Winterizing a boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you looking at the shop manual, or users manual? There are two different ones. The shop manual I'm using is from 2005.

I'm looking at 2011 shop manual. It seems like sea doo changed the procedure. But I agree that anti-freezing is a best practice.

Also, I got challenger 180 se.

I pull off bottom hose on intercooler, hold it down low in bilge and drain the water out, lift it up and give it a drink of RV antifreeze and reinstall,then screw a short hose in the water connection at the back of the boat and start engine, dumping in more antifreeze till I see pink coming out the exhaust then you know it is pickled with antifreeze. The reason I start it up first to blow out excess water then shut off engine and pulling the hose off the intercooler is so you don't dilute the antifreeze. Then do you fogging last.You will see a gear clamp on the bottom hose of the intercooler and a crimped clamp on the top line, just remove the bottom hose.As mentioned before this maybe over kill but sure beats replacing swelled up parts next spring.

Although rv anti freeze seems like the green way to go you are totally missing out on any anti corrosion qualities of the 100% regular glycol. This is important in any heat exchanger unit. inner coolers included.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

seems like they changed the procedure in 2011.

Attachments

• exhaust_system_protection.jpg
    exhaust_system_protection.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
If I run antifreeze through the flush port is that all i have to do for the external intercooler exhaust system because I am not to sure which hose to unhook off the intercooler I can't tell which hose it is in the black and white picture in the manual and I don't want to do something wrong. It is the 260hp engine.

If I run antifreeze through the flush port is that all i have to do for the external intercooler exhaust system because I am not to sure which hose to unhook off the intercooler I can't tell which hose it is in the black and white picture in the manual and I don't want to do something wrong. It is the 260hp engine.

that's correct. You can use the same flush port for antifreeze as you use to flush the water out. I'm still debating between if pressurized air or antifreeze and I'm more and more leaving toward antifreeze (safe bet) - But I'm going at my dealer to pickup my ladder hatch hook, so I might ask his suggestion

Can you post what your dealer says I am also leaning towards the antifreeze I like to see it come out that way you know it is done.

I just got back from my dealer and he said that I always prefer to run "Anti-freeze" eventhough Sea-Doo has changed the procedure. It'd cost around $130 or less including labor (But he told me that $100 labor and rest of it for parts).

Also, He mentioned that He won't do the oil change unless it shows me the sign since I changed my oil/Filter in mid of july...I only put 10 hours after oil/filter change, so He sees no reason to change it right now.

At the end, He said, If you got 30 minutes of your life then you can do it yourself and save $130 this year..

Baumann, I just noticed that you got 260HP and you might have to follow the procedure little different (may be someone can shed more light for 255HP or 260HP)

P.S. According to him, If you have got "Extended Warranty" and save all the receipts then it won't void your extended warranty if you perform Winterization or OIL/Filter Change.

After reading the 2012 Service Manual under Storage Procedure for intercooler draining of the 255/260HP engine:

Disconnect the throttle body intake hose from the throttle body, start & rev the engine several times to 4000RPM expelling water. It shows photos of the intake hose from the intercooler disconnected from the throttle body with water coming out of the hose with the engine running. Turn the engine off, clean/lubricate the throttle body hose flange and reconnect the hose to throttle body.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was an excellent post. I have a 2012 210Se. Can someone post some specific directions on fogging, as I boat is always in salt water and I would like a 1 thru .. steps. Thank you!

Is that the hose on the port or starboard side of the intercooler that you have to pull off I am not able to go out and look at my boat right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back