Wont Start: 4 beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WChambers034

When I attempt to start my 2001 SeaDoo challenger I get 4 beeps as if It's not in Neutral. As far as I know everything seems to be in line. What does the 4 beeps mean and more importantly How do I get my challenger to start. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Neutral switch bad maybe??? I am sure one of the regulars with more knowledge will chime in.

4 beeps means it is not in neutral. Have you tried moving it around to see if it will beep once indicating it is in neutral.

I tried moving from forawrd to Reverse until I heard the single beep indicating I was in Neutral. It seems like it should be easier to get it in gear but takes a good amount of messing with it. Once it beeps once I try to start it and it beeps 4 times again. Any ideas? Appreciate the troubleshooting so far.

Solved similar problem

Just got a 1996 Challenger with same problem. I unscrewed the entire shifting mechanism. and lifted it up until I got one beep to indicate it was in neutral. Then my engine started. I turned it off and then tightened the nut at the bottom of the forward/neutral/reverse lever and I can find neutral every time now. It does the:cheers: single beep to indicate that its in neutral in a slightly forward position but it works and will start. Hope this helps.

:agree:

What he said.

You are going to need to remove the throttle assembly, and check/clean/replace the switch.

What engine do you have?

I have a 2001 Challenger and it has a Mercury SportJet engine. The "four beeps" signal is not associated with the neutral switch. If you're not in neutral, the engine won't crank but you don't get any other indication. Trust me, I've been though that system thoroughly while troubleshooting a bad neutral switch connection. Even with the wire completely disconnected you don't get four beeps... the only symptom is that your engine won't crank.

In 2001 Seadoo made the Challenger 1800 and the Challenger 2000, both with SportJets. I can't remember if there was a Rotax "Challenger" or not. If there was, its beeping patterns may be entirely different.

Wont Start 4 Beeps

Actually, the one I just bought is doing the same thing. It is the neutral switch and the last owner was nice enough to completely remove the switch.

Now I can turn it over but the wear ring is my new issue. Im not complaining as I got the boat from auction for $1200.

Reading the post and looking at the pictures from PWCtoday really helped. I have gotten alot of positive inputs from this site too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back