out of the groove.

Chester

i know this thread is old and you guys have probably forgot about it but i still have had no luck on the ski... i have been very busy with work but just got some time to work on it, i just now got the flywheel off again, and when i popped it off i couldnt tell if the key was in but i heard a pop, im guessing was the key pop going to the magnet ao i believe it was fine... now i am 100% sure that the key is in the groove and the ski is still doing the same thing, i thought maybe the plug wires were backwards but i pulled them out and they fire at the same time so it shouldnt matter. any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i want to get this thing running and sold before winter. Thanks, Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back