Where to start?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a stock setup [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] may be able to help you trouble shoot the electrical system

Got a compression tester somewhere I'll dig it out if it turns over by hand. Took the steering housing off but the impeller housing is sticking a bit. It seems loose at the bottom and kinda stuck at the top with only slight movement. There is a bit of sealant where the 2 pipes meet the hull near the top just checking there is nothing else to remove before I pull it properly. I live about 3 hours away from Edinburgh it's a fairly rural area.

Also there is a picture of the plugs they don't look good I hope the cylinders aren't the same.

20170227_154416_zpsgtkpiqwn.jpg
20170228_194103_zpsiyada4jy.jpg
20170228_194522_zpsaehwo5ll.jpg

You have to remove the clear hoses with zip ties from the inside of the hull. They can hold the pump up.

With the plugs that rusty there is a very good chance the cylinders and crank are in rough shape.

Yep, those plugs dont look good. Bad feeling.... If you have all 4 nuts off the pump, then it should come off . It is probably glued on with some RTV. Tap it with a rubber hammer or pry a little with a piece of wood.

If you get it out, and the motor still wont turn over, you can pull off the head. Just the bolts on top. Then you can look at the pistons and see what the cylinders look like. Look at my Shamu Thread (link below) and you will see where I did this.

Jet Shed gets good reviews (in U.K. too), but it's a fair trek for you.
Hit up the Facebook page Lothian Jet ski, they get out on Loch Lomond all the time and might be able to put you in touch with a good place.

Like has been said, pull the head. It's a 10m job. Just torque it down in order when you put it back.

Stay WELL CLEAR of The Jetski Centre. They're a right band of con artists with the technical ability of a potato. See my rebuild thread for the full story :)

If you want to sell it, let me know. I'm just outside Newcastle and wouldn't mind another addition to the family.

While we're on the subject can someone tell me the size of those clear tubes that go on the pump?...looking to replace mine.dont mean to hijack.

Can you put a flashlight down the plug holes on this ski model? You should be able to detect rust if the plugs are that bad. Some mechanics also have cameras that fit in in there.

Benji.

Went out to pull impeller off but something is still holding it and I can do get enough of a grip on it to pull. So instead I pulled the head and what I found wasn't good.

Did clean it up a bit with carb cleaner and a soft cloth but I'm guessing it's had it?

20170301_195158_zpslbcrg8cp.jpg
20170301_195207_zpsqg4gqb0b.jpg
20170301_195618_zpsmouoiik5.jpg

Worth rebuilding or not? It looks worse than it is cleans off easily piston crown seems ok. Pistons are stamped guessing that's the sizes?

That is what happens when you ride in salt water and don't flush it afterwards.

So far it looks salvageable. You are going to have to do a full rebuild though. Cleaning and bead blasting might even clean up the water jackets.

How much is a full rebuild kit? Pistons look ok but I suppose it depends what the skirt and ringlands look like.

Salt crystals look but but they cleaned up fairly easily.

With a pipe and aftermarket carbs that ski is going to run pretty hard. I would not chance the old internals. You are going to have to just price them yourself because I am sure pricing is much different in Scotland. IF it were her in the U.S. you are probably going to spend $1,000 U.S. for a good quality DIY rebuild using quality parts that will survive in a piped ski.

New pistons and rings With cylinder bore.
Rebuilt crank.
Rebuild balancer shaft.
Rebuild Rotary shaft.
Complete gasket kit.
Genuine mikuni Carb kits with needle and seats.

Right now it's 50/50 if I rebuild it or sell it for parts. Found a company that do rebuilds starting from £800 or they sell a new crank for £420 and top end rebuild kit for £180 What kind of money could I get for parts the way it sits?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now it's 50/50 if I rebuild it or sell it for parts. Found a company that do rebuilds starting from

Depends on how keen you are to keep it. I've just sold my working 1996 xp800 for £850 they don't seem to fetch the same sort of money over here like they do in the US. You could break it but again I think the higher demand for parts would be in the US.
They are a fun ski thou so fixing it would see you have plenty of fun on it.

Heard good things about jet shed. One of our lads got his Yamaha pump rebuilt by jet shed and they did a cracking job.

Right now it's 50/50 if I rebuild it or sell it for parts. Found a company that do rebuilds starting from £800 or they sell a new crank for £420 and top end rebuild kit for £180 What kind of money could I get for parts the way it sits?

I know its different with the currency and demand for old skis and parts but for what you have in it with all those parts already on it it will be a real bad ass worth keeping if it were me:cheers:

800 pounds for a rebuild doesn't sound that bad to me if I consider my Canadian experience of 2015 (1,400.00$ CDN). Might be worth it if the rest of the ski is in good shape. I looked however that you will have to replace several parts on the impeller side of it as well. And how is the electrical part of it, especially the fuse box at the back and electrical cabling? This ski has seen lots of sea water. This is the down point.

Benji.

After a lot of research and thinking I've decided to sell rather than repair. Preferably I'd like to sell it as one to save any hassle but it can be broke for parts if there isn't enough interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back