Where to start?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve198946

A little bit about me to start with
I'm new to the forum and to all forms of water craft. I'm 27 live in Scotland and although I have no experience with these I'm fairly handy with cars and bikes so hopefully some of that will help.

Ok so a guy I went to school with was selling a jet ski extremely cheap (£125) which had sat in his garage for around 2 years. He's a mechanic and a car modification fanatic so I thought I'd take a chance even though it wasn't running. His pitch to me was that it was an ex race ski bored out to 900cc and has uprated ignition, carbs, exhaust, intake, steering.......etc and also it was running fine when last used but they all say that.

The problem
When a battery is attached there is no power to anything at all no gauges, buttons nothing. Also with it being sat so long I'm a little worried it might be siezed but I'll get to that soon hoping that some oil would be left in cylinders to stop that.

I've took pictures of what I could they are not the best but any info or help on where to get started on fixing it would be good. Also if any aftermarket parts worth mentioning could be identified it would be handy as it will either be fixed or broke for parts depending on costs.

Thanks in advance
Steve

20170226_174023_zpspneigtxy.jpg
20170226_174104_zpsh9wotqlb.jpg
20170226_174110_zpsmdaaawke.jpg
20170226_174127_zps7gbifhkv.jpg
20170226_174210_zpsozugvh2a.jpg
20170226_174221_zpslodfwg4t.jpg
20170226_174254_zpsln4lwhjp.jpg
20170226_174301_zpsntcblwy0.jpg
20170226_174307_zpsadoox1p9.jpg
20170226_174332_zpsrbl26zt5.jpg
20170226_174337_zps2jpszglz.jpg
20170226_174343_zpshnuny9rd.jpg
20170226_174355_zpsuoeabtg4.jpg
20170226_174403_zpstvwoh2b1.jpg

Attachments

• 20170226_174023.jpg
    20170226_174023.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
I would start by trying to turn the engine by hand. Depending on the model there is a plastic guard that you can remove just behind the engine and you can start by trying to turn the engine by turning the shaft with your hands. If it turns, it would be a sign that it is not seized. Depending on the result, there are dozens of other steps to follow.

Benji.

Nice ski, somebody probably did race it 15 years ago.

Do you have the DESS lanyard? There should be a small black wire and the large black ground wire attached to the battery. Check the 15A fuse in the rear electrical box which is what powers the mpem. Gauges should come to life when you put the lanyard on or press the start button.

I did think it was good for the price but I suppose that depends if I can get it running. From what I can see I think it's a 1996 XP maybe somebody could confirm? I'll try turning it over by hand tomorrow and see how that goes. There is a lanyard but even with it connected still nothing will try fuse also cheers.

Pull plugs turn over by hand as noted above. If it does, you may get oil out of the cylinders if the crank seal is bad or weak.

You can jump the solenoid if you want. This should crank the engine over, (pull plugs first). Put a towel over the holes as, if there is oil it will come out at a GREAT speed !!!

You stole that thing! This is the plastic cover benji is talking about, 2 wing nuts and it comes off then you can grab the flywheel under it and spin the motor by hand with the plugs outScreenshot_2017-02-26-19-45-58.jpg
I dont know about the ski market in scottland but you have a lot of $$$ in aftermarket parts.

Firstly thanks very much for everyones help so far its much appreciated.

At it just now took plugs out they were corroded but threads still oiled. Once out I took the plastic cover off and tried to turn it over with the flywheel and the shaft but it wouldn't budge. Obviously you can't get much purchase on it but it should turn over fairly easy with plugs out? What does everyone recommend pouring down plug holes? I'm hoping it's just stuck through sitting too long rather than siezed.

In the black front electric box there is no fuse or any sign of a holder, is there another one I'm missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it should turn fairly easily but it could be something else also: the impeller. If the impeller is stuck for some reason, I believe that could prevent you from turning the engine by hand. The next step would be to remove it and look for damage or debris. For that, you have to work from the back of the ski. I am not a mechanics but I heard that it is not difficult to do. Once you have confirmed that nothing is stuck in the impeller, then it will indicate a problem with the engine or peripheral parts such as a seized starter engaged in the engine.

I am sure others will come with better instructions than me because my mechanical skills are rather weak.

Benji.

As far as these go my mechanical skills are 0 so any input is very useful thanks. My loving 2 year old did put some stones in for me but I fished them out.

Is the pump and impeller fairly straight forward to remove when I look at them or is there a guide at all?

Remove the 10mm steering cable bolt, then the 8mm trim arm rod, then the 4 13mm pump nozzle bolts then the 4 17mm pump housing nuts. the pump will pull out the back.

There are also hoses on the inside of the hull to disconnect on the older pumps like this one.

Hello my fellow Scotsman,

Nice ski, was obviously someone's pride and joy in the past.

There are loads of videos on Youtube on how to remove the jetpump if you get stuck, like this one Seadoo Jet Pump Removal - YouTube

Get yourself a shop manual from seadoomanuals (google it) 1997 XP

Have a read of the manual, specifically the bit about removing the jet pump. Then watch the video if you need a demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has msd ignition so any key will work. It may be setup for race gas so you may want to take it to someone who knows a little about a high performance seadoo.

Pretty sure most of the uk racers use jet shed might want to look them up and see who the recommend to go through it

Well... Just an FYI on the model year. If you look at the serial # on there rear of the ski in one of your pictures, it is the vin. The last two numbers is the mfg year.

Being used to working on cars and bikes and paying for manuals it's good to know they are free online. The info on removing jet pump was very useful going to do that tonight and try and turn by hand again.

I do hope to get it running even if I have to spend a good bit on it but if it's going to cost more than its worth I will break it for parts. That's handy to know it's definately a 96 xp then cheers.

Since it is all unknown, if you get it to spin over, then you should do a compression check on it. That will tell us a lot. Once you get the pump off, try to spin it over. If it does then great! Then I would just use a screwdriver and jump across the two big terminals on the starter solenoid to see if that makes the starter turn. Typical issues on these skis not turning over (as long as they are not locked up) have to do with bad connections at the harnesses and/or cables. But as a tip, you can jump start it from a car battery, but don't do it while the car is running or use a high voltage jump box. You can fry the electronics in them. Where in Scotland are you? I will be in Edinburgh in June!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back