Whoops i hit a reef !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo

To cut a long story short i was out in semi choppy waters. And accidently hit a reef and began to take on water the minute i knew what had happened .i Cut the motor and coasted it onto a sand bar and caled the coast gaurd for rescue . i anchored the boat so when the tide eventually came up she wouldn't drift. I then returned to salvage her some 2 days later with a salvage operator least to say she was still somwhat semi alfoat. We then pumped the water out of her then tied her off went & took her back to the boat ramp back on the trailer and inspected the damage. and found a 2 foot tear under where the engine sits ... so i will have it repaired ..my only worry is the engine at this point. When i got it home i presure washed all the salt off everything let it dry then pulled the dipstick and there was water in the dipstick and sump which i pumped out and put fresh oil in. i then removed spark plugs and found around 4 mils of water in cylinder number 3 pumps that out and sprayed xps lube in side each cylinder i dont have a battery to restart her so i have left her like that for a little while i am about to go though a whole load of things before trying to restart her for testing only is there anything else i should check any advice at this point apprciated in advance ....

You need to get it running right away. If rust sets in the motor could be junk. Change oil, get it started, change oil, start again, repeat until oil is clear.

Agreed, get that thing running right away! It will take a lot of oil changes to get all that water out of the oil (like 6). After you pump all the oil out, you're still left with like a quart in various places in the motor. After the second oil change, I would perform the boil-out procedure, where you clamp one of the oil cooler lines and run it for a while. Then change oil again. There is a write-up on this in the repair manual.

How big was the actual puncture hole? Was the hole 2' long, or just the scrape? I have 2 bilge pumps in my boat, one 550gph, one 1300. The hope is that if something like this ever happens, I have bail water enough to get somewhere save so it never sinks. I too ride in places where there are reefs, so this is of particular interest. Got pics?

Agreed, get that thing running right away! It will take a lot of oil changes to get all that water out of the oil (like 6). After you pump all the oil out, you're still left with like a quart in various places in the motor. After the second oil change, I would perform the boil-out procedure, where you clamp one of the oil cooler lines and run it for a while. Then change oil again. There is a write-up on this in the repair manual.

How big was the actual puncture hole? Was the hole 2' long, or just the scrape? I have 2 bilge pumps in my boat, one 550gph, one 1300. The hope is that if something like this ever happens, I can bail water long enough to get somewhere safe so it never sinks. I too ride in places where there are reefs, so this is of particular interest. Got pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back